O' Halloran For Scotland - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

O' Halloran For Scotland

Ormond

to put this in perspectvie Derek Riordan was deemed not good enough for scotland when he was banging in 20 goals a season with countless assists from out wide when the league was of a much higher standard in his early twenties.

this thread will be getting pulled up again in 2 seasons when o'halloran is at gillingham

Edited by LewisEDI

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to put this in perspectvie Derek Riordan was deemed not good enough for scotland when he was banging in 20 goals a season with countless assists from out wide when the league was of a much higher standard in his early twenties.

this thread will be getting pulled up again in 2 seasons when o'halloran is at gillingham

Yes. This, exactly.

Riordan was good enough, his attitude was his downfall unfortunately.

we are that good we are writing players off if they have not made it by the time they are 24?

i remember another time my team signed an uncapped 26 year old from falkirk and he went on to win 69 caps

Exactly,

new golden boy Ritchie was playing for Dagenham not all that long ago, very unfair to write off ohalloran. I have been very impressed by him anytime I've seen him, hope he continues to improve.

we are that good we are writing players off if they have not made it by the time they are 24?

i remember another time my team signed an uncapped 26 year old from falkirk and he went on to win 69 caps

Indeed. The current top scorer in the EPL was making his big move from the Northern Premier League to the Conference Premier at about the same age as O'Halloran is just now.

Just like in normal life, footballers can mature at different ages (or not at all in the case of Riordan, O'Connor etc).

Calum mcgregor? What happened to him ?

On the bench at Celtic. In all honesty he's not a prospect. Mediocre player. Called up purely because of a couple of flukey goals in Europe. Done nothing since then.

Still, at least he didn't have the media wanking all over him like Fleck had.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

Aye, but most of those caps were gained when he was playing at a higher level than your team could offer him. Or mine, as I'm a Falkirk fan and IMO he was good enough to play at international level when he was with us.

I can't see O Halloran being considered for a call up as long as he's at St Johnstone. That's not a criticism of his ability, it's the just the way things are under Strachan.

We aren't good enough to quality for Euro 16 and people think the way to improve our squad is pick a St Johnstone player who is having an very average season.....thread is beyond laughable!! If he was playing so well where is the media attention about him? That good only his manager making a noise about him & only after a game against Morton!!

Edited by radian_13

Aye, but most of those caps were gained when he was playing at a higher level than your team could offer him. Or mine, as I'm a Falkirk fan and IMO he was good enough to play at international level when he was with us.

I can't see O Halloran being considered for a call up as long as he's at St Johnstone. That's not a criticism of his ability, it's the just the way things are under Strachan.

Managed to play in the World Cup for Scotland when he was at hearts.

Any regular for Scotland who is not playing for Celtic is going to end up down south pretty quick.

We aren't good enough to quality for Euro 16 and people think the way to improve our squad is pick a St Johnstone player who is having an very average season.....thread is beyond laughable!! If he was playing so well where is the media attention about him? That good only his manager making a noise about him & only after a game against Morton!!

Clown

I'm not singling anyone out but I would just say to anyone who thinks such and such players shouldn't be considered for Scotland purely because of the club they play for, remember this......

A sixteen year old James McCarthy was ignored by that fool Ross Mathie all because he played for Hamilton Accies rather than a "big team".

And that turned out well for us so it did :rolleyes:

I'm not singling anyone out but I would just say to anyone who thinks such and such players shouldn't be considered for Scotland purely because of the club they play for, remember this......

A sixteen year old James McCarthy was ignored by that fool Ross Mathie all because he played for Hamilton Accies rather than a "big team".

And that turned out well for us so it did :rolleyes:

Textbook straw man argument. Sorry, but anybody still turning out against English non-league rejects in the SPL in their mid 20s won't cut it.

If by very average you mean skinning every full back he plays against and making match winning contributions every week, then I agree with you.

I love how people who have probably never seen him play can comment with such authority on how he's playing. He may not be Scotland's saviour, but to say he's shite and having an average season is laughable.

If by very average you mean skinning every full back, centre back and random midfielder (all at once) he plays against and making match winning contributions every week, then I agree with you.

I

There, I fixed that. And, to the peeps who think he hasn't scored enough goals - why would we play him as a regular striker? We have McLean and Cummings to score the goals, Mikey just sets them up. I've been going to Scotland games since 1980. Saints games since the very early 70s. This is the first time I have seriously touted a St J player to be in the main Scotland set up. He desreves it

• 1 month later...