Nfl 2014/15 - Page 11 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

TartanTeddy

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are there quotes, Kenny?

Google Russell Wilson thanks God and a YouTube of him post match is there - so not so much quotes as footage. I notice that there's some interesting comments from Aaron Rodgers, who is also Christian, and the losing QB in the game saying he doesn't think God cares about football - as a Bear I don't usually go for the Packers side, but on this occasion I think Rodgers is spot on (with the caveat that I'm an atheist), but you know what I mean.

Wee dude hat caught the interception thought he was blessed - so not really getting at Wilson more people who assign a higher power to their success and ignore the obvious that people of equal and greater faith have failed at the self same time.

Today, I think the world could see that the game came down to some insane play calling which you assume was down to the pressure of the situation - just madness not to run!!

TT

I dont like the Patriots but I think they deserved another SB on the basis of their amazing consistency over the Brady/Belichick era.

What a sequence of events though: the bizarre catch, Belichick not calling timeout with the ball on the 1 and the clock running out (at first I thought: some balls on Bill here but actually did he just have a brain freeze?) then an amazing play on the ball to get the interception. I think if Belichick calls the timeout the Seahawks get enough time to talk themselves out of the bold call to pass it there. I'm not so obsessed with giving the ball to Lynch there, I say use Wilsons legs to take it in. Maybe Seattle should have taken the timeout and made sure they were absolutely set on the right play, but then I dont think for a minute they expected Belichick to just let the clock run down.

I can't see past the ball to Lynch, just feel it was inevitable that he would make it one if not two attempts from the one yard line - and you remove the chance of an interception. Letting Wilson run would also have been an option - I just can't see how you call the pass in that position, unless you think that he Patriots are all completely focussed on the run. I guess if the pass works everyone would be calling Carroll a genius and maverick, so maybe he wanted to get a bit of the Belichick aura of being unconventional.

Really like Bellichick, and while he should have lost that one, glad he got the win!

TT

I had a treble on

Celtic half time/full time

Arsenal -2 goals

Seattle

Went to my bed before half time as it looked as if the Pats were going to coast it - and my Amendola first touch down bet was gubbed

When i woke up and heard the score i couldnt believe it had been that close - and then i seen how it ended

To say i was raging is an understatement due to my line being cruelly gubbed and THEM winning it ...

I guess if the pass works everyone would be calling Carroll a genius and maverick, so maybe he wanted to get a bit of the Belichick aura of being unconventional.

It was crazy not to run Lynch, especially when he had just ran it inside the one yard line on the play before. But Pete Carroll was (rightly) lauded for going for the TD throw with 6 seconds left in the first half as opposed to kicking a field goal. Live by the sword, die by the sword...

To say i was raging is an understatement due to my line being cruelly gubbed and THEM winning it ...

Just when i thought the victory couldn't get any sweeter. :wave:

Tried to second guess and be cute and got caught out.

Isn't Lynch meant to be a total beast? 1 yard to go and you have a "beast" powerback and don't use them. John Riggins would have got the ball and the score.

Just when i thought the victory couldn't get any sweeter. :wave:

I was going to make a Seahawks joke ...but i think i'll pass ...

1969358_10203919044950168_11384392063839

I was going to make a Seahawks joke ...but i think i'll pass ...

1969358_10203919044950168_11384392063839

:-))

TT

Seahawks will be feeling pretty "deflated" after that one !

I can't remember, thought Seattle were out of timeouts? With 20 seconds left, they'd only get one more play if they ran the ball (and remember Lynch was stopped short the previous play). At least a passing play gave them a couple more shots - I don't think it was a bad call, just very badly executed. Only thing in Wilson's mind should be to avoid an interception and only go for it if safe. No one would have questioned the call if it wasn't intecepted.

No one's questioning the call at the end of the first half, because it came off (and ruined my Pats HT-FT bet grrrr).

As mentioned, one timeout left so the running play to Lynch was the expected call, and in hindsight, the obvious call. But it was also the one the Patriots were set to defend, so the pass was unexpected and could have caught everyone off guard.

But Lynch, in what they call 'beast mode' is a really hard player to stop when he needs a yard for a TD especially when that would win the Superbowl. In 1985 everyone wanted Walter Payton to get a touchdown in the Superbowl but when push came to shove (quite literally) Ditka called the most obvious play from a couple of yards, which was to give the ball to William Perry (the Fridge) because quite simply he had the size and strength to push the ball over the line and in the environment of a Superbowl nothing was going to stop him - same applied yesterday, even knowing the play I doubt the Pats could have stopped Lynch once and certainly not twice!

It's just a stunning call given the circumstances!

TT

Any other time in the game, or any other game and it's an interesting bold move, less than thirty seconds to go in the Super Bowl you have to think that the best call is to put it in the hands of your best player - but as mentioned above, if you live by the sword.

Interestingly I'm reading a book on the Patriots that was done a few years back (Patriot Reign) and just got to the chapter on Pete Carroll and the author gives a bit of a character assassination calling him school teacher like and someone that would never get beyond average - quite cringing to read given his success in Seattle!

Looking forward to the draft and schedule release but it is the one thing I hate about the Nfl, a six month off season!!

TT

Edited by TartanTeddy

Ah well, if they still had a timeout left, that maybe changes things. What a crazy game though (in general). With my money on the Pats, I was actually hoping Seattle would get across the line quickly in that last drive just so Brady had the slimmest of chances (20 seconds or so) to get NE back into field goal range to force overtime.

Must be the only game in the world where you can actually want your opponents score !

I agree TT, 6 month off season now is very frustrating.

He was open though

1601396_926754610681686_2492364547716290

that picture doesn't tell the whole story though, everyone is in motion, and positions at the time of release means little, where everyone is when the ball arrives is the crucial point and Butler (the covering back) is in motion having read the play and attacks the ball, the situation changed dramatically in the tenths of seconds after the release of the ball.

As mentioned, one timeout left so the running play to Lynch was the expected call, and in hindsight, the obvious call. But it was also the one the Patriots were set to defend, so the pass was unexpected and could have caught everyone off guard.

also considering how stat obsessed the sporting culture is, the Seahawks were the 2nd best in the league at power-running and the patriots dead last in defence of power running. Also a huge gap on stuffing and avoiding stuff in favour of the Seahawks.

* according to some article i read with links to the stats which seemed right, i'm no expert.

40/1 right now. Lump on!

I'll give you 100/1, will accept cash, cheques bitcoins and flashing badges!!

Not that the Bears will fair much better next year

TT

Question for Scotty. last week Russell Wilson was very vocal about God's guidance and how it won the game. do you think God was pissed with him for that, and hence the interception? I mean if I was God and though folk were claiming I was that influential for one player over others, I'd make him throw a last minute interception too!

Is this it?

"I just believe that God's prepared me for these situations."

Are there quotes, Kenny?

I can't find where he said that he won because of God, or that God favoured him or his team.

(Did he say that elsewhere, or is it an inaccurate paraphrase on your part?)

If he did say it, then I don't feel that it would be the correct thing to say about the outcome of a sports contest (but I honestly don't know).

"And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28

I'm not an expert on the serendipity of the universe.

Blessings come in all forms.

Some we recognise, some we might (think we) recognise, some we don't see, some we take for granted, some we don't see till later on, etc.

Only God can keep track of it all, but it wouldn't come down to only the value placed by mortals of winning one game.

There's a much bigger prize.

Google Russell Wilson thanks God and a YouTube of him post match is there - so not so much quotes as footage. I notice that there's some interesting comments from Aaron Rodgers, who is also Christian, and the losing QB in the game saying he doesn't think God cares about the outcome of football games...

I think that God cares about everything (especially His children).

They would be the priority.

Would I feel blessed as a Christian playing in a major final of my chosen sport? Yes

Would I feel that I got there all by myself (without God)? No

...as a Bear I don't usually go for the Packers side...

That a historical religious scandal comment?

...but on this occasion I think Rodgers is spot on (with the caveat that I'm an atheist), but you know what I mean.

Flawed mortals wouldn't be the route to go to try and disprove the existence of God anyway.

(None of them are perfect.)

God's Word however...

Wee dude hat caught the interception thought he was blessed...

I would agree.

...so not really getting at Wilson more people who assign a higher power to their success and ignore the obvious that people of equal and greater faith have failed at the self same time.

I don't believe that only the winners were blessed, though.

I believe that every one involved was blessed.

How could they not be?

I don't believe that it comes down to what you believe it comes down to.