Nfl 2014/15 - Page 7 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

TartanTeddy

Not looking forward to Rex being fired tomorrow

Looking forward to Trestman and Tucker being fired tomorrow. May combust in excitement if Emery joins them.

TT

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

£160 for me and the boy.

£52.50 for a kids season ticket is a steal. Three interest free instalments. First in January, then I think it's May and August. Roughly £50 each instalment.

J

Bought an adult season and will try to schedule meetings in London, but worth it if I make a couple of games and I can also sell on any game I can't make it to. Just have to wait until April to plan my Bears trip - Seattle or Green Bay top the list!!

TT

Cant wait for the playoffs just gutted the dolphins arent in it, again. The patriots i cannot see getting go the superbowl, but its really tough go call this year, should be a good post season

As I see it the Patriots will likely get the Colts at Gillette and then Denver, so it won't be easy, but when it comes to meaningful games the Patriots really know how to use homefield advantage - but it's certainly far from a shoo in. I think Green Bay v Seattle will be the likely game to decide the NFC team and that should be a cracker!!

TT

As I see it the Patriots will likely get the Colts at Gillette and then Denver, so it won't be easy, but when it comes to meaningful games the Patriots really know how to use homefield advantage - but it's certainly far from a shoo in. I think Green Bay v Seattle will be the likely game to decide the NFC team and that should be a cracker!!

TT

Packers v Seahawks will be a great game. Rogers looked in a bit of trouble last night though with his calf, hopefully he'll be fit for next week.

J

You got your wish.

Still need Tucker out of there but getting Emery away is icing on the cake and opens the door for some real change - and if it's not too late, then there might be the possibility to steal Harbaugh away from Michigan - though not sure to the extent that this is a done deal and/or whether the McCaskeys would shell out the cash required.

Should be a very interesting off season!!

TT

Still need Tucker out of there but getting Emery away is icing on the cake and opens the door for some real change - and if it's not too late, then there might be the possibility to steal Harbaugh away from Michigan - though not sure to the extent that this is a done deal and/or whether the McCaskeys would shell out the cash required.

Should be a very interesting off season!!

TT

I'm sure I read something that Harbaugh's salary at MSU will be in excess of $8Mpa. Is that right? I knew College football was massive in the States but didn't think they'd be paying anything close to that. I'm surprised Super Ally hasn't fired his CV over....

I'm sure I read something that Harbaugh's salary at MSU will be in excess of $8Mpa. Is that right? I knew College football was massive in the States but didn't think they'd be paying anything close to that. I'm surprised Super Ally hasn't fired his CV over....

Not just the money, spookily, Michigan Stadiums nickname is 'the Big House' :shocked:

Wolverines dodged a bullet getting Harbaugh (seems a done deal at $8M) rather than Super Ally!

TT

That salary is incredible for about 11/12 games a year! Although if he can get the crowds back , he'll pay for himself.

dlnuymwld2hpw4uxcfts.jpg

Doesn't really reflect the type of terms and conditions I get with my job, though his base is only $5million per annum, so I guess he has to do a bit to up it to the reported $8 million - but no one said it was going to be easy! :ok:

TT

College players getting nothing for playing coach gets 8 mill, some business

Apparently the impact of Harbaugh improves recruiting prospects, so players will look to go to Michigan over other Big Ten Schools etc. Gate receipts - Michigan Stadium holds over 100,000. Prestige and it will be a draw for students, lecturers etc. College in the States particularly at this level is about big business almost more than academic achievement.

Michigan still won't touch Alabama in terms of football but it could, if Harbaugh is a success, project them ahead of their main rivals such as Ohio State, Notre Dame, Michigan State!

Interesting move given he had a pick of at least three NFL teams, all of whom are potentially big market teams.

TT

Apparently the impact of Harbaugh improves recruiting prospects, so players will look to go to Michigan over other Big Ten Schools etc. Gate receipts - Michigan Stadium holds over 100,000. Prestige and it will be a draw for students, lecturers etc. College in the States particularly at this level is about big business almost more than academic achievement.

Michigan still won't touch Alabama in terms of football but it could, if Harbaugh is a success, project them ahead of their main rivals such as Ohio State, Notre Dame, Michigan State!

Interesting move given he had a pick of at least three NFL teams, all of whom are potentially big market teams.

TT

Thats all well and good ted but the way the players are treated is a disgrace, given the money that is generated. Modern day slavery.

Thats all well and good ted but the way the players are treated is a disgrace, given the money that is generated. Modern day slavery.

I agree to an extent - especially around things like image rights for star players. But I also like the collegiate structure and realistically only a handful of players from top colleges make it to the bigs each year, for the rest it's a part of their schooling - and how cool would it be to go to Uni, play in front of 100,000 fans and be coached by one of the best tactical minds in that sport.

TT

I was reading a thing about the draft last night and it was highlighting the difference in cash offered to players. I can't remember what year it was but the guy drafted first (I think he was a QB who went to the Texans) was given something like a $20M signing bonus and $48M contract over 3 years. The player drafted last got a $20K signing bonus and $900K contract over 3 years. Now while that's still healthy for a young man in his early twenties to be taking home the difference is startling and I never really considered that there could be such disparity in earnings between players in the same team. While football has huge disparity in it's earnings you don't normally see it so evidently in players at the same club.

It also got me thinking about the Harbaugh salary and how Michigan would be able to make it value for money. Do colleges receive any money from the NFL for players that are successful in the draft?

I'm not aware of colleges getting anything from the NFL (though it's not impossible they won't) but you have to remember that College football particularly in the South and in the Big Ten school area is a religion, and with that comes huge crowds (100K at Michigan as an example) and major TV rights. Add into that advertising, player image rights and ability to increase tuition fees based on the attractiveness of the sporting prowess of the school and you can see that Harbaugh's salary will be covered.

I think I'm right in saying that in something like 48 States the highest paid University staff members are all either Football or Basketball coaches. In two (and I might be exaggerating) the highest paid is an academic!

TT

Just a basic, and mind boggling example:

"One unusual element of the Big Ten's television contracts is that it has a separate deal for its championship game with Fox. While ESPN and the Big Ten Network air plenty of regular season football games, Fox is paying $24.1 million per year to air the Big Ten Championship Game until 2016. The winner of this game will play in the Rose Bowl or even the BCS Championship, depending on its rank."

That's one game, one game, in one conference (where Michigan play), and I would argue it's certainly not the most popular conference in college football.

TT

Just had a look at regular season TV deals.

Big Ten (including Harbaugh's Michigan) and excluding the above championship game $112 Million per annum.

Pac 12 (including Alabama, Auburn and the Florida teams) a measly $250 Million per annum!! :blink: Just TV rights, not ticket sales, advertising, sponsorship etc!!

Guess that's how you can pay the coaches so much!

TT

Annual making an arse of myself time with the playoff picks.

here we go

Wildcard weekend

NFC

5 Arizona @ 4 Carolina - teams with losing records shouldn't be hosting playoff games however with all the injuries Arizona have I'm picking CAROLINA to win this low scoring defensive battle.

6 Detroit @ 3 Dallas - interesting matchup. Dallas have looked vunerable at home at times this season but I'm gonna pick em to win this game and continue the momentum from a great season for at least 1 more week. DALLAS

AFC

5 Cincinnati @ 4 Indianapolis - INDIANAPOLIS. Cincy don't win playoff games and i'm confident they won't win here.

6 Baltimore @ 3 Pittsburgh - blockbuster game between these two which really could go either way but I'm gonna go for the home team again this weekend and say PITTSBURGH to squeeze through.

hopefully come monday morning i'll be 4-0 but somehow I doubt it

enjoy the games

Why do the Bungals even bother ?

I said ages ago that they simply exist to waste someone elses chances of getting to the play offs.

That is all they are

Their coach has NEVER won a playoff game

Dalton now goes 0-4 postseason

Absolute murder

(and yes i took them on the spread)