Points System - When Did It Start - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Points System - When Did It Start

tartanpar

Does anyone remember when the points system started?

It wasn't before 1999 as I remember I applied for a ticket for the Czech Republic game and never got one but because of that I was guaranteed one for the play off with England.

I also remember they gave a point for one of the early B games but think that was a one off.

Edited by tartanpar

I seem to remember the Czech game in Prague being a straight ballot (I got one)? Could be wrong though.

Edit: Now I come to think of it there might have been a ballot at a certain level of points. At France '98 I think it was based on the number of away games attended during the qualifying campaign - I fell one short of being guaranteed a ticket for all the group games - frustratingly I'd been to the Estonia game in Monaco but didn't get my ticket through the STC (still got a ticket for the Brazil game though).

Edited by Charlie Endell

Did they not always have a points system, but up to 2002ish was there not only something like 15/18k'ish members in the Travel Club, so rarely used? Probably when they rebranded in the mid 2000's that points became more important? Dortmund in 2003 is when I recall points becoming more of a issue.

The German B game in Mannhiemm appears on my SSC purchase history, but unsure if that was a point.

Edited by wanderer

I seem to remember the Czech game in Prague being a straight ballot (I got one)? Could be wrong though.

Edit: Now I come to think of it there might have been a ballot at a certain level of points. At France '98 I think it was based on the number of away games attended during the qualifying campaign - I fell one short of being guaranteed a ticket for all the group games - frustratingly I'd been to the Estonia game in Monaco but didn't get my ticket through the STC (still got a ticket for the Brazil game though).

The Czech game in 1999 was a straight ballot, overseen IIRC by Tommy Madden from WESTA.

For the WC finals in 1998, it worked like this. If you had been to three or more qualifiers *or* you'd been to the game in Tallinn you got tickets for all three group games. If you'd been to two games, you were offered a ticket for the Brazil game - I think there might have been an option to swap it if you weren't going to the Brazil game. If you'd been to one qualifier then you were offered a ticket for either Norway or Morocco. There was a voucher for a ticket if we got through the group stage but I've no idea what the qualification was for that.

Does anyone remember when the points system started?

It wasn't before 1999 as I remember I applied for a ticket for the Czech Republic game and never got one but because of that I was guaranteed one for the play off with England.

I also remember they gave a point for one of the early B games but think that was a one off.

Whoever has all the old ATAC minutes will be able to tell you exactly as it was an ATAC suggestion initially.

Unfortunately the website has been upgraded and only goes back to 2011.

The Czech game in 1999 was a straight ballot, overseen IIRC by Tommy Madden from WESTA.

For the WC finals in 1998, it worked like this. If you had been to three or more qualifiers *or* you'd been to the game in Tallinn you got tickets for all three group games. If you'd been to two games, you were offered a ticket for the Brazil game - I think there might have been an option to swap it if you weren't going to the Brazil game. If you'd been to one qualifier then you were offered a ticket for either Norway or Morocco. There was a voucher for a ticket if we got through the group stage but I've no idea what the qualification was for that.

Aye, that's it. Tommy overseeing the ballot would've been the reason for my success :wink2: .

Did they not always have a points system, but up to 2002ish was there not only something like 15/18k'ish members in the Travel Club, so rarely used? Probably when they rebranded in the mid 2000's that points became more important? Dortmund in 2003 is when I recall points becoming more of a issue.

The German B game in Mannhiemm appears on my SSC purchase history, but unsure if that was a point.

I think membership was still around 18k during the 2008 campaign.

After that it nearly doubled, hence we then only got 1 guaranteed home ticket as opposed to two.

My recollection is slightly different:

Three or more qualifiers or the game that never was = 3 x group tickets

One or two qualifiers = ticket for the Brazil game

All other STC members = ticket for one group match

I had been to one away qualifier (Sweden) and qualified for a Brazil ticket.

You could be right on that - I think you had to be in the STC before the end of the qualifiers though.

Yup that's correct. My only qualifier was Sweden in Gothenburg and that was enough for a Brazil ticket ??

Yeah, I only made the replayed game in Monaco & that got me a Brazil ticket :ok: