Just To Clarify..... - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Just To Clarify.....

Caledonian Craig

Well options are already in the squad. I dont buy into this pish of 'lucky mascot' about Gordon Greer for example. What is it? He has 9 caps and in those games which he has started (which is quite a fair few of those nine) and we have conceded five goals. That surely says something. Yes he is getting on but at the end of the day if he is doing a job for us then who cares?

I'd prefer us plsying with less gung-ho full-backs as well which Hutton and Robertson are. We need at least one sitting full-back in the mould of Whittaker or Forsyth for example who aren't too attack-minded and sit-in.

Greer only has 3 competitive caps the 2 Gib games and poland away. Strachan obviously gives him game time in friendlies and seems to not trust him generally when it matters. He's part of the "leaky" defence that conceded two in Warsaw which is your main issue with the team no?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greer only has 3 competitive caps the 2 Gib games and poland away. Strachan obviously gives him game time in friendlies and seems to not trust him generally when it matters. He's part of the "leaky" defence that conceded two in Warsaw which is your main issue with the team no?

Yes but in his nine games he has played we have kept six clean sheets. I won't tarnish him with the same brush because of one match. Those stats seem to clearly show we have more solidity with him in the back four.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

Yes but in his nine games he has played we have kept six clean sheets. I won't tarnish him with the same brush because of one match. Those stats seem to clearly show we have more solidity with him in the back four.

The only competitive game he managed to keep a clean sheet in was against Gibraltar.

Hardly inspiring stuff.

I think competitive and non competitive is a massive difference. When rolling out our goals conceded stats why don't you include friendlies?

Okay then so if friendlies are to be deemed irrelevant then where do we blood new players and bring them into the first team. I mean going by your mentality friendlies being meaningless means good performances by new players are meaningless and in turn means we cannot blood new players into the first team in competitive matches. Heck we better get zimmer frames out for all of our players then.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

I think competitive and non competitive is a massive difference. When rolling out our goals conceded stats why don't you include friendlies?

Also look at friendlies that Hanley has played in and the defence has leaked more goals and even Russell Martin's friendly appearances have seen us leak more goals in friendlies. A coincedence or a clue?

Yip the fact that I think there is a big difference between competitive games and friendlies means that I think that new players can't come into the side!

Right but however you look at friendlies - meaningless or otherwise then every player plays in them. Greer's appearances in friendlies have seen us ship less goals than friendlies with Hanley and even Martin in them. And if we totally disregard friendlies (if you wish) lets look at league form. Brighton's defence is far more secure than Blackburn's. The clues are there.

I'll give Hanley the benefit of the doubt. Having been at Saturday's game, and despite going down to ten men after 11 minutes, Blackburn were (are) woeful. I can't remember seeing a midfield so absent in a long time. They offered nothing going forward and did not assist the defence. Hanley was very solid in the tackle, made some telling blocks and was very good positionally, he even pressed forward with the ball on a couple of occasions. He was Blackburn's best player despite losing 3 goals to an average MK Dons side. Surely time to move on and improve. Is he still only 23?!

Hanley appears to be improving all the time, but he should look at getting a move in the next couple of seasons.

Martin is probably the best we have to put beside him, but I can't help thinking that the way we organise the defence can be improved, which is why I have been banging on about a defensive coach.

What harm would it do to get one in, the SFA are loaded?