Holland - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A stark reminder to some of our more unrealistic fans of what failure actually looks like.

Finishing 4th in a group is nothing new to us, but the Dutch.....

Yes but the likelihood is that (similar to the French and Germans) after this failure the Dutch will come back stronger and better in a short space of time and we will probably get drawn against them

The Dutch have the infrastructure and coaching in place

The conveyor belt of Dutch talent will see them through

Yes but the likelihood is that (similar to the French and Germans) after this failure the Dutch will come back stronger and better in a short space of time and we will probably get drawn against them

You may be right but I think they will also struggle to qualify for Russia 2018. They have a very difficult looking group given their current form and the play off structure may see them as not one of the seeds should they be in that. They have France, Sweden, Bulgaria, Belarus and Luxembourg.

Lets not forget Holland is a small nation that vastly over performs with respect to population.

All nations goes through cyclical periods of success and decline.

Whilst they will be hurting there is no doubt the dutch will be back.

Ajax still remain the bench mark for youth development.
Indeed the modern success of Spain (and style of football) can be traced back to Cryuff and Van Gaal's time in Barcelona.

Edited by Haggis_trap

All the more reason for my post. Perhaps you misinterpreted it. The point is as you say they are expected to qualify, we are not, ergo their failure is considerably bigger than ours.

Lets not forget Holland is a small nation that vastly over performs with respect to population.

All nations goes through cyclical periods of success and decline.

Whilst they will be hurting there is no doubt the dutch will be back.

Ajax still remain the bench mark for youth development.

Indeed the modern success of Spain (and style of football) can be traced back to Cryuff and Van Gaal's time in Barcelona.

If Holland are a small nation what does that make us? Their population is at least 3 times ours.

^ yip : 3x the population (16 odd million)

still one of the "smaller" euro nations.

they have enjoyed massive success, and remarkably consistency, over the last 40 years.

if I had to send Scottish coaches over to one nation to find out what we need to do then it would still be Holland ?

Edited by Haggis_trap

^ yip : 3x the population (16 odd million)

still one of the "smaller" euro nations.

they have enjoyed massive success, and remarkably consistency, over the last 40 years.

if I had to send Scottish coaches over to one nation to find out what we need to do then it would still be Holland ?

I suspected they were comparatively big so I just checked. They are the 12th biggest country out of 50 odd in Europe. Therefore if population is to be considered a yardstick to quality, then I'd expect them to be one of the best teams in Europe.

They might be the 12 biggest country in Europe, but I think it is fair to say that they have been one of the best 5/6 teams in Europe on a consistent basis since 1988 at least (I didn't exist before that so can comment any further). They are big overachievers.

They might be the 12 biggest country in Europe, but I think it is fair to say that they have been one of the best 5/6 teams in Europe on a consistent basis since 1988 at least (I didn't exist before that so can comment any further). They are big overachievers.

Apart from a strange barren spell in the early 80s they have been a top team since the early 70s.

Apart from a strange barren spell in the early 80s they have been a top team since the early 70s.

Yip : France, Germany, Spain, Italy have all had barren spells in the last 30 years.

Whilst they have never won anything since euro 1988 I would argue Holland are up there with those big nations ?

Their record is certainly better than Englands ? (for example).

Unless I'm mistaken, Germany and Italy have never had a barren spell where they have failed to qualify for a tournament. In my memory I only recall Spain missing out on Euro 92. Think France missed out on both Euro 88 and WC 90 so I suppose that constitutes a spell. The Dutch missed out on 3 on the bounce from 82 to 86 inclusive.

^ Exactly - plenty other nations of Hollands population frequently don't qualify

Poland, Belgium, Greece, Turkey, Ukraine, Romania, Portugal, Sweden.

None of them have the long football pedigree of the Dutch ?

So yes, it is a disaster for them not to qualify.

But only by their own high "dutch" standards (which we should be trying to copy).

Ajax / Holland still to my mind set the bench mark for youth development of young players

^ Exactly - plenty other nations of Hollands population frequently don't qualify

Poland, Belgium, Greece, Turkey, Ukraine, Romania, Portugal, Sweden.

None of them have the long football pedigree of the Dutch ?

So yes, it is a disaster for them not to qualify.

But only by their own high "dutch" standards (which we should be trying to copy).

Ajax / Holland still to my mind set the bench mark for youth development of young players

That was my original point. The Dutch not qualifying was a bigger disaster than us not qualifying.

As for the list of teams you mention as regularly not qualifying, I think that's a bit disingenuous. I'd put it another way and say all of them regularly DO qualify, just not always.

Only Germany have bucked the failure to Qualify trend since 1982

Third Place at World Cup Since 1982

3rd W.C Fail to Qualify for European Championships

Poland 1982 1984

France 1986 1988

Italy 1990 1992

Sweden 1994 1996

Croatia 1998 2000

Turkey 2002 2004

Germany 2006 & 2010 Qualified for 2008 and 2012

Holland 2014 2016