Strachan - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Too loyal to his chosen men.had chance to inject freshness into team but hasn't taken opportunity.

He didn't pick the team I would have for this game, but on reflection only Whittaker, and possibly Marshall turned out to be bad choices.

Anyway the point I want to make is that to compare Strachan's win loss ratio with Burley and Levein is a misleading way to analyze success. Aside from the first game, the Georgia game has been the only truly awful performance I can think of. Even the Wales defeat was a freak that wouldn't have happened had Snodgrass not got sent off. Aside from that, our losses have been close run things (often with dubious refereeing) and we've looked a lot more likely to score.

Yes absolutely, fail to see where we have improved under Strachan, compare his record to levein and burley and its barely better. Under wgs if your face doesn't fit then forget it ala, Rhodes, Griffiths, mccormack etc, pick a team to win not your chums who have continually failed you.

But of course media loves wgs, so doubt any criticism coming soon.

Need I remind you of Levein:-

Prague - no strikers. Embarrassing.

First home game of campaign and barely managed a shot on target V Slovenia 0-0. Woeful.

Late late late winner

at home to avoid humiliation V Liechtenstein.

Need I go on?

Under Burley was the booze culture and we were a rabble and suffered humiliation of drubbings not just defeat against Wales. All depressing.

Strachan's big failing - which can be rectified if he thinks about it is to come up with a Plan B snd C. That is what ultimately cost us in this campsign in losing in Georgia.

I think that Strachan is going to resign after Gibraltar game, the fact that he is remaining "silent", " tightlipped" and "coy" on his future is the giveaway, if he intended on sticking around I think he would have said so when asked.

As for who would replace him, oddschecker have Joe Jordan as 4/1 favourite followed by Graeme Souness and Paul Lambert 6/1 joint second favourites.

Joe Jordan would be my choice.

But I really hope I am wrong about Gordon.

I disagree. Just read his post-match comments and although he did remain tight-lipped he explained why saying players were hurting in the dressing room snd felt it would be disrespectful to speak about his future. Seems fair enough. He did later let slip though when saying what they had to do to improve in the next two years. Why would he talk of such things if he planned to walk? Edited by Caledonian Craig

The problem any manager will have is a lot of our players aren't good enough technically.

Poland looked a class apart from us tonight.

It was only our spirit and determination that kept us going.

YAWN. What utter pish. Sorry. Are Ireland technically better than us?? No. Look at half the teams that have qualified. Are they technically better than us? No. We have thrown this away by our inability to defend properly and hold onto good positions in games. Ie Warsaw Dortmund and last night. Throw in the woeful performance in Georgia and Strachan's rigidly to plan a and certain players and the that is the reason we are staying at home. Sure, we must start producing a better class of player but that aint the reason we haven't qualified.

Amazes me the amount of people who want to replace the manager once things do not go right, WGS has brought the team forward a long way compared to what we had before, what you cannot change overnight is the technical ability of the players.

The natural technical ability is coached out of the guys and this goes right back to when there kids, if you look at most continental teams, they are comfortable on the ball and can stroke it around the park, our guys and the other home nations do not have that ability, if you have younger players with that ability , they get lost in the whole "we must win at all costs" attitude in junior football.

Before people go on about our various neighbour's qualifying, lets do a reality check -

England - qualified from a group my junior team could have qualified from, once they meet a decent side - out they go

Wales - One man team, if Bale is injured or he is stopped playing "continental style" - out they go

Northern Ireland - well done to them but qualified from the weakest group, once they meet decent opposition - out they go

Ireland - Would not say they were lucky but had some good fortune along the way, will be lucky to get past the play-off - out they go

Looking at the 4 nations mentioned + Scotland I can only think of one world class player [bale] , if you work that on squads of 16 players per team, that is one player out of 80, not a very impressive.

Strachan flatters to deceive. While we can play attractive football particulalry away from home on the counter attack he doesn't exactly have a knack of getting tactics right or grinding out wins. Qualifying for the WC is extremely hard these days given the limited number of places and given the lack of alternatives at the moment I'd be inclined to give him one more campaign and failure to progress should see a new man come in for the Euros. By that point there may be more suitable candidates. We would be kidding ourselves to think we could get anyone managing in the EPL or the likes of Moyes and Sir Alex is pure fantasy. I would be tempted to get rid of McGhee and/or McCall to freshen things up a bit but doubt that will happen.

Our best bet would be getting someone who happens to be out of work at the right time or perhaps someone from the SPL who has a track record - perhaps by that point someone like Derek McInnes who also played overseas.

Edited by Saint4805

The worst Aberdeen manager in their history who oversaw an 8-1 arse riding from a Czech pub team and a Kent sacked by Motherwell who cuts his hair with a toffee apple and a desk fan are his confidants.

I hope Regan puts the prices up to £55 for the next qualifiers

The worst Aberdeen manager in their history who oversaw an 8-1 arse riding from a Czech pub team and a Kent sacked by Motherwell who cuts his hair with a toffee apple and a desk fan are his confidants.

I hope Regan puts the prices up to £55 for the next qualifiers

I hope 8,000 turn up to the next qualifier