Steven Maclean - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Steven Maclean

saintydave

Surely worthy of a call up to the squad. Scored just as many as Griffiths, but brings aot more to the team.

Akin to Steven Fletcher in his link up play but can score goals too, joint top scorer this season.

Your quite right saintlydave, MacLean is a grossly underrated player and well worthy of a call up.

Nah, I'm only kiddin. Would be doubting Strachan's sanity if he called up MacLean !

Wonder who'll be first to bite ?

All very valid points but unless you play for celtic or in the EPL your chances of getting a call up are remote.

Shinnie getting a call up from aberdeen shows it can be done, but its the exception than the norm.

I don't personally agree with it, but the theory is if they are good enough they will move to a bigger club.

Big Jim O'Rourke is still only 69. Might be worth a look.

A great foil for John Brogan!

Edit to say to have my 4000th post with a mention of Saints best ever striker is poetic! :)

Edited by Ormond

• 3 weeks later...

Let me just beef this up a bit. Steven MacLean is currently the leagues top scorer, 9 goals in 9 games, and of these 9 games, he has only played the full 90 minutes twice,coming on late in the game another 2 times - here is the run down

Didn’t play v Hearts
came on 60th minutes v inverness
Came on 82nd minute v County
Played 78 minutes v Dundee
Motherwell – full game
Played 68 minutes v Celtic
Played 76 minutes v Hamilton
Plastic pitch v Killie so didn’t play
77 minutes v united
83 minutes v Aberdeen
Thistle – full game.
If he was 22 instead of (I think) 32, then I would be shouting out for him to get a game for Scotland. Alas, I think his time has passed him by.
As for O'Halloran, when he came on last week, Thistle put 3 players on him and he still turned them inside out. I think he must have changed his cereal this season but the step up in form is something different. I think he desreves the chance if he continues in this form. Of course, I spotted it early....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34618156

Edited by Capital Saint

I think the oracle islam feruz called it right about 4 years ago on twitter about o'halloran whilst watching an U21 game, said he didnt rate him and he was only at celtic because of his dad, then he went to bolton and did nothing there or when he was out on loan and has hit a slight purple patch in his career at 24, if he or maclean get capped i'm giving up the ghost.

the oracle also said that scott allan was a tidy player in that game and should have started. maybe he could get a job scouting once he gets his license back.

Edited by LewisEDI