How Do We Convince The Undecided To Vote Yes ? - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

How Do We Convince The Undecided To Vote Yes ?

I've never been great at getting my point across, but for anyone who dares to dream of a better future, it seems a no brainer - rise now and vote YES!

The no campaign continually talks about "unanswered questions", yet they have consistently failed to clarify the detail of any package of devolved powers that will be guaranteed to Scotland in the event of a "no" vote.

With the polls being so close, it seems to me that the unionists could have sealed the deal and clinched the vote by specifying the detail and providing a guaranteed commitment to strong new powers, yet they have been both unwilling and unable to do so.

Perhaps this is because the Westminster parties can't (and so won't) fundamentally agree on any such package. Or because the public spokesman wheeled out last week (Brown) to make commitments to unspecified powers isn't actually part of the UK government any more (has he forgotten)? Or maybe because tory backbenchers are now coming out and saying the will actively vote against any new devolved powers ?

I personally think the definition of many of the "undecided" is that they are not happy with the status quo, would like change but are concerned that full independence is too much of a risk. The promise of devolved powers is the tactic to give them that little bit of (false) re-assurance that it's ok to vote no and that things might get better in future. It's important to dispel that myth.

As someone else said, it is the undecided that will decide this referendum.

With less than one week to go, now is the time to convince them.

So how would you sum up the case to convince the undecided - and help me to convince the undecided - to vote YES ?

In a sentence (or short para) - please give it your best shot !

Ask them if they believe in democracy.Their answer will be YES

Ask them to name any country that is a democracy, who is governed by the party who polled 3rd in a general election in that country.(Of course there isn't one its only Scotland that is undemocratic)

Ask them if they want to live in a democracy .The answer will be YES

Ask them which vote will ensure they are able to live in a democracy and get the government the majority voted for.YES for independance or NO for NO democratic vote

3 YESSES and you've another convert .

It depends which issues are important to them, so find that out first. It’s amazing how often the reason for someone’s uncertainty can be dealt with. Had this today in the street stall in Perth.

1. Reason for being undecided: We can’t keep the pound.

Response: yes, we can; it’s ours, and there’s no mechanism for taking it away from us. Even Alistair Darling admitted that.

2. Reason for being undecided: I don’t like Alex Salmond.

Response: it’s not a vote about Alex Salmond or any other individual. And in twenty years’ time when your grandkids asked you why you noted No and you say “I didn’t like that Alex Salmond” they’ll say “Alex who?”. This vote is about what kind of Scotland we want in the future.

3. Reason for being undecided: the supermarket prices will go up.

Response: if Asda or any other supermarket are stupid enough to hike their prices up (and they’re not that stupid), Aldi and Lidl will be waiting for your custom.

The point is, many people have paper-thin reasons for not being in the YES camp. With just a few details and a mention of bringing democracy closer to home, getting rid of nuclear weapons etc., you’ve a great chance of persuading them. They just want to hear it from someone they know rather than a politician because they probably just don’t trust politicians.

In 7 sentences, show them these conditions for an equal union and see if they think England would accept them:

1. For the next 300 hundred years the UK parliament will be based in Scotland (and then Cardiff)
2. 85% of English taxes will be collected and sent to Edinburgh, and Holyrood will decide how much they get back
3. All oil and gas revenues from English waters will be kept by Holyrood
4. Trident will be moved to the Thames Estuary, next to England's biggest city, and all gasfields in the southern North Sea must be shut down to let submarines pass safely
5. Agricultural and fishery policies will be based on what is best for Scotland
6. BBC news will be about Edinburgh and Scotland, and England can have it's news later!
7. Scottish football results will be on first

Edited by Hessen

In 7 sentences, show them these conditions for an equal union and see if they think England would accept them:

1. For the next 300 hundred years the UK parliament will be based in Scotland (and then Cardiff)2. 85% of English taxes will be collected and sent to Edinburgh, and Holyrood will decide how much they get back3. All oil and gas revenues from English waters will be kept by Holyrood4. Trident will be moved to the Thames Estuary, next to England's biggest city, and all gasfields in the southern North Sea must be shut down to let submarines pass safely5. Agricultural and fishery policies will be based on what is best for Scotland6. BBC news will be about Edinburgh and Scotland, and England can have it's news later!7. Scottish football results will be on first

That has actually been very helpful for a friend of mine. That and 'If we were already independent would you vote to join the Union'?

Just had the No Campaign cold call the house and they told the wife that Vladimir Putin is funding Alex salmond.

Honestly, there'll be no need to convert undecideds if that's the sort of horsesh1t that's being spouted over the phone.

I saw a post on a Better Together site appealling for door canvassers, so we might even see them out on the street in the next few days. I have no idea what they can possibly say now that will make folk change.

PS There are so many people registered to vote that polling stations have had to split electorate in two. YES voters must go on the 18th, and NO voters should report to the polling station on the 19th.

I put up the following status on Facebook:

If anyone is genuinely undecided about voting yes and wants more information about it but can't be arsed with a snipey debate online then feel free to message me. I'll give you information with no hassle or pressure of voting aye.

I've made this post public in case you have friends or family that have questions.

Absolutely anyone.

_______

I have had 7 responses so far, all of which have been answered and all of which have said that they appreciated the chat and it alleviated their concerns.

You could put the choice this way.

Whatever the result, there will be a great struggle over the new settlement between Scotland and rUK.

If it's a Yes, it will be Team Scotland against the Westminster government.

If it's a No, it will be Cameron, Clegg and Miliband speaking for us, against the mass of disgruntled rUK backbenchers.

Who would you trust more to fight Scotland's corner?

I think just ask people why Cameron, Milliband etc want Scotland to remain part of the union, Have they really got Scotland's interest at heart? Doesn't it make more sense for the people who live in Scotland, who care about Scotland, whose kids will grow up in Scotland to make the decsions that affect Scotland.

I think the majority of undecided people will vote no.

more than likely they won't vote at all .... lets be brutally honest here the biggest gripe of the undecided is their is not enough information ... bullsh!t that is a cop out their is tons of information .... the truth is they are to bloody lazy to find it themselves