Mcnamara Sacked - Page 4 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Mcnamara Sacked

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pressley rules himself out the running as still seeking success in England.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34396177

Whilst going down the former player route is an option given the old cliché "they know the club", it's not always advantageous to employ "one of their own" and bringing in someone from outside is more likely to bring in fresh ideas to revamp the club. Not referring only to United, every club seems to get linked with at least one former player when looking for a new manager. Eric Black's been linked with the Aberdeen job for the past 15 years!

Whilst going down the former player route is an option given the old cliché "they know the club", it's not always advantageous to employ "one of their own" and bringing in someone from outside is more likely to bring in fresh ideas to revamp the club. Not referring only to United, every club seems to get linked with at least one former player when looking for a new manager. Eric Black's been linked with the Aberdeen job for the past 15 years!

Very pleased he's ruled himself outside on the grounds he's a wet end.

Phew!

Evening Telegraph ramping up the Tommy Wright to United stuff today. If Wright leaves us to go there then I don't want to hear Arabs bleating about Celtic poaching their talent again.

http://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/2015/10/05/tommy-wright-is-dundee-uniteds-no-1-target-but-may-have-to-resign-at-saints/

Edited by Ormond

Personally don't see where this would be a step up or a progression for him.

United are a bigger club obviously but surely if Wright stays and does well this year he'd find a bigger move than going 22 miles down the road. Wright has come out and said he is happy at Saints but we all know money talks.

A slightly bigger club. Is it worse the hassle for him? Being objective, I don't know if I'd be champing at the bit to make the move at this moment.

That's what I mean. I suspect he would get slightly more money there but would his conditions/constraints be all that different?

He is building something very positive at St Johnstone. I said before our cup game with them that it would be very difficult given how organised they are. The games they have lost this term have been very tight and now they are obviously proving to be more than decent going forward. I think there would be an element of 'unfinished business' if he was to leave Saints just now.

Edited by Angus_Young

United are a bigger club obviously but surely if Wright stays and does well this year he'd find a bigger move than going 22 miles down the road. Wright has come out and said he is happy at Saints but we all know money talks.

True. He is doing so well for you, not sure I can see the attraction of moving to us. Will he get a bigger budget? McNamara has spunked a lot of it already.

That's what I mean. I suspect he would get slightly more money there but would his conditions/constraints be all that different?

He is building something very positive at St Johnstone. I said before our cup game with them that it would be very difficult given how organised they are. The games they have lost this term have been very tight and now they are obviously proving to be more than decent going forward. I think there would be an element of 'unfinished business' if he was to leave Saints just now.

I suppose one incentive may be United's youth system. There's Scott Fraser come out of it this season and is yet another who looks like going all the way. There are many more.

On the other hand, having to play all these good young players necessarily means you will lose games along the way. Wright seems more pragmatic in getting results today.

He'd probably end up out the door in eighteen months, as against being at Saints for the next five years if he wants to. Different if someone from down south comes calling with a lot more money, but he's better off at Saints for the time being.