Labour Leadership - Page 14 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Labour Leadership

You're the only one I've seen so far to turn that interview into a negative. Great performance.

T

SNP privatised Scotrail? SNP privatised Calmac?

Would like to give him the benefit of the doubt in that it was Murray or Dugdale briefing him these lies. Suspect he simply just doesnt give a shit about Scotland.

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

T

SNP privatised Scotrail? SNP privatised Calmac?

Would like to give him the benefit of the doubt in that it was Murray or Dugdale briefing him these lies. Suspect he simply just doesnt give a shit about Scotland.

Presumably Mr Marr immediately leapt in to correct and challenge him? Or maybe he doesn't know/care either?

Presumably Mr Marr immediately leapt in to correct and challenge him? Or maybe he doesn't know/care either?

I dare say if it had been misinformation on Tory policy then Marr would have been onto him in an instant. The fact it was misrepresentation of the SNP, he would have been happy to let slide.

According to the Guardian/Observer, Labour's priorities are going to be:

"important issues like the NHS, the refugee crisis, mental health and housing"

Housing - 18.1%

NHS - 15.93%

Refugees - 15.87%

Austerity - 11.38%

Employment rights - 8.2%

Mental health - 7.83%

Defence (ie Trident) - 7.10%

Social security - 5.61%

Europe - 5.25%

Rail - 2.62%

Syria - 1.6%

Licence fee - 0.76%

I thought Jeremy's second top priority (after housing) was winning back Scotland and Wales.

Presumably by addressing those issues, but not addressing Scotland as such...

Edited by exile

Finally, I just saw the clip. He didn't actually identify himself as being a unionist as such. Sure, he said some anti SNP things - as any other rival party would.

On united Ireland, he said it's up to the people of Ireland.

On indyref2, he said he'd stand by Kez and Scottish Labour - but their position seemed to be to have a debate on it.

So there is wiggle room there.

Sure Corbyn said he'd be in Scotland next week. I'm confident he'll take the opportunity to set the record straight :wink2:

"The SNP denied the Trade Unions request to delay the franchising of Scotrail while a public solution could be found, instead hastening through the tendering to useless fannies. When the next batch of ferry routes are due for tender in May 2016 the SNP will continue to award the routes to private ownership as their recent record dictates.".

Jobs a good un! :ok:

Edited by Scunnered

Not really. It's disappointing it won't be debated, it lost out to Austerity in the Trade Union vote and it came way down the list in the constituency vote.

I suppose they have plenty time to debate it in future conferences. I mean, they aren't going to be in a position of power to do anything about it for at least another 10 years.

"The SNP denied the Trade Unions request to delay the franchising of Scotrail while a public solution could be found, instead hastening through the tendering to useless fannies. When the next batch of ferry routes are due for tender in May 2016 the SNP will continue to award the routes to private ownership as their recent record dictates.".

Jobs a good un! :ok:

I think Rev Stu must be reading the TAMB

http://wingsoverscotland.com/advice-for-jeremy-corbyn/#more-75981

I'm not sure he is. None of that addressed what I said. Stu also told a porkie. Ferries are lifeline services and can be exempt from the EU tendering process. It's just that the SNP who would do anything to avoid private tendering... Didn't do anything to avoid private tendering.

I'm not sure he is. None of that addressed what I said. Stu also told a porkie. Ferries are lifeline services and can be exempt from the EU tendering process. It's just that the SNP who would do anything to avoid private tendering... Didn't do anything to avoid private tendering.

Are you saying this bit is wrong?

“[The SNP] were behind privatisation of ScotRail.”

Hang on, what? Britain’s railways (including Scotland’s) were privatised by the Tories under the Railways Act 1993. The Scottish Parliament didn’t even exist at the time.

Privatisation/nationalisation of railways is reserved to Westminster under the same act – it’s totally outwith the Scottish Government’s control. It’s currently forbidden by law for the public sector to own/operate Britain’s railways except in emergencies.

(We suppose “were behind” could be taken to mean “supported”, but as far as we can establish the SNP opposed the privatisation in 1993. What we can say for sure is that they voted the same way as Jeremy Corbyn in all the Commons divisions on the bill, and also that Labour didn’t repeal the Act during 13 years in power from 1997-2010.)

Are you saying this bit is wrong?

[The SNP] were behind privatisation of ScotRail.

Hang on, what? Britains railways (including Scotlands) were privatised by the Tories under the Railways Act 1993. The Scottish Parliament didnt even exist at the time.

Privatisation/nationalisation of railways is reserved to Westminster under the same act its totally outwith the Scottish Governments control. Its currently forbidden by law for the public sector to own/operate Britains railways except in emergencies.

(We suppose were behind could be taken to mean supported, but as far as we can establish the SNP opposed the privatisation in 1993. What we can say for sure is that they voted the same way as Jeremy Corbyn in all the Commons divisions on the bill, and also that Labour didnt repeal the Act during 13 years in power from 1997-2010.)

No... But as I said, it never addressed anything I said.

Is it? I could agree that attacking the SNP is ill advised when Labour don't currently have power. But I would say saying "we are anti-austerity" when they're policy reflects that is acceptable.

when they vote against austerity, i will believe they are anti austerity taliking about it and voting against it are 2 completely different things.

they say they are.... lets see.. they havent been so far...

Corbyn -' I am anti Nuclear'... - well , not really, i am too scared to debate it, so i will just say I am...

they will be judged when they prove they do what they say,..,,..

where's the lies you say ... the whole speech is one big porky pie after another

No it's not? The SNP have twice voted against the living wage in the Scottish Parliament. They then missed their own deadline for seeking EU advice on the matter, they've also voted against rent controls. It was discussed at length on here at the time.

Don't believe everything you read on Wings... Especially when he's relying on his memory.

when they vote against austerity, i will believe they are anti austerity taliking about it and voting against it are 2 completely different things.

they say they are.... lets see.. they havent been so far...

Corbyn -' I am anti Nuclear'... - well , not really, i am too scared to debate it, so i will just say I am...

they will be judged when they prove they do what they say,..,,..

Your expedience knows no bounds comrade.

No it's not? The SNP have twice voted against the living wage in the Scottish Parliament. They then missed their own deadline for seeking EU advice on the matter, they've also voted against rent controls. It was discussed at length on here at the time.

Don't believe everything you read on Wings... Especially when he's relying on his memory.

This is classic Whatabouttery

Very poor Scunnered

Very poor indeed :(