The View From Ireland - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The View From Ireland

TheBoysinGreen

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The mood across Ireland has completely changed after Friday. There is now a buzz across the nation about tonight and now that the road to France is back on. I've said it a few times on here and I was pretty much ridiculed but I found the Scottish optimism a bit too much and Friday proved what I thought about your team. The only time Ireland would have lost to a country like Georgia was under Steve Staunton 8 years ago. Yes we are not pretty on the eye and our results can have a load of draws in it but we can grind out decent group positions and more often than not find a play-off spot at the end of it.

If results go to plan you will be four points behind us tonight with two games remaining. I ask you - Can Scotland handle the pressure of having to get a result against Poland if it comes to it? I think the way we set up is more equipped to go to Warsaw and snatch a point if needs be. Scotland will counter attack against Poland and then they'll just pick you off at pace with intricate passing & the pressure of having to get a win will be too much for Scotland - That's just my opinion. Even a draw in Dublin against Germany ( not beyond the realms of possibility) puts you lads out of it if you fail to beat Poland. Germany will be more or less qualified if they win tonight so hopefully their foot will be off the gas when they visit Dublin.

First things first we need the lads do a professional job against Georgia tonight and Germany to play like we know they can.

Can Scotland beat Poland and Ireland lose to both Germany and Poland when it really matters? I don't think so.

If I was predicting I reckon we're going going to snatch a play off spot before we even travel to Warsaw.

You got lucky in Georgia, lucky in Germany, lucky against us (Walters was a week offside) and I distinctly remember you being lucky in Kazakhstan.

That all being said, we were fortuitous to win in Poland and Norway (pre qualifying friendlies) and could easily have lost 3-2 in Poland.

Whoever finishes third between our two nations will likely owe more to the shortcomings of the other rather than any exceptional performances from themselves.

Edited by norsefox

Considering georgia stuck 3 past them in theirs. ...I wouldn't hold your breath on that

Irrelevant really - but if we were to fail to beat Gibraltar, you could qualify for the finals without having to win against anyone bar Georgia and Gib.

Not really cos despite Scotland's flaws ...ye will beat gibraltar next month

May not matter - I guess in summary, so far both sides have had a mediocre campaign so far, but the 12 points you should harvest from the bottom 2 will outweigh your slip ups vs.

us.

Playoffs look tough - are they seeded ?

You got lucky in Georgia, lucky in Germany, lucky against us (Walters was a week offside) and I distinctly remember you being lucky in Kazakhstan.

That all being said, we were fortuitous to win in Poland and Norway (pre qualifying friendlies) and could easily have lost 3-2 in Poland.

Whoever finishes third between our two nations will likely owe more to the shortcomings of the other rather than any exceptional performances from themselves.

How did we get lucky in Georgia?

May not matter - I guess in summary, so far both sides have had a mediocre campaign so far, but the 12 points you should harvest from the bottom 2 will outweigh your slip ups vs.

us.

Playoffs look tough - are they seeded ?

Reality is while we are both competitive in this group. ...we are both and Poland very average sides outside of this group

I'm sure our point away to germany will factor in to it if we finish ahead of ye also...as ye are better than us on head to head

Playoffs are seeded....I'm pretty sure Scotland are seeded ?

If Dutch don't make playoffs I believe ireland are then seeded

Edited by Green_Tide_Rising

Reality is while we are both competitive in this group. ...we are both and Poland very average sides outside of this group

I'm sure our point away to germany will factor in to it if we finish ahead of ye also...as ye are better than us on head to head

Playoffs are seeded....I'm pretty sure Scotland are seeded ?

If Dutch don't make playoffs I believe ireland are then seeded

Poland the only team to beat Germany - neither us or ye have anyone remotely in the class of Lewandowski - if they avoid defeat at Hampden then 2nd is deservedly theirs.

Poland the only team to beat Germany - neither us or ye have anyone remotely in the class of Lewandowski - if they avoid defeat at Hampden then 2nd is deservedly theirs.

I never said 2nd wasnt deservedly theirs if they got it.

They will need a lot more than Lewandowski and their current side to do anything of note in next year's championship if they make it

They beat Germany but cudnt beat ireland or Scotland

Ireland were the only team to get a point in germany.

Basically it means f##k all If neither ireland or Poland qualify

How did we get lucky in Georgia?

Because you were awful. Kevin Kilbane is quoted on BBC stating that we were better than you on Friday. You were bailed out by McGeady.

It's lucky in the same sense that we were again Liechtenstein. A terrible performance masked by a bit of genius/last minuttery.

I never said 2nd wasnt deservedly theirs if they got it.

They will need a lot more than Lewandowski and their current side to do anything of note in next year's championship if they make it

They beat Germany but cudnt beat ireland or Scotland

Ireland were the only team to get a point in germany.

Basically it means f##k all If neither ireland or Poland qualify

Poland would have to have a shocker not to qualify from here.

Poland would have to have a shocker not to qualify from here.

Wudnt necessarily call it a shocker.

I still believe Poland are overhyped a bit.

They could well beat both Scotland and Ireland...not a shock

But equally i would not be shocked if we both beat them....which I think is possible....and which wud mean they wudnt qualify

You thought our optimism was daft?....4 games to automatically qualifying was in our hands, why wouldn't we get a little excited!!! Now you say Ireland are optimistic again......irony is clearly lost on you!!!

We have bolloxed in up imo, can see Ireland getting what they need!!!

Edited by radian_13

I don't understand the optimism behind this thread. Having watched Ireland under Martin O'Neill for almost two years now, there hasn't really been one totally convincing performance.

He seems to throw surprising selections at the last minute into big games. he doesn't seem to fire the players up, like most people expected he would and they always seem to play at a slow pace. He doesn't really look like he enjoys international management over the club variety.

He needs to start Shane Long tonight and not Robbie Keane, because he scored two goals against a postman and Librarian.

I think he will start with Keane and Walters. 0-0 is a possibility.

last minute wonder goal to win in georgia

last minute goal in germany

offside goal against scotland with a handball

last minute goal against poland

To be fair their win in Georgia came about by having shots at goal, which wasn't our style on Friday.

The mood across Ireland has completely changed after Friday. There is now a buzz across the nation about tonight and now that the road to France is back on. I've said it a few times on here and I was pretty much ridiculed but I found the Scottish optimism a bit too much and Friday proved what I thought about your team. The only time Ireland would have lost to a country like Georgia was under Steve Staunton 8 years ago. Yes we are not pretty on the eye and our results can have a load of draws in it but we can grind out decent group positions and more often than not find a play-off spot at the end of it.

If results go to plan you will be four points behind us tonight with two games remaining. I ask you - Can Scotland handle the pressure of having to get a result against Poland if it comes to it? I think the way we set up is more equipped to go to Warsaw and snatch a point if needs be. Scotland will counter attack against Poland and then they'll just pick you off at pace with intricate passing & the pressure of having to get a win will be too much for Scotland - That's just my opinion. Even a draw in Dublin against Germany ( not beyond the realms of possibility) puts you lads out of it if you fail to beat Poland. Germany will be more or less qualified if they win tonight so hopefully their foot will be off the gas when they visit Dublin.

First things first we need the lads do a professional job against Georgia tonight and Germany to play like we know they can.

Can Scotland beat Poland and Ireland lose to both Germany and Poland when it really matters? I don't think so.

If I was predicting I reckon we're going going to snatch a play off spot before we even travel to Warsaw.

A tad early to gloat but thank you for your input

Look Seamus, you mob have feck all to get excited about, yer p*sh. You will be in Magaluf or Ibiza with us lot next summer so pipe down and get under yer rock.

Not Mystic Meg so don't know how any game is going to go, but in ROI's 2 matches v us they resembled a 1980's English first division long-ball side.

They scored one goal in 2 matches against us and it was offside.

It actually embarrasses me to see the Irish support gloating and patting their own back because of our own disaster v Georgia.

The paddy power Roy Keane truck also doesn't make me want to see Ireland do at all well.

I suppose we could say the goal you got against Georgia was "lucky" and the deflected goal against us in Dublin was "lucky".

Or I suppose I could say that while ours may have been lucky yours should never have stood as it was clearly offside.