Georgia Predictions - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Georgia Predictions

Slide tackle

Lots of posters on this topic saying things like ''we need to be on the front foot'' and ''have a go'' etc, but these are exactly McLeish's thoughts before the 2-0 defeat, he spoke at length in an interview afterwards about how much he regrets playing 4-4-2 in the last match and that it cost us.

Don't get me wrong there were other issues as well, such as injuries,suspensions and fatigue and he mentions that also.

But If he had played the 4-1-4-1 and not allowed Georgia anything easy, we may well have kept the game tight and nicked it 1-0 from a set-piece or something.

These types of games are notoriously difficult, I think we're best served by playing a bit deeper, inviting Georgia onto us and then counter-attacking the space in behind them with the pace of Anya,Naismith etc.

But first thoughts need to be on giving Nothing away early, we've went 1-0 down in the first half of every away qualifier so far and a repeat in Georgia is going to leave us in a difficult situation to contend with.

I'm not saying we play ''defensively'' but an open approach will leave us exposed, despite what some think of their quality.....few non-top seeds ever win comfortably in Georgia.

I agree with most of that, but the situation was slightly different last time round. It was our second last game and McLeish knew exactly what we had to do. We had to go for the win, as a draw was no better than a defeat in that situation. A draw or a defeat meant we would have to beat Italy at home in the last game. A win in Georgia would have meant that we only needed to draw with Italy at Hampden to qualify. This time round we must get a win if we want 1st or 2nd place but a point from a draw could be important if we end up battling it out with Ireland for 3rd.

I'm not saying we should settle for a draw but Strachan knows we cannot afford to lose this one otherwise we might end up 4th.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reality o'clock:

There's a lot of apprehension about this match, mainly due to '07. Georgia are a team ranked below Liechtenstein & Luxembourg. If we were travelling to face them we would fully be expecting a win.

Strachan has an excellent record in away games, we have a team playing the best football I have seen us play in 15 years and our squad is far deeper than anything we had in '07.

Says a lot about our bizarre relationship with the national team and expectations that Sportsound pundits are saying maybe a draw would be ok against Georgia but confidently predicting a win on Monday?!?!

Come on Scotland. This is our time.

Georgia 0-2 Scotland (Maloney, Griffiths off the bench)

Reality o'clock:

There's a lot of apprehension about this match, mainly due to '07. Georgia are a team ranked below Liechtenstein & Luxembourg. If we were travelling to face them we would fully be expecting a win.

Strachan has an excellent record in away games, we have a team playing the best football I have seen us play in 15 years and our squad is far deeper than anything we had in '07.

Says a lot about our bizarre relationship with the national team and expectations that Sportsound pundits are saying maybe a draw would be ok against Georgia but confidently predicting a win on Monday?!?!

:ok: This :ok:

Reality o'clock:

post !!

I agree with most of that, but the situation was slightly different last time round. It was our second last game and McLeish knew exactly what we had to do. We had to go for the win, as a draw was no better than a defeat in that situation. A draw or a defeat meant we would have to beat Italy at home in the last game. A win in Georgia would have meant that we only needed to draw with Italy at Hampden to qualify. This time round we must get a win if we want 1st or 2nd place but a point from a draw could be important if we end up battling it out with Ireland for 3rd.

I'm not saying we should settle for a draw but Strachan knows we cannot afford to lose this one otherwise we might end up 4th.

If you read my post again I mentioned most of the factors you did.

And playing counter-attack isn't playing for a draw, its starting from a solid base and keeping ourselves in a game.

One other point, Stephen McManus was on Sportsound last night talking about 2007.

He said in that campaign under Smith and McLeish the plan was always to go out compact, frustrate the opponents, play to 'not lose' first and foremost and worry about winning later in games.

When the Georgia away game came round, with the raised expectation we went out with the plan of 'let's win' from minute one, played 4-4-2 and got picked off. The team struggled with the total change in emphasis in the plan.

This gives me confidence about tomorrow. Strachan's Scotland have gone out aiming to win every game. Strachan's away games have seen some of our best team performances - Macedonia, Croatia, Poland away from home.

If you read my post again I mentioned most of the factors you did.

And playing counter-attack isn't playing for a draw, its starting from a solid base and keeping ourselves in a game.

My point is that this time round a point is better than zero points. As it could help us to get 3rd place. In 2007 a draw would have had exactly the same impact as a defeat. Both results meant we had to beat Italy at home. So, McLeish had nothing to lose by taking a few risks. A draw was no good to him. Strachan won't be settling for a draw but he knows we can't afford to lose this game.

One other point, Stephen McManus was on Sportsound last night talking about 2007.

He said in that campaign under Smith and McLeish the plan was always to go out compact, frustrate the opponents, play to 'not lose' first and foremost and worry about winning later in games.

When the Georgia away game came round, with the raised expectation we went out with the plan of 'let's win' from minute one, played 4-4-2 and got picked off. The team struggled with the total change in emphasis in the plan.

This gives me confidence about tomorrow. Strachan's Scotland have gone out aiming to win every game. Strachan's away games have seen some of our best team performances - Macedonia, Croatia, Poland away from home.

Strachan had them playing for a draw in Ireland. We should have been going for the win.

Which would have meant the heartbreak of Italy bagging the winner in injury time even more hard to bear.

Which would have meant the heartbreak of Italy bagging the winner in injury time even more hard to bear.

Aye, but that's what following Scotland is all about - the heartbreak. :lol:

After we had equalised we wouldn't have needed to go chasing the win. We could have just sat back and soaked up the pressure of an all out attack from Italy. Wouldn't have been nerve racking in the slightest. :lol:

Good post

The point being we are a squad that knows our job/game playing away or at home.

Adjust for each game bring on the win tomorrow.