No Team Gb - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

No Team Gb

Glasgowmancity

Football has no place at the Olympics.

As mentioned it's been part of the Olympics since 1900 and in the womens' game has more prestige than the World Cup.

Sporting UDI. I think the majority of Scots would support that.

Probably right, although I think most of our elite athletes would disagree...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do some sports like football, golf & snooker split GB into the 4 nations but other sports don't? Is this an issue for each sport's governing body to decide?

Yes, although a common link would be that they tend to be sports which originated in the UK and had individual "home nation" associations before the founding of any international federation.

Probably. But then that would be tough tits.

What are the rules for having an olympic team? As many non-independent states have them.

Imagine funding would be the biggest issue for the Scottish government. And if the 'big' athletes would rather play for GB, then who cares. Lynsey Sharp said she would continue to represent GB if it was a yes vote.

What are the rules for having an olympic team? As many non-independent states have them.

Imagine funding would be the biggest issue for the Scottish government. And if the 'big' athletes would rather play for GB, then who cares. Lynsey Sharp said she would continue to represent GB if it was a yes vote.

That's my argument. Every little bit we can take we should and before we know it we'll be defacto independent.

Anyone want to guess which football team Lynsey supports?

Edited by adamntg

That's my argument. Every little bit we can take we should and before we know it we'll be defacto independent.

Anyone want to guess which football team Lynsey supports?

West of Scotland FC?

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/13573605.Three_West_of_Scotland_football_fans_jailed_after_Edinburgh_disturbance/

Edited by weekevie04

Did she,thats another on the list thanks.

Although Lynsey's dad was in Sport for Yes.

Not quite such blatant claims as hers but the likes of Chris Hoy, Michael Jamieson, Eilidh Child and Eve Muirhead have said they would struggle to achieve what they did without UK funding...

Edited by Toepoke

Not quite such blatant claims as hers but the likes of Chris Hoy, Michael Jamieson, Eilidh Child and Eve Muirhead have said they would struggle to achieve what they did without UK funding...

Because we won't have money in an iScotland. Have they considered there may be far fewer athletes to support in a smaller country and therefore less money goes further?

I think that's really the nub of the problem, the way funding is provided for sports like Athletics, Swimming, Cycling and the like.

The funding comes from a combination of Lottery and UK government cash and is routed through UK Sport to the various governing bodies and the athletes. The funding has two aims to provide income to athletes that means they can be full time and it allows the governing bodies to provide the facilities and staff for training programs. So you can see from an athletes perspective, their own "wages", their training and support facilities are all provided by the UK and it's pretty understandable that they think they'd struggle without that.

There was an issue with having proper training infrastructure but the Commonwealth games has helped in that with the Velodrome, Tollcross, etc. Even if an independent Scotland provided an equivalent level of funding to Scottish athletes for certain sports they would undoubtedly be de prioritised, as others would have higher priority purely due to popularity.

Given that Sport is supposed to be devolved, the way UK sport works just seems a bit wrong. It would be interesting to see how the funding breakdown to Scots, English, Irish and Welsh athletes.

England & City Women's player Lucy Bronze has just posted this on Facebook & Twitter

https://www.facebook.com/LucyBronzeOfficial/posts/604777962997723?_rdr=p

No sympathies whatsoever,as far as I'm concerned my nation isn't represented in the olympics, finally a taste of their own medicine after years of being able to claim anything we do as British but independently claiming English sporting achievements as ''victories for England''.

Given that Sport is supposed to be devolved, the way UK sport works just seems a bit wrong. It would be interesting to see how the funding breakdown to Scots, English, Irish and Welsh athletes.

I think the problem with that is that the funding generally goes to the centres of excellence where the elite athletes then train/attend which generally happen to be in England. (Cycling in Manchester, Swimming in Plymouth - I think - and athletics at Loughborough)

Edited by Glasgowmancity

I think the problem with that is that the funding generally goes to the centres of excellence where the elite athletes then train/attend which generally happen to be in England. (Cycling in Manchester, Swimming in Plymouth - I think - and athletics at Loughborough)

I think that definitely reinforces the view that they'd be left on their own in iScotland.

I don't pretend to understand the ins and outs of this but Judo seems to be bucking the trend. Something to do with either the coaching setup and/or funding meant that quite a few of the medalists in Glasgow had moved to Scotland and "signed" for Judo Scotland. I guess the reverse of what happened with Peter Nicol in Squash a few years ago.

I think that definitely reinforces the view that they'd be left on their own in iScotland.

I don't pretend to understand the ins and outs of this but Judo seems to be bucking the trend. Something to do with either the coaching setup and/or funding meant that quite a few of the medalists in Glasgow had moved to Scotland and "signed" for Judo Scotland. I guess the reverse of what happened with Peter Nicol in Squash a few years ago.

Maybe we could have our own centres of excellence?

The rules were changed in 1996 and you have to be an independent state recognised by the International community.

Kosovo was admitted in 2014. Kosovo is recognised as an independent state, Scotland is not.

The rules were changed in 1996 and you have to be an independent state recognised by the International community.

Kosovo was admitted in 2014. Kosovo is recognised as an independent state, Scotland is not.

It is and it isn't. It's a disputed territory, only recognised by 108 members of the UN (56%) and not including China, Russia or India.

It is and it isn't. It's a disputed territory, only recognised by 108 members of the UN (56%) and not including China, Russia or India.

So if Scotland declared UDI and 108 states recognised this but the rUK and U.S. didn't, then you would say we weren't independent?

So if Scotland declared UDI and 108 states recognised this but the rUK and U.S. didn't, then you would say we weren't independent?

It's not what I would say, it's what the IOC would say, no?

Edit : I don't get what point you're making. Kosovo is not recognised by almost half the members of the UN and yet has been admitted to the Olympics. If Scotland declared sporting UDI why shouldn't we at least try to apply?

Interestingly, I discovered today at work that the Forestry Commission is being broken up into Welsh, Scottish and English entirely separate entities. This is how it's going to happen - brick by brick.

Edited by adamntg