Forsyth - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Forsyth

Dillinger

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

where is the evidence of this ? it certainly wasnt shown on saturday as he was falling about this place getting brushed off the ball.

whittaker could take him in a square go. fact.

I actually thought he competed quite well in the air with Walters which was probably the main reason he was picked?

Beforehand I was sure that Whittaker would start, especially after Strachan praising him after Poland away. Forsyth was a bit of a surprise but, IMO, he doesn't have that much of a physical advantage over Whittaker as there is only an inch height difference and Whittaker weighs more than him, can bench press more than him and could take him in a square go. Maybe Strachan favoured Forsyth due to him being a left footed left back?

Edited by Dalgety Bay TA

I actually thought he competed quite well in the air with Walters which was probably the main reason he was picked?

Beforehand I was sure that Whittaker would start, especially after Strachan praising him after Poland away. Forsyth was a bit of a surprise but, IMO, he doesn't have that much of a physical advantage over Whittaker as there is only an inch height difference and Whittaker weighs more than him, can bench press more than him and could take him in a square go. Maybe Strachan favoured Forsyth due to him being a left footed left back?

As I said I am sure in pre-match interview on Sky he was asked about the team selections and he ear-marked Forsyth's physical presence he gave so who are we to argue with Gordon. I was surprised as I was expecting Whittaker to play as well but Strachan picks the team. Frankly, I think the biggest error in selection was not starting with Anya. That was what disjointed our performance first half more than anything.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

Alan Hutton is probably the single biggest culprit for the goals that we concede. He offers little going forward other than headless chicken running and an almost 0% rate of cross completion. I wish Strachan would bin him sooner rather than later. As for Forsyth, not his best game, but not the worst performance I've seen in a Scotland jersey. There was still the effort and desire there even if things weren't happening for him in the first half.

Edited by BremnerLorimerGray

As bad a game as I've seen anyone have in a Scotland game in long time

Pretty sure the cross that lead to the corner they scored from came from his side. Everything went down there as they quickly realised he was honking.

He was brutal, worth discussing.

If someone is absolutely atrocious, we need to be able to discuss it and throw ideas around about alternative tactics.

I felt Forsyth merited his own discussion as his performance was so shockingly bad

I can't believe you started a thread to have a go at a player without stopping to think of one single thing he did wrong.

"pretty sure the cross came from his side" - is that your whole argument?

I can't believe you started a thread to have a go at a player without stopping to think of one single thing he did wrong.

He must have totally forgot Alan Hansen colliding with a team-mate to let Russia in to score in the 1982 World Cup - cost us a goal and qualification. Me thinks that was far worse than anything Forsyth did on Saturday.

just watched the highlights again - i blame Hutton totally for the goal - no attempt at header that led to the corner ; Marshall having to tip it over

- then slow reacting to Walters at the goal ; even allowing for the offside , it was his man by looks of it

Totally agree with this.

This thread is about the wrong full-back.

No, that was in response to a specific point.

That I have to explain why he was awful to you suggests you didn't watch or know nothing about football, but if you're asking - he started the first half nervy as hell, refused to put a challenge in, allowing Ireland to fire in cross after cross, including the one leading to the goal. So much so that they attacked our left far more often than our right - Ireland agreed with me and identified it as a real weakness and somewhere they could get at us.

He then got us pinned in our own half on numerous occasions by wildly misplacing passes.

As he allowed himself to get more nervous, he backed off to the point that he often didn't go out to the channel to even meet Walters - he was often to be found around the six yard box when he should have been out closing down play and putting in challenges.

That he is seen to have improved in the second half is in large part due to the fact Anya came on and did a lot of his work for him - Forsyth was still often nowhere to be seen during attacks on our right.

As I said, all of that should have been obvious to anyone watching.

Anyone who asks you to explain knows nothing about football? Nice attitude.

For the corner, the ball is played in by Glenn Whelan who had too much space due to Morrison, Brown, and Maloney all sitting too deep.

Hutton then doesn't win his header, and reacts too slowly when the ball drops to Walters.

It's a real stretch to blame Forsyth.

As for Ireland exploiting an obvious weakness, the statistics don't back it up.

Just as many crosses came from Hutton's side of the pitch.

Brady and Hoolahan on the left saw as much of the ball as Coleman and Walters on the right.

Edited by davew

FFS, the ONLY person at fault for their goal was the linesman.

Twice. The header Marshall tipped over then the goal itself both offside.

In relation to Forsyth, he really was a bag of nerves. I watched the game again over the last couple of nights and he really looked like he wasn't happy out there. I felt sorry for him.

I'm sure he'll know he had a mare and learn from it. He'll come back stronger.