Scotland Vs Qatar - Match Thread - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Vs Qatar - Match Thread

LewisEDI

I think last night showed us that we have a lot of decent players, albeit with nobody who is really a level above.

Forrest is a different type of player to Ritchie. Ritchie can play on his opposite side because he likes to cut in and either slip balls through or have a shot. Forrest is a get to the byline player and with a weak left foot that means he is only effective when played on the right.

Forsyth was decent but a few slack passes. Wouldn't have him above Whitiker, Robertson or Bardsley in the pecking order but is a good back up / squad player.

Personally id like to see Berra partner Martin but I can see WGS going with either Greer or Mulgrew. Funny feeling it will be Mulgrew with Morrison beside Brown in midfield. 3 of top 4 will be Anya, Naismith and Fletcher with the right winger coming from either Maloney, Forrest or Ritchie. Id start with Ritchie and bring on Forrest later.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No I wouldn't say that or else why aren't they singling out Scott Brown and Darren Fletcher (seen as idols by many) for mediocre displays instead of knocking goalscorer Ritchie.

I dunno mate. I'm just pointing out that anyone saying that he's English isn't lying. I've not seen anyone knocking him for it either but if you have then you should ask those doing it rather than me.

Scott Brown had a good game last night by and Darren Fletcher came on as a sub. I don't have any issues with how either of them played.

Not unhappy with that, passed the ball well in the first half but we must convert our chances next week. Failed to score too many good ones v Qatar.

Problem is, we simply don't have any real goalscorers in the squad.

That's not a criticism by the way. I think Naismith has been consistently good for Scotland for years now, and puts in a great shift. Fletcher is a good link-up player. We've got lots of options out wide in Maloney, Ritchie and Forrest.

But what we don't have is a consistent, international goalscorer.

We're not gonna lose many games under Strachan, but scoring goals will always be a problem for us.

I thought we controlled the game well against poor opposition, but should have been a lot more clinical in the final third. Their keeper looked about D3 standard, and we should have been able to exploit that better. Nobody really stood out for me in the game, but I thought that Adam showed that he can have an impact from the bench if we need creativity in the closing stages.

The team I think Strachan will go for is this...

Marshall

Hutton/ Martin/ Berra/ Whittaker

Brown/ Fletcher

Morrison

Maloney/ Anya

Naismith

...He might go for S. Fletcher over Naismith, but I'd be quite surprised if we see both of them starting.

I thought we controlled the game well against poor opposition, but should have been a lot more clinical in the final third. Their keeper looked about D3 standard, and we should have been able to exploit that better. Nobody really stood out for me in the game, but I thought that Adam showed that he can have an impact from the bench if we need creativity in the closing stages.

The team I think Strachan will go for is this...

Marshall

Hutton/ Martin/ Berra/ Whittaker

Brown/ Fletcher

Morrison

Maloney/ Anya

Naismith

...He might go for S. Fletcher over Naismith, but I'd be quite surprised if we see both of them starting.

If both are fit I'd be astonished if they didn't start.

Thanks for video!

Now that's what I call service :)

And pretty good goal from Matt Ritchie. ..and yes he's perfectly entitled to play for Scotland having a Scottish dad...

We live in a world where people move more and mix more so dual plus nationalities are going to be more and more commonplace.

In theory someone could be born in one country, have 2 parents born in 2 other countries and 4 grandparents born in another 4 different countries. ..and if the person is then brought up and educated in yet another country then they could qualify for 8 different countries! !

It would be a challenge to find such a person. ...

Anyway good luck to Ritchie in any further games he gets for Scotland. .

Gonna fire thru them quickly (i hope)

Marshall - Did fine. Nothing to do really.

(Gordon - 45' ) - Only had the one real save and dealt with it well.

Anya - Fairly quite at right back. Think it was more about him getting to run about cos he hasn't played for a month. Will be back at left wing at the weekend.

Greer - Decent performance. No mistakes and while they were limited, that we kept them so quiet is a good thing.

Mulgrew - Much like Greer. Had a good game, but not hugely tested imo.

Forsyth - Did well. contributed to the attack, offered and delivered a few balls which we might have done more with.

Brown - Pretty solid game from him. Did his job.

(Fletcher - 60' ) - Still a bit frustrated with him. Looks better now he's getting games for his club, but doesn't look to pass forward enough.

McArthur - Nothing much from him in the first half. Still the 5th choice defensive mid for me.

(Morrison - 45' ) - Looked a little off. Gave it away a couple of times just from being sloppy. Not his best game, for sure.

Ritchie - Did well. Did his usual 'keep possession' thing which is important at this level, took his goal well and kept try to get in positions to contribute.

Maloney - Quiet. Tough to leave him out given his form this campaign, but didn't make much happen against limited opposition.

(Adam - 60' ) - Was actually great when he came on. Offered us something different, playing in some great balls we should have done more with.

Forrest - Hit and miss. Looked dangerous at times, his pace was useful, did get some balls in, but does lack a bit of quality when moving the ball on.

(Russell - 74' ) - Looked good. Worked hard, almost stole a goal with a tough chance. Want to see more, but not sure where to include him tho.

Naismith - Solid game from Naisy, but his inability to score is getting a little worrying. Had 3-4 really good chances and took none.

(Griffiths - 59' ) - Poor. His positioning was horrible several times when we should have had tap ins and he failed to do anything with the balls that did come to him.

Overall, it was fine. It was more about getting miles in some legs which haven't done much for a month. Adam looked like he could be a useful weapon to change a game, we don't have anyone else who plays balls like the ones he did when he came on.

For the coming game.. Mulgrew might find himself a slot at the back along side Martin. Hutton will be back in on the right. Left back's a bit of an unknown now. I'd guess at Whittaker, but he's the one I'm least confident in. Brown and Fletch look likely in the middle. Fletch#2 up top with Naismith behind. Anya down the left.. The only real question is Maloney on the right, or does WGS go with Forrest given that Ireland intend to come at us and Forrest and Anya's pace on the break could be really valuable. I'd maybe start with Maloney, but look to bring Forrest and Adam on (for Maloney and Naismith) after an hour. Should be interesting anyway.

I don't think there is any comparison between Maloney and Forrest. One has been talismanic for us in the last year or two whilst the other is yet to really prove himself at this level. Apart from that I do agree with everything else though.

Yeah, I just think there's a chance Strachan might look to Forrest as a bigger outlet than Maloney. Pretty sure Forrest is decently quicker than Brady, so his pace will work from the start and then Maloney coming on about the hour will be free to use his skills against really tired legs. The counter is going to be a big part of our game at the weekend, and Forrest is made for that.

Is there a chance of Maloney in the number 10 role rather than Naisy?

Maloney will definitely start and Forrest won't. I'd be gobsmacked if Forrest is in the starting 11. This, in my opinion, will be the side:-

1. David Marshall (Cardiff C.) 19th Cap
2. Alan Hutton (Aston Villa) 45th Cap
3. Steven Whittaker (Norwich C.) 30th Cap
4. Charlie Mulgrew (Celtic) 18th Cap 2 Goals
5. Russell Martin (Norwich C.) 19th Cap
6. Shaun Maloney (Chicago Fire) 41st Cap 6 Goals
7. James Morrison (WBA) 39th Cap 3 Goals
8. Scott Brown (Celtic) (Capt.) 45th Cap 4 Goals
9. Steven Fletcher (Sunderland) 21st Cap 4 Goals
10. Steven Naismith (Everton) 38th Cap 5 Goals
11. Ikechi Anya (Watford) 15th Cap 2 Goals

like putting it on a plate for russell

If one good pass in half an hour is enough for you.. well you're perfectly entitled to that opinion.

He hid several times, particularly one instance where we broke down the left and he made it harder and harder for him to receive a pass, and didn't push the should of the defender for a tap in. Failed to do anything when played into good positions a couple of times, and got outpaced for another chance. For me he was average at best, and I suspect if Chris Martin had played how he did everyone would be raging. For some reason Griffiths seems to retain some fans, despite repeatedly not showing nearly enough at this level.

Maloney will definitely start and Forrest won't. I'd be gobsmacked if Forrest is in the starting 11. This, in my opinion, will be the side:-

1. David Marshall (Cardiff C.) 19th Cap

2. Alan Hutton (Aston Villa) 45th Cap

3. Steven Whittaker (Norwich C.) 30th Cap

4. Charlie Mulgrew (Celtic) 18th Cap 2 Goals

5. Russell Martin (Norwich C.) 19th Cap

6. Shaun Maloney (Chicago Fire) 41st Cap 6 Goals

7. James Morrison (WBA) 39th Cap 3 Goals

8. Scott Brown (Celtic) (Capt.) 45th Cap 4 Goals

9. Steven Fletcher (Sunderland) 21st Cap 4 Goals

10. Steven Naismith (Everton) 38th Cap 5 Goals

11. Ikechi Anya (Watford) 15th Cap 2 Goals

Craig I can see Darren Fletcher in the side just got an suspicion..