Tonsilitis - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Never been in discomfort like it in my puff. On penicillin for ten days as of Monday past . Hope I am fit and healthy for ireland .

I feel your pain. Get it once a year, regular as clockwork. Horrible and sends me to bed for a couple of days. The docs wouldn't take my tonsils out when I was a bairn and said I'd grow out of it. I'm 41 so looks like I'm stuck with it :worried:

I had mine out at 41. I'd had regular bouts of tonsillitis throughout my life, but have never had one in the 17 years since.

Naranjito82 - I would never offer medical advice, but the events preceding my (urgent) tonsilectomy lead me to recommend that, after 10 days of pain, you go to see your doctor ASAP - go again if you've already seen them.

You will be fine but look after yourself and get better for Dublin

Tobsillitis 90% of the time is viral so antibiotics are completely ineffective against it. The doctors prescribe penicillin anyway basically to cover all bases, another reason why antibiotic resistance is going to be a real problem in future.

Anyway, bottom line is the chances are it's viral, don't get too hung up on the antibiotics, drink plenty water and get as much goodness into you as possible.....then destroy your throat all over in Dublin ?

Tobsillitis 90% of the time is viral so antibiotics are completely ineffective against it. The doctors prescribe penicillin anyway basically to cover all bases, another reason why antibiotic resistance is going to be a real problem in future.

Anyway, bottom line is the chances are it's viral, don't get too hung up on the antibiotics, drink plenty water and get as much goodness into you as possible.....then destroy your throat all over in Dublin

Resistance to antibiotics is a real problem right now. This is one of my pet hates. Some GPs are still far too ready to dish out antibiotics like they were sweeties. It cant be down to ignorance, they must know the issues surrounding the over prescribing of antibiotics. Yet they just continue to do it, even without any real evidence of bacterial infection.

Resistance to antibiotics is a real problem right now. This is one of my pet hates. Some GPs are still far too ready to dish out antibiotics like they were sweeties. It cant be down to ignorance, they must know the issues surrounding the over prescribing of antibiotics. Yet they just continue to do it, even without any real evidence of bacterial infection.

There was an interesting programme on a few weeks back, basically saying many antibiotics could be redundant in the near future and basic diseases could kill folk just like in the 19th century etc. Pharmaceutical companies don't want to invest in new antibiotics as it's not cost effective for them.

It's frightening the way GPs etc over prescribe, similarly how the majority of folk think they 'need'an antibiotic and put pressure on doctors to prescribe.....a bit of a vicious circle to some extent.

Personally I've been prescribed antibiotics and never bothered taking them as I knew they weren't essential. Everyone in my family think I'm strange because I rarely take medicines, personally I probably am a bit different ? but I'd rather let my body sort itself out.

There was an interesting programme on a few weeks back, basically saying many antibiotics could be redundant in the near future and basic diseases could kill folk just like in the 19th century etc. Pharmaceutical companies don't want to invest in new antibiotics as it's not cost effective for them.

It's frightening the way GPs etc over prescribe, similarly how the majority of folk think they 'need'an antibiotic and put pressure on doctors to prescribe.....a bit of a vicious circle to some extent.

Personally I've been prescribed antibiotics and never bothered taking them as I knew they weren't essential. Everyone in my family think I'm strange because I rarely take medicines, personally I probably am a bit different but I'd rather let my body sort itself out.

Same here fella, never been one for medicinal drugs, body is strong enough to fight it by itsel, with a little help from a spicy curry and a massage from Miss Artois ;)

Used to get it at least twice a year as a kid. Missed so much time at school because of it. Ended up having them out when I was 12. Even then I continued to get throat infections until I was in my mid twenties. Brutal, absolutely brutal. The only thing that would dull the pain was ice cold water and that was only for an instant. I had so much penbritain as a kid I now have a penicillin allergy. Won't take antibiotics now. Nightmare though when you are dying for a bit of toast but can't swallow it and a cup of tea is an instrument of torture.