Major News! - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Because there's not enough Aberdeen threads on here.....

Jim Leighton has left the club (again), so there's a position for goalkeeping coach

In unrelated news, FC Twente have announced that Theo Snelders will be leaving his position as goalkeeper coach at the end of the season...

As you were

Because there's not enough Aberdeen threads on here.....

Jim Leighton has left the club (again), so there's a position for goalkeeping coach

In unrelated news, FC Twente have announced that Theo Snelders will be leaving his position as goalkeeper coach at the end of the season...

As you were

Are these 2 things related?

Always quite liked Jim Leighton due to his loyalty to the national team.

Are these 2 things related?

Always quite liked Jim Leighton due to his loyalty to the national team.

A very loyal goalie for club and country

But a bit bizzare at the same time

His stubbornness / vanity in Cardiff 85 could have had more serious consequences than rough coming on 2nd half ; playing half sighted for more of the game ; as contact lens popped out in 1st half ; no mention to mgr / no spares....

His tiff with SAF after palace cup final debacle

He's had some moments too

Brazil at WC 90 where he kept it in play for their goal ; and our exit...

Ujpest Doza away ; Aberdeen : think on you tube

Not greatest on crosses

Pretty harsh ; but he had an ego - wasn't without fault

A very loyal goalie for club and country

But a bit bizzare at the same time

His stubbornness / vanity in Cardiff 85 could have had more serious consequences than rough coming on 2nd half ; playing half sighted for more of the game ; as contact lens popped out in 1st half ; no mention to mgr / no spares....

His tiff with SAF after palace cup final debacle

He's had some moments too

Brazil at WC 90 where he kept it in play for their goal ; and our exit...

Ujpest Doza away ; Aberdeen : think on you tube

Not greatest on crosses

Pretty harsh ; but he had an ego - wasn't without fault

Bang on with all but Sweden game sticks in memory, save after save, how did we win that one ?....... J L didn't score the winner but stopped Sweden scoring a barrow load ?

True story time.

Big Jim got signed due to injury. When utd seen him they were due to watch the first choice keeper at the time but a couple of days before the game Andy suffered from a broken arm or leg ( can't remember which) big Jim was then in goal and the utd scouts thought they might as well come and see if there was any other potential players when they heard about Andy and low and behold big Jim impressed them and the rest is history

True story time.

Big Jim got signed due to injury. When utd seen him they were due to watch the first choice keeper at the time but a couple of days before the game Andy suffered from a broken arm or leg ( can't remember which) big Jim was then in goal and the utd scouts thought they might as well come and see if there was any other potential players when they heard about Andy and low and behold big Jim impressed them and the rest is history

Which Andy ?

And which Utd ?

I was at a Glenrothes Aberdeen Supporters POTY night out many moons ago. Jim Leighton was in attendance, and I just had to be standing next to him when a Dons fans mentioned to him about Billy Thomson letting in a long range shot while playing for Scotland (can name mind who it was against). Leighton's reply was that "No Goalie should let in a shot from that distance". I reminded Leighton that he had let in a shot from a similar distance the previous season at Dens Park. He wisnnae happy at being reminded of this and told me to FO Ya St Johnstone Wa nk".

As a goalkeeping coach he has presided over the worst period for goalkeepers at Aberdeen since I was born.

If he thinks Langfield and that other useless feck Brown are keepers then he didn't even deserve the four line thanks on the official website the Record are greeting about.

All the managers including McInnes are as much to blame as well.

We need to get Stuart McCall in

I always take people as I find them. The old dear took me down to todders (aged 7) to meet the players. Jim was outside washing his clapped out Alpha Romeo - this was before he was established first team regular. Put his bucket down, took us both a wee tour of the stadium and rounded up any player in sight to sign my wee book. Class act. Although I have heard a few stories subsequently, which would indicate the fame might have got to him a bit.

As a goalkeeping coach he has presided over the worst period for goalkeepers at Aberdeen since I was born.

If he thinks Langfield and that other useless feck Brown are keepers then he didn't even deserve the four line thanks on the official website the Record are greeting about.

He's just protecting his legacy!

I always take people as I find them. The old dear took me down to todders (aged 7) to meet the players. Jim was outside washing his clapped out Alpha Romeo - this was before he was established first team regular. Put his bucket down, took us both a wee tour of the stadium and rounded up any player in sight to sign my wee book. Class act. Although I have heard a few stories subsequently, which would indicate the fame might have got to him a bit.

He's from Johnstone. You should just be grateful he didn't try and dip your pockets and swipe your old dears bag!

Which Andy ?

And which Utd ?

Babay brain kicking in was Aberdeen not utd. He was the number 2 keeper at Dalry to Andy Armstrong. Grew up with Andy's son so used to hear the stories from him

Goalkeeping has been a problem position for years now at Aberdeen and it is time they sorted it out.

Hopefully the sacking of bandy is the first step.Next thing should be to get a keeper who isnt Jamie Langfield or Scott Brown.

Was it Leighton and Craig Brown who thought the boy at Dundee (who is in the Scotland squad )wasn't good enough to make it ?

Babay brain kicking in was Aberdeen not utd. He was the number 2 keeper at Dalry to Andy Armstrong. Grew up with Andy's son so used to hear the stories from him

There's a boy on Dalrys committee who still bangs on about Leighton as if it makes them a force in junior football. Nah pal, yer still shite!

Goalkeeping has been a problem position for years now at Aberdeen and it is time they sorted it out.

Hopefully the sacking of bandy is the first step.Next thing should be to get a keeper who isnt Jamie Langfield or Scott Brown.

Was it Leighton and Craig Brown who thought the boy at Dundee (who is in the Scotland squad )wasn't good enough to make it ?

Think it was both, he's turned out to be one of the few we've released who've gone onto improve since being freed by us. Whilst Leighton didn't sign the goalkeepers we've brought in over the last 15 years he's been goalkeeping coach (minus the 15 months after McGoo binned him), he has coached them and it doesn't reflect well on him that we've not had a strong number one in that time. Take sentiment out and it's the right decision, a bit of freshness in the coaching staff required.

There's a boy on Dalrys committee who still bangs on about Leighton as if it makes them a force in junior football. Nah pal, yer still shite!

Aye they will never be as good as the mighty

To be fair we could do the same about Steve clarke

Edited by hunchy