Audi Drivers - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The one I'm looking doesn't have heated seats right enough. that's no big deal mind you.

I do really like BM's mate although not the 1 series. We need something bigger due to the new addition. Basically between Audi A4 and BMW 320D. Not a lot in it price wise.

I've never really had much dealing with Audi or even driven one I don't think. Visually stunning I have to say.

What I've found so far is Audi drivers telling me BM's are nae gid and vice versa :-)):-)):-))

I'll probably go back to the Audi next time? The 1st thing everybody said about my BMW was "what about the snow?" and it did cross my mind, but most of my driving is on main roads and motorways, and I live near a school, so the road is always gritted. If the weathers that bad that it's likely to be a problem, I probably won't be going out. It never really snowed this year anyway. So not sure if it's a bit of a cliche amongst non BMW drivers or a genuine problem?

The Audi garage was great, but did seem a bit OTT, a guy meets you at the gate, walky talkys another guy that meets you at the door to take your car away, you then speak to the receptionist, who sends you over to the cafe, where a waitress gets you a cup of tea, while you wait for the service guy to book your car in. I can't help think "thank I'm not paying for this".

I've had a few Audis over the years, starting with an old Audi 100 quattro estate, 1987 vintage, the "if you want to be on the beach before the Germans" model. I collected a 2010 Q5 yesterday (never buy new cars any more, always used), and I still have my old X reg. A4 Avant 2.5TDI Quattro tiptronic which I will have to sell - fantastic car and only done 120k which is nothing for an Audi but not really wanted as a trade in. Thinking of keeping it but lack of room means I can't really. I love that car despite it being 15 years old and a bit worn, and it's so compact compared to modern versions. Also have an 08 TT convertible which is a cracker to drive, a sort of Golf GTI with a softtop and beautifully built. My wife has an A1 1.4TFSI with the auto box and she loves it, although it has the S line suspension which is horrendously lumpy IMHO. My Q5 is an S line but with the standard suspension which is a bit softer - the s line suspension is very stiff and the standard suspension is far more comfortable while not affecting handling.

I would highly recommend Audi if you choose one of the decent models - there are a few in their range that aren't terribly good to drive - but the quality is fantastic, and in my perception they are more durable than BMWs, and in styling terms they don't seem to date as quickly as BMWs. I considered a BMW X3 but couldn't find one in my price range apart from the previous model which is a horrendous clunker - the current X3 is excellent to drive but it's a sort of three pints and a paper bag in terms of its looks.

Audis can be expensive to repair but if you find a good independent garage and use common sense, they are fine. I find you can usually buy most things a lot cheaper than Audi charge, although on the newer models there's less you can do as they are basically a big computer with wheels, like all modern cars. The galvanised bodywork also means they don't rust. The exhausts seem to last forever too - my A4 still has the original exhaust 15 years on.

Edited by Alibi

Cheers for all the comments so far. I think it's clear to see that both are excellent cars. The models in particular we are looking at is the 320d M Sport and the A4 S-Line Black Edition. Both cars are 2 years old, I wouldn't buy new either.

Only way to decide is getting a run in both and seeing what we prefer I think. We are, at the moment anyway edging towards Audi

It would ruin the driving experience, which is a big part of what a BMW is about - the motoring purist would always opt for RWD (gets the power down better off the line - as long as it's dry - and no torque steer) even though there's a price to pay in wintery conditions. Although LSDs have reduced scrabbling off the line in high-power FWD cars e.g. Seat Leon 280.

Yeah I get that, and suppose as someone else has said in Germany they probably have snow tyres and itll work much better.

Cheers for all the comments so far. I think it's clear to see that both are excellent cars. The models in particular we are looking at is the 320d M Sport and the A4 S-Line Black Edition. Both cars are 2 years old, I wouldn't buy new either.

Only way to decide is getting a run in both and seeing what we prefer I think. We are, at the moment anyway edging towards Audi

Of those 2, the BMW is the better car to drive and generally when tested beats the A4. You can get it with 4WD now although the oldest 4WD versions might not be 2 years old yet. They seem to start at about £25000+ from a BMW dealer. the 2WD versions are available for a lot less as they've been around longer.

Of those 2, the BMW is the better car to drive and generally when tested beats the A4. You can get it with 4WD now although the oldest 4WD versions might not be 2 years old yet. They seem to start at about £25000+ from a BMW dealer. the 2WD versions are available for a lot less as they've been around longer.

Test drove both today mate. We both preferred the Audi. The BM drove brilliantly as well but I thought it felt a bit heavier. The room inside was noticeable as well. That and the rear wheel drive was the deciding factor for us.

I'm far from a car purist mind you. As I said above they are both fantastic cars as far as I can see but the Audi stood out from the minute I seen it and ticks all the boxes for us.

Cheers to everyone for replying, very helpful :ok::ok:

Tadgers much like bmw drivers, leave on a slip road at the very last moment in the fast lane of. I know they have great brakes but why come right up peoples arses leave that to George michael and the likes! As soon as they join a motorway they have to get in the fast lane pronto! i should have just left this at the first word!

Audi drivers are the new bmw drivers, a total pain! Numerous times some Audi driver has decided that if you are overtaking and not going at least 90 mph - that is too slow and is flashing lights and right behind you. Slowing down to the speed limit normally increases there rage. Think it is because so many reps now have Audi - as opposed to bmw

You have been in the fast lane in a car that is not a audi or bmw surely against the law surely!

Edited by albathebrave

Funny I did fancy one of them. Non starter with Mrs Angus Young though

too late anyway, I bought the Audi about an hour ago :-))

Make sure you not only insure it before driving it - but tax it also

Put a deposit down on car. Insured it night before purchase

Collected car & signed the paperwork

Drove home and taxed it 30 minutes later when i got online

The 30 minute drive home where the car was not taxed cost me a £64 fine - camera check

The galling thing is that they knew i bought it and taxed it on the same day- but after i had drove it

cash cow Britain

Make sure you not only insure it before driving it - but tax it also

Put a deposit down on car. Insured it night before purchase

Collected car & signed the paperwork

Drove home and taxed it 30 minutes later when i got online

The 30 minute drive home where the car was not taxed cost me a £64 fine - camera check

The galling thing is that they knew i bought it and taxed it on the same day- but after i had drove it

cash cow Britain

Ffs that's unlucky. They include the tax in the price so all taken care of. Only £30 anyway