Interesting Goings On At Tannadice? - Page 4 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Interesting Goings On At Tannadice?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simmy > Davie Narey, yes?

Eh?

As a midfielder absolutely yes.

Which part of 'direct counterpart' did you not understand?

Narey's direct counterpart was Willie Miller.

Miller was a better player than Narey of that there can be no argument.

Narey was a very good defender who was unlucky to be playing at a time when the very Scotland has ever had in that position was playing at the same time. I rated Narey as a better player than Alan Hansen.

Eh?

As a midfielder absolutely yes.

Which part of 'direct counterpart' did you not understand?

Narey's direct counterpart was Willie Miller.

Miller was a better player than Narey of that there can be no argument.

Narey was a very good defender who was unlucky to be playing at a time when the very Scotland has ever had in that position was playing at the same time. I rated Narey as a better player than Alan Hansen.

I'll argue that Narey was a better midfielder than Simpson - he often played there for United and even for Scotland sometimes - and comparable to Miller. Perhaps not better, but there's a debate to be had. Narey was a better passer, a better footballing defender but Miller definitely had the edge when it came to refereeing. ?

I've mixed feelings. It's not up McNamara is somebody is sold and he doesn't have a huge basic salary. It's common elsewhere but in all honesty I'd rather it wasn't the case, it just doesn't feel right.

That said, ArabTrust have made fannies of themselves over it. Give them a bit of influence and this is what happens.

I've mixed feelings. It's not up McNamara is somebody is sold and he doesn't have a huge basic salary. It's common elsewhere but in all honesty I'd rather it wasn't the case, it just doesn't feel right.

That said, ArabTrust have made fannies of themselves over it. Give them a bit of influence and this is what happens.

I agree it just doesn't seem right, it's hard to think that this wasn't simply hush money to keep him from making a lot of noise about the transfers. But regardless the club seem to rewarding actions that have f*cked their season.

I agree it just doesn't seem right, it's hard to think that this wasn't simply hush money to keep him from making a lot of noise about the transfers. But regardless the club seem to rewarding actions that have f*cked their season.

I think the clause has been there since he extended his contract so I don't think it's "hush money". If the club hadn't sold the guys to Celtic when they did and the season hadn't collapsed I don't imagine we' have heard anything about it.

Would never have thought this on the 30th Jan after 8 games without defeat, a semi win against Aberdeen, a lingering league challenge and a 6-2 pumping of the Dees, but McNamara's jaicket is on a shoogly peg now. He will have lost a lot of good will from some of our more reactionary supporters and the pressure will really begin to mount if we keep getting beaten at home by Partick Thistle, Ross County etc.

I think the clause has been there since he extended his contract so I don't think it's "hush money". If the club hadn't sold the guys to Celtic when they did and the season hadn't collapsed I don't imagine we' have heard anything about it.

Would never have thought this on the 30th Jan after 8 games without defeat, a semi win against Aberdeen, a lingering league challenge and a 6-2 pumping of the Dees, but McNamara's jaicket is on a shoogly peg now. He will have lost a lot of good will from some of our more reactionary supporters and the pressure will really begin to mount if we keep getting beaten at home by Partick Thistle, Ross County etc.

You have to think how a transfer commission (for want of a better word) clause is in the interest of the club, if supporters believe it's profits before points how long will they keep going? By the way I not having a dig here when I read about this clause I was genuinely shocked.

You have to think how a transfer commission (for want of a better word) clause is in the interest of the club, if supporters believe it's profits before points how long will they keep going? By the way I not having a dig here when I read about this clause I was genuinely shocked.

I suppose it's just another method of paying conditional bonuses and keeping the wage bill down if things aren't going well.

It doesn't look good, you're right. And now it's public it's terrible PR.

I suppose it's just another method of paying conditional bonuses and keeping the wage bill down if things aren't going well.

It doesn't look good, you're right. And now it's public it's terrible PR.

The real problem now is the results and possibly squad morale. If Utd were still winning then nobody would give a toss.

In all honesty, I reckon McNamara is toast. Shame, but just a matter of time now. Imagine how the boo boys will react when Ciftci is sold in the summer.

His only hope would be to cancel the clause.

Edited by adamntg

If you use the United forums as a yardstick, there is no future for JMac at Tannadice. I am not happy with the clause but it doesn't seem that is so unusual and he only signed what was agreed. And its not like he sold the players himself.

It seems that there a lot things being lumped together, particularly the Stephen Thompson stuff and perhaps people with other agendas, that are causing people to go for JMac as he is an easy target.

If people wanted him out because he was an average manager with no plan B, I could understand that.

You're probably right, but United Mad and East Fudball are populated almost exclusively by total idiots. Arab League is sensible, and therefore quiet.

I fear JMac has lost trust, can't see how he regains it. Shame, I think he's an ok manager.

For me, most important for Utd is that the Thompson family stick around and continue to fund the youth system.

Thanks to the Trust and Fed for making a reasonable manager's post virtually untenable.

Edited by adamntg

15 clean sheets in 100 games maketh a reasonable manager not.

He is utterly clueless when he has to adapt tactics and can't even setup a team to play against some teams who he has to play up to four times a season.

Souttar doesn't get a game as often as he merits after he turned down Sunderland's offer when United had accepted their bid. I wonder why he doesn't get a game? As long as he can sell players he'll be happy, and is in his best interests not to keep the better players.

Who cares if managers getting a cut is commonplace in the English leagues. We are not the english leagues and it is a different dynamic in Scotland.

You're probably right, but United Mad and East Fudball are populated almost exclusively by total idiots. Arab League is sensible, and therefore quiet.

I fear JMac has lost trust, can't see how he regains it. Shame, I think he's an ok manager.

For me, most important for Utd is that the Thompson family stick around and continue to fund the youth system.

Thanks to the Trust and Fed for making a reasonable manager's post virtually untenable.

So the Thomson tribe should stick around and funder the youth academy whilst large sums of money from the sale of players leaves the club?

He is utterly clueless when he has to adapt tactics and can't even setup a team to play against some teams who he has to play up to four times a season

I'm going to disagree, I'm not one for hyperbole. He's neither utterly clueless nor is he a genius. He has done a pretty good job, but I think the club's strength is in its thorough approach to youth. Anyone could manage a team with Robertson, GMS, Armstrong and Gauld to more wins than defeats.

Which is why ST and Stevie Campbell are, in my opinion, the key to Utd's success.

He is utterly clueless when he has to adapt tactics and can't even setup a team to play against some teams who he has to play up to four times a season.

Souttar doesn't get a game as often as he merits after he turned down Sunderland's offer when United had accepted their bid. I wonder why he doesn't get a game? As long as he can sell players he'll be happy, and is in his best interests not to keep the better players.

Can't disagree with the the first two lines. He might be a young manager but the same mistakes are made over and over again. Seems unable to change things when plan A isn't working or leaves it too late. Refusal to change formation/tactics probably cost us the Scottish Cup last season. Does also make you wonder how much help he gets from his two colleagues.

The Soutar line is unfair. Soutar might turn out to be a great player but last season, he was a liability and this season,he has been injured. Bringing himback yesterday doesn't seem to help us defend.