Dogs - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Kennel outside or leave in a cage in the house ( as a puppy ).

Au decent neighbours or family who could nip round on the 3 days ?

Remember, a puppy is very demanding and attention seeking, bit like a baby. But they are a great source of company and so loving.

Get a dug, they are superb.

Ww are thinking of getting a family dog, our baby is just 8 months old, are we mad??

Also once the wife goes back to work dog would be alone for 3 full days per week, would this be fair?

Getting a dog would be fine but take a look at you nearest Dogs Trust instead of buying a puppy or whatever. We've been taking rescue dogs for years and never had a bad one. Lots of dogs needing a home and many already house trained but end up needing a new home because the owner's died or unable to continue looking after it.

The Dogs Trust work with all the dogs in their care so they know the dog's personality and they go into great detail with you to match you with the right dog. Just because it'll be alone while you're at work or whatever doesn't mean you won't get one. Far better than the alternative of staying in the pound.

When I say all day I mean 8-6 so ten hours.

A bit wary of getting a rescue dog with a baby in the house, never know how it has been treated before etc. Never had a dog better so little experience

Rescue greyhound is what you want mate. Placid big guys, never seen an act of aggression once. The time in the house alone for them will be fine too as they are lazy bast'rds! Very little in the way of exercise for the same reason. Mate of mine is involved in the lanarkshire greyhound rescue thing. Should defo check them out mate.

Rescue greyhound is what you want mate. Placid big guys, never seen an act of aggression once. The time in the house alone for them will be fine too as they are lazy bast'rds! Very little in the way of exercise for the same reason. Mate of mine is involved in the lanarkshire greyhound rescue thing. Should defo check them out mate.

Does your mate drink in the Parkville in Blantyre?

I'd second this defo. Both my brother and I got greyhounds early last year and both of us now have 4 month babies. They're lazy bastards that sleep 18 hours a day. Twenty minute walk each night and a longer one at the weekend does mine no problem. Mine sniffed baby the first day and then has pretty much ignored her since. My brother's sniffs theirs now and again but disappears downstairs to sleep as soon as the wee man starts crying. Never leave them in the same room unsupervised but that's more obvious safety rather than necessity.

We got ours off Scottish Greyhound Sanctuary and if you told them you've got a baby they'll only let you adopt one that has been fostered with young kids. Greyhounds aren't bread like pedigrees so generally have good health - the only thing ours needed was a good clean of her teeth.

If you can find somewhere to let them run by god it's glorious!

We've got a labradoodle, she's just coming up on 2. Me and the Mrs both work but she's a nurse so only works 3 days a week. When we got the pup at first I went home every lunchtime to let her out etc.

Wouldn't recommend leaving a pup alone for 8 hours!

its worth checking that trust place then, cheers.

Thistlewhistle and Flynnyboy make a good point about the greyhounds. They often live a shitey life when racing so giving one a good home is well worthwhile, and as mentioned very placid and just want a comfy kip when they're at home. If you're open to any breed then the Dogs Trust is a good shout, but if you're worried about the nipper and want to more or less guarantee there'll no issue then somewhere like this is the place to go:

http://www.scottishgreyhoundsanctuary.com

Edited by redstevie007

Does your mate drink in the Parkville in Blantyre?

I don't think so mate, he is more a work friend than a proper mate, he is from larkhall bud...

http://www.gal.org.uk

They are all over the country... Redstevies link is also well worth a look, if you are near lanarkshire then I can put you in touch with someone if you are interested

Edited by flynnyboy

I've got a dogwalker who takes my boys out once a day. Lots of them about these days so it's worth looking into. My dogwalker lives locally so he walks round to get my dogs so they don't have to be transported by van - which is fortunate as Viktor gets very stressed in a moving vehicle. It costs me £11 for the two dogs to be walked for around an hour.

It's also handy when I go away as the boys go to the dogwalker and stay at his flat which is less stressful for them than going to kennels as Jack was with the Dogs Trust for over six years and Viktor for four and a half so I think they've spent more than enough time in kennels.

The Dogs Trust considered that our circumstances were not in line with any of the dogs they had. Now I agree that they don't want to house say a huge dog in a pokey flat and it to be left alone for 12 hours a day but our circs were pretty much that of your average person with a dog. So drove along to Cardonald SSPCA and picked up this other fella and he is the best dog you could wish for. Something suggests the Dogs Trust maybe being a little too precious and protective re their dogs............

Another voice to the greyhound shout. We rescued a lurcher who is half greyhound half collie a couple of years ago and she's an angel. We've also got a 5 month old baby but even though the dog was here first she's absolutely brilliant with the wee one and has never even so much as looked suspiciously at her.

I'd never get any other kind of dog now as her laziness and friendliness make her a perfect pet.

The Dogs Trust considered that our circumstances were not in line with any of the dogs they had. Now I agree that they don't want to house say a huge dog in a pokey flat and it to be left alone for 12 hours a day but our circs were pretty much that of your average person with a dog. So drove along to Cardonald SSPCA and picked up this other fella and he is the best dog you could wish for. Something suggests the Dogs Trust maybe being a little too precious and protective re their dogs............

Aye, you're right, the Dogs Trust are very careful but I can't disagree with them on that given some of the tubes owning dugs these days. Funnily enough, we went to Cardonald when we were looking too (stayed in Kings Park at the time) but they were in the process of giving a Staffy to some wee jaikey and it put me off.

Another voice to the greyhound shout. We rescued a lurcher who is half greyhound half collie a couple of years ago and she's an angel. We've also got a 5 month old baby but even though the dog was here first she's absolutely brilliant with the wee one and has never even so much as looked suspiciously at her.

I'd never get any other kind of dog now as her laziness and friendliness make her a perfect pet.

One of mine is a Lurcher/Staffy cross. Perfect blend of intelligence and laziness for me :lol: on the other hand, the other one's a Lab/Retreiver who gets lost making his way to the garden for his morning shit....

My only experience of the SSPCA was years ago when I was looking to get a second dog. Tried to introduce a dog to my dog in the play area and she kept attacking Murphy so I said I'd leave it. Got a phone call a couple of days later to see if I wanted the dog - pointed out there was no point if it didn't get on with my own dog.

Dogs Trust were very cautious and said lots of possible things to be wary about with Jack - which turned out not to be the case once I got him out of the kennel environment. However, I did spent 2 and a half months visiting him at the kennels so both he and the staff there got to know me very well. I also followed the advice they gave me very closely and I think that helped. Viktor was a different kettle of fish but the Dogs Trust were willing to let me have him because I'd done so well with Jack.

People need to realise that if you go to a re-homing centre you might not find the right dog first time and you won't walk out with a dog that day. In the months that I spent visiting the centre 2 or 3 times a week, I saw lots of people leaving really disappointed because they hadn't been able to pop in and walk away with a dog.