Next Goal Wins - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Goal Wins

Anyone seen this? Sky Movies are showing it just now. Brilliant documentary about the American Samoa national team and the Dutch coach who works with them in their 2014 World Cup qualifiers. Great to watch the game being played by guys just for the love of it.

The games they played were in 2011 and according to the FIFA website they haven't played since. So for all the noise FIFA make about developing the game world wide they're obviously failing dismally in that part of the world. How is a country supposed to develop if they only play when it comes to World Cup qualifying?

I've not long finished a book called Up Pohnpei which sounds pretty similar to this. It's about a guy and his mate who decide they want to manage an international team so they head out to a remote Micronesian Island and try and introduce structured football with the intention of setting up an international team. It's a really good read and again quite heart warming to see the lengths people will go to just for their love of the game. Incidentally the main guy in it is the brother of the comedian Mark Watson. I believe there is also a documentary of this scheduled for release this year.

I was looking for a football documentary to watch last week and ended up watching the one about Wimbledon's 'CRAZY GANG', against my better judgement. It's worth watching for John Fashanu's contributions. He's a deluded psychopath. Lies throughout the film and is obsessed with violence as a means to win football matches and intimidate his teammates.

I was looking for a football documentary to watch last week and ended up watching the one about Wimbledon's 'CRAZY GANG', against my better judgement. It's worth watching for John Fashanu's contributions. He's a deluded psychopath. Lies throughout the film and is obsessed with violence as a means to win football matches and intimidate his teammates.

He comes across as a complete bellend. Although it's not really elaborated on his treatment of John Scales in particular seems dreadful.

He comes across as a complete bellend. Although it's not really elaborated on his treatment of John Scales in particular seems dreadful.

Aye, Scales seemed haunted by it. Quite a few folk involved have come out and slated Fashanu since the film was shown.

Aye, Scales seemed haunted by it. Quite a few folk involved have come out and slated Fashanu since the film was shown.

What's that on? Sounds interesting. I intend watching the film mentioned when she starts nightshift again tonight. :ok:

It's on YouTube, crazy gang, watched it there.

Fashanu is a strange one. Sometimes came across as a normal guy but would have these intense moments, difficult to tell if he was playing up to his reputation a bit but then all the other players said he was pretty mental, but then he wasn't daft with his business interests. He did say he was giving Barnes a roasting before the final but Barnes said that was nonsense.

I love a good underdog story but there was a lot that was really unlikeable about that Wimbledon team, the tackles from Jones on Garry Stevens and the elbow on Mabbutt, the intimidation and fighting on players coming into the squad seemed way OTT, mind you Scales lasted years so how bad was it?

It's on YouTube, crazy gang, watched it there.

Fashanu is a strange one. Sometimes came across as a normal guy but would have these intense moments, difficult to tell if he was playing up to his reputation a bit but then all the other players said he was pretty mental, but then he wasn't daft with his business interests. He did say he was giving Barnes a roasting before the final but Barnes said that was nonsense.

I love a good underdog story but there was a lot that was really unlikeable about that Wimbledon team, the tackles from Jones on Garry Stevens and the elbow on Mabbutt, the intimidation and fighting on players coming into the squad seemed way OTT, mind you Scales lasted years so how bad was it?

Thanks. I'll get that on the tv through my phone. :ok: