Cost Of Staying - Georgia v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Cost Of Staying

CallumAyr

Keep hearing we should take American dollars as well as Georgian Lari , which one do they prefer mostly ?

Probably struggle to get Lari in the UK (and if you can it will be at a greatly reduced rate).

If you want to take money, then Dollars probably best

Edited by wanderer

I was there last time we played, I'm sure our digs were around 15 quid a night, that was for a double room in a 3 star hotel

With regards to prices for eating/drinking out, it was cheap back then, depending on where you go of course, we spent a lot of time drinking in an Irish bar which of course was more expensive, loads of places round the old part to try, think it was called Shardeni Street, it was good drinking in the local places as it was much cheaper, food was nice and cheap over there as well, get yourself to a traditional Georgian restaurant, superb, it was only on our last day we tried the Georgian wine, we were in some place and the barman gave us a free sample, very nice

I hope to go back this year but cant commit yet

It will take some going to beat Moldova which was the cheapest country I have visited.....

Took £50 out when arrived thinking it would do the first night..... Still had £20 of it two days later when I left.... And that was not for the want of trying to get rid of it during that time.

Bottles of wine, beers, champaign etc.... Went to a restaurant with mates, had the works... Beers, bottles of red wine each, steak the size of the cows leg etc.... Glenn asked for the bill and had a look of shock on his face (we thought "oh no, this will be expensive"....) calls over the waitress and says "no, Bill for the whole table not just me"... She replies "that is the whole table" as it came to something like £5 each.

Tried to get rid of what I had left in the shop at the bus station and no matter how much stuff I would buy, just would not make a dent.... Got to Ukraine thinking I could exchange it at the first town over the border.... Guy chucked it back in my face saying it's just cheap toilet paper LOL

I was there last time we played, I'm sure our digs were around 15 quid a night, that was for a double room in a 3 star hotel

With regards to prices for eating/drinking out, it was cheap back then, depending on where you go of course, we spent a lot of time drinking in an Irish bar which of course was more expensive, loads of places round the old part to try, think it was called Shardeni Street, it was good drinking in the local places as it was much cheaper, food was nice and cheap over there as well, get yourself to a traditional Georgian restaurant, superb, it was only on our last day we tried the Georgian wine, we were in some place and the barman gave us a free sample, very nice

I hope to go back this year but cant commit yet

Good stuff....I do like my vino lol. I think the cheapest place I've been was Belarus. If its cheaper than that I'll be impressed!

Get the impression when we visit though that there is one price for the locals an one price for us.

I was in a night club in bratislava, kilt on and went for the advertised vodka costs X. Sold out and wouldn't sell it to me.

Went back the following night and my jeans and gety sold the promotional booze.

Rumours were that Blackpool would double their prices for the Glasgow fair and put them back down again, there after. :-))

That happened in Minsk...... went to the night club, and suddenly all the good local (and Russian) Vodka and beer's were sold out and would have to buy the expensive branded stuff from Western Europe..... yet guy 2 or 3 tills down would be selling local stuff by the Ltr bottle to locals.

That happened in Minsk...... went to the night club, and suddenly all the good local (and Russian) Vodka and beer's were sold out and would have to buy the expensive branded stuff from Western Europe..... yet guy 2 or 3 tills down would be selling local stuff by the Ltr bottle to locals.

In the club Cammy went to ask for beers, woman walked straight to the Carlsberg.

When he said "no, local beers" she buggered off for about 10 minutes :lol:

Same in Skopje the first time round.

No round was ever the same price. Lesson I have learnt is go off the beaten track, locals are generally friendlier and less inclined to rip tourists off.

J

Same in Skopje the first time round.

No round was ever the same price. Lesson I have learnt is go off the beaten track, locals are generally friendlier and less inclined to rip tourists off.

J

Those bars beside the river? Yeah, we got stung by that first time around.

Last time the ripping off did not seem nearly as bad as it was the first time, but we were still checking the receipts and everything at every purchase.