Another Car Keys One - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Another Car Keys One

Since I didn't want to hijack the first,I moved house recently and my central locking never seems to work in my new street. It works absolutely everywhere else I've ever taken it,but I have to point it in the back window at a certain place to lock/unlock it.

What would cause this problem?

It's not a major issue,but it does my tits in and would like to know.

And I only thought I would ask because I'm bored and seen the other thread.

Cheers.

The remote locking system uses radio waves. You just might remember that Flora got his golf clubs stolen (although he doesn't speak about it much)? We suspected at the time that some lowlife might have tampered with his remote radio signal to get into his car. Well, if it's happening all the time to you then this probably isn't your problem but something else might be interfering with the radio signal in your remote switch. Is there a radio mast nearby? Or it might just be something in somebody's house.

The remote locking system uses radio waves. You just might remember that Flora got his golf clubs stolen (although he doesn't speak about it much)? We suspected at the time that some lowlife might have tampered with his remote radio signal to get into his car. Well, if it's happening all the time to you then this probably isn't your problem but something else might be interfering with the radio signal in your remote switch. Is there a radio mast nearby? Or it might just be something in somebody's house.

Quite the expert, Orra, aren't we? Hmmmmmm.......

Thieves are definitely intercepting remote keys and then cloning the key. I cannot mind who told me but they were advised this by the local fuzz after some incident. I think they said they sit nearby and record your key's signature or something like this... New cars are so tight now you'd have to go down that route.

Sounds like something is jamming your signal.

Where was it parked and for how long? No signs of forced entry then if that is what the polis are saying?

Thinking about it I was told this years ago now so knows what mad kit the thievish ones have now.

Is it still a key ignition? That would explain why they never nicked the car I suppose, only able to open the doors and turn off the alarm with the electronic key...

Edited by thplinth

Where was it parked and for how long? No signs of forced entry then if that is what the polis are saying?

Thinking about it I was told this years ago now so knows what mad kit the thievish ones have now.

Overnight. Aye, the first thing the polis asked was if there was any forcible entry. I thought, as there wasn't, he would do me for insurance fraud or something, but he said it was the norm.

He then went onto say the thieving bastards have some elaborate kit aimed at new motors (specifically BMW's and Peugeot's). The polis have contacted both companies, but they have denied any mal-practice. As he said, they wouldn't, as folk would be suing them left-right and centre. Plus, very difficult to prove.

Edit to say - parked in residential terraced street in South-west Glasgow.

Edited by Flora MaDonald

Thieves are definitely intercepting remote keys and then cloning the key. I cannot mind who told me but they were advised this by the local fuzz after some incident. I think they said they sit nearby and record your key's signature or something like this... New cars are so tight now you'd have to go down that route.

Sounds like something is jamming your signal.

I'm sure that is possible, but the scam I was talking about was much less sophisticated than that. They simply block the signal between the remote key and the car's central locking system. They rely on lazy drivers not checking that the car has actually locked by checking flashing indicators, or whatever system fancy hairdressers cars have these days.

No fancy, high tech equipment required. Just something which is freely available in any DIY store.