Kirkcaldy East By-Election - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Kirkcaldy East By-Election

Not sure it's worth crowing about as it's a council by election. Only 27.7% turnout but looks good with 47% SNP (1400 ish votes) in Gordon Brown's patch.

The best bit is the swing labour down 12% SNP up 16% (rounding). Hoping this seeing gets replicated come may

Not sure it's worth crowing about as it's a council by election. Only 27.7% turnout but looks good with 47% SNP (1400 ish votes) in Gordon Brown's patch.

The best bit is the swing labour down 12% SNP up 16% (rounding). Hoping this seeing gets replicated come may

Look at the circumstances.

The SNP councillor who quit was elected 3rd (after two Lab councillors).

He resigned due to some kind of dodgy issues - as I understand he was actually living in Austria.

This should have been a gift for Labour.

Another way to put it...

John West @John_A_West · 3h 3 hours ago

Kirkcaldy East: 631 less votes cast than 2012. Labour down 768 votes. SNP up 108 votes.

The previous snp councillor got a job in Austria and moved there.There was a big stink up and front page news in the local unionist rag which usually has a picture of gordon brown opening a shop or handing some poor sod a tin of beans at a foodbank.On every page.

He was collecting his wage for basically doing nothing so you would think there would have been a big swing to labour.

The upshot is we have a great new councillor in Marie Penman who ran the yes team here in Kirkcaldy during the referendum.

Edited by The Laud

Quite stunning victory for the SNP there given all the circumstances.

I think it has the Katy Clark fanclub worried that she might even be unemployed soon :wink2:

- Scunnered will explode with rage

- Cove sheep will explode with orgasm

Ach I won't. This vote was always going to be tough for Katy after her parties shenanigans over the last couple of years. If she isn't returned I'll take no joy at losing a progressive for an SNP... But what can you do, Tis democracy.

Can someone work out what will happen if this kind of percentage swing is replicated in May...

Nationally - you'd end up with:

• SNP - 30.8%
  • LAB - 27.3%
  • CON - 17.9%
  • LIB - 17.4%

The Liberal Democrats hadn't gone into coalition when the last election was held...

Locally (Kirkcaldy & Cowdenbeath) - you'd end up with:

• LAB - 49.8%
  • SNP - 25.2%
  • CON - 10.2%
  • LIB - 7.8%

Same comment about the Lib Dems, also Labour's candidate was Gordon Brown in 2010...

The SNP won the Kirkcaldy seat in the 2011 Scottish election with 45.2% of the vote, and narrowly lost the Cowdenbeath seat with 41.6% of the vote.

I'd expect a close race between the SNP and Labour here.