Pay What You Can...£? - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Pay What You Can...£?

Now this initiative has reached the premiership (ICT). What are everyone's thoughts about this as a way of getting extra numbers through the turnstiles?

Seems like a decent tactic and seemed to work pretty well for Albion Rovers earlier in the season. Also good that St Johnstone fans are being offered the same deal, this would always have been a pretty grim arttendance, more so at this time of year.

Does this have a future longterm?

I doubt this game will be full.

Safe to assume! It's difficult to transfer a figure from the % increase that Albion Rovers made to a premiership game, but i would hazard a guess at an extra 500 or so? Maybe an attendance of 3K?

I hope it is a success it does nobody any good seeing practically empty stadiums, and if it can get even a few of the next generation interested in supporting their local team then it's all good in my book. At least they won't have the spectre of the merger hanging over them, they can just go and support the club.

Safe to assume! It's difficult to transfer a figure from the % increase that Albion Rovers made to a premiership game, but i would hazard a guess at an extra 500 or so? Maybe an attendance of 3K?

I hope it is a success it does nobody any good seeing practically empty stadiums, and if it can get even a few of the next generation interested in supporting their local team then it's all good in my book. At least they won't have the spectre of the merger hanging over them, they can just go and support the club

Given it's essentially free if folk want it, it would be an utter embarrassment for them not to get a home sellout.

Given it's essentially free if folk want it, it would be an utter embarrassment for them not to get a home sellout.

It won't be.

There is a major issue up here with a lack of interest in the local club. Some of it can still be put down to the merger effect for people of my age group. But a bigger problem is a really pathetic PR job by the club in selling it as a "must do" on a Saturday.

That is why i am delighted that they have introduced this as a positive step to try to get the gates up. Doing it as a one off would be a total waste of time, this has to be a concerted effort along with the team continuing their decent form to get a longterm benefit.

They should be applauded for trying this rather than slagged off for not having a lock out! That is a typically Scottish football fan response!

Not a chance of a home sell out. The game is on a Tuesday night in mid January. You will never get 5,500 home fans at it.

I don't think even celtic would fill Parkhead for a midweek game in winter even if it was free entry.

• 2 weeks later...

Game is tonight. Have a feeling it will make no difference in attendance at all. If it had been on a Saturday then you would see a massive difference but probably not for a Wednesday night in January. Temperatures were -13 in Inverness yesterday so how appealing is it to go out in freezing coniditions to watch a game at night.

Also it is a game where St. Johnstone would have taken about 50 fans max and cheap entry will make no difference in travelling in dodgy conditions.

I do know a couple of St. Johnstone fans who are going who are taking the piss a bit with the offer. They say they are going to pay 1p. All that will do is lead to this offer not happening again, espcially if all away fans exploite the offer.

Will be interesting to compare the crowd tonight to what Hamilton have on Saturday too.

I don't think it's really comparable. A game on a Saturday would get far more fans home and away. I'd imagine we would get 5,000 for this type of game on a Saturday. I imagine 3,500 max tonight.