Beatles - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am old enough to remember the 60's. Nobody, absolutely nobody, who was seriously into music would have admitted that they liked the Beatles. They were no more than the most over hyped band of the decade. No better than ABBA, U2 or Take That.

Edited by Orraloon

I am old enough to remember the 60's. Nobody, absolutely nobody, who was seriously into music would have admitted that they liked the Beatles. They were no more than the most over hyped band of the decade. No better than ABBA, U2 or Take That.

I'm no fan of U2 but surely they don't deserve to be lumped in with Take That?!

What were serious music fans into in the 60s? Jazz, folk, blues?

The Beatles clearly appealed to a teen girl audience in the early days but by their mid period the music was sophisticated enough to appeal to all ages and endure for decades.

One criticism is that they tended to jump on the latest bandwagon, but they made a very good job of it each time...

What were serious music fans into in the 60s? Jazz, folk, blues?

The Beatles clearly appealed to a teen girl audience in the early days but by their mid period the music was sophisticated enough to appeal to all ages and endure for decades.

One criticism is that they tended to jump on the latest bandwagon, but they made a very good job of it each time...

Plus they started the odd bandwagon themselves - artificial double-tracking was invented for Revolver and so effectively created the sound of psychedelia. The number of 'serious' artists who covered Beatles tracks either live or on vinyl in the '60s suggests that they had a weird way of refusing to admit they liked the group.

I'm no fan of Take That but surely they don't deserve to be lumped in with U2?

• 2 weeks later...

Never liked the Beatles and can't say I rate them musically (ordinary at best IMO). While you can't argue with the impact the had on music I'd question whether they'd have had such an impact in another era. To me they were to the '60s what 1D are to now, only 1D exist in a more congested 'musical' environment.

Never liked the Beatles and can't say I rate them musically (ordinary at best IMO). While you can't argue with the impact the had on music I'd question whether they'd have had such an impact in another era. To me they were to the '60s what 1D are to now, only 1D exist in a more congested 'musical' environment.

It's your lucky night, Khana - your heroes are mimi...singing at the State Broadcaster's bash on live the now.

It's your lucky night, Khana - your heroes are mimi...singing at the State Broadcaster's bash on live the now.

Ha! Don't I effing know it :-)) When you have three girls between 6 and 13 you always know when 1D are on the telly. Can hear it even in my man cave at the other end of the hoose.

The weans have 1D on the now too.

Have to say I'm not getting the Beatles comparison: it's bland derivative pop pap for mass consumption. More reminiscent of the Osmonds...

To clarify - I'm not comparing the Beatles to 1D musically :-)) My point was that the Beatles were arguably the band of their day, as are 1D (regardless of their musical or songwriting ability, or otherwise). Both bands are products of their time and as such my point was really about whether the Beatles would have had such a musical/songwriting impact in today's music age when there is so much more music genres available.

Mind you, they probably were the prototype boy band and given young girls just want to scream and dream they'd probably be very successful regardless of musical impact.

my point was really about whether the Beatles would have had such a musical/songwriting impact in today's music age when there is so much more music genres available.

An interesting point too. I've heard it stated the Beatles actually destroyed some popular musical genres in their early days by turning so many youngsters on to one type of music.

On the other hand the Beatles went on to help create numerous strands of pop music that have continued through the decades...