Fancy A Week In Ireland? - Page 2 - Republic of Ireland v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Fancy A Week In Ireland?

Get yourself to Galway city mate. Best town in Ireland by a country mile. For me it's the real Ireland. 10 mins drive outside the city and you're in Connemara which has some unreal scenery and largely a Gaelic speaking region.

Agree with this. Galway is a great place with some real good pubs. And Connemara is a must see as well. My Grandfather came from Connemara so have visited there a few times.Great to go to a place where English is the 2nd language. :wink2:

Odd statement, about any country really. It's a holiday. Plenty to see and do in a week.

What I wrote comes across as much more negative than I wanted it to! I spent a long time there so I know it well and I guess this 'oversell' that they do grates a bit. They sell Dublin like its Rome and americans lap it up. Fair enough if it works!

A week is too long in Ireland. If you look at it logically, Ireland doesn't really have much to offer. Doesn't even have decent weather. What they do have though is a sublime tourist board marketing department that somehow manages to elevate the place to mythical status and a people who are so bought into it that they not only believe their own hype but they also actively try to convince other people. Sure, there are nice spots there but let's be honest, once you've seen one pretty Irish town, you've seen them all. And in each of those towns you'll get the same style of pub selling the same beer and the same food. And you'll go see the same church and maybe see a couple of old samish stones. It's a cracking place to go for a weekend but a week is too long.

Very odd statement. Dublin, Galway, Kerry and Cork are all totally different.

To the trained eye yeah. To the outsider they're all the same. Most english speaking tourists can't even see the difference between a Dublin and a Cork accent.

Well that's not true, I come from dublin and work with a few foreigners and there are some cork and Tipperary people working with us and they say that I am easy to understand but they are on a different planet altogether.

To say we all sound the same is absolute nonsense.

Well that's not true, I come from dublin and work with a few foreigners and there are some cork and Tipperary people working with us and they say that I am easy to understand but they are on a different planet altogether.

To say we all sound the same is absolute nonsense.

Exactly.

Listen to someone from Cork and someone from Donegal and tell me they sound the same.

Bollox.

It's just completely untrue and your example used proves it but sure some people are just ignorant I guess.

To the untrained ear they just sound irish. Tourists have untrained ears. Americans can't even tell the difference between Scottish and Irish. When I first moved to Ireland I remember I couldn't tell the difference between Kerry guy and a Dub.

• 3 weeks later...

I found a week too short once when I was hitch-hiking through Ireland and stopped at a small town called Killala. There was ten pubs on the high street, American tourist lassies looking for the authentic Irish experience, and sports in the farmers fields. I didn't want to leave, and that was one Co. Mayo village.

Ireland is great if you like pubs, music, sport, conversation and people. I like all of those things except the last one, but the porter helps with that. if you have to be around other people then an Irish boozer is a better place than any to do so.

I will be leaving Glasgow on my bicycle on the Wed morning and camping on the shores of Lough Neagh that night. Cycling to Monasterboice and camping there on Thursday night. In to Dublin the next day for a couple of nights in the aforementioned boozers before turning round on Sunday after the match and repeating the trip in reverse. Anyone want to join the TA: Cycle Division, let me know.

I found a week too short once when I was hitch-hiking through Ireland and stopped at a small town called Killala. There was ten pubs on the high street, American tourist lassies looking for the authentic Irish experience, and sports in the farmers fields. I didn't want to leave, and that was one Co. Mayo village.

Ireland is great if you like pubs, music, sport, conversation and people. I like all of those things except the last one, but the porter helps with that. if you have to be around other people then an Irish boozer is a better place than any to do so.

I will be leaving Glasgow on my bicycle on the Wed morning and camping on the shores of Lough Neagh that night. Cycling to Monasterboice and camping there on Thursday night. In to Dublin the next day for a couple of nights in the aforementioned boozers before turning round on Sunday after the match and repeating the trip in reverse. Anyone want to join the TA: Cycle Division, let me know.

What I wrote comes across as much more negative than I wanted it to! I spent a long time there so I know it well and I guess this 'oversell' that they do grates a bit. They sell Dublin like its Rome and americans lap it up. Fair enough if it works!

Funniest comment ive read on here in awhile.....please tell as to how our tourist marketing dept sell Dublin like its......ROME???? :um-no::wtf::wtf: