Learning Guitar - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Verse:-

Am E G D F C Dm E

Chorus:-

F C E Am F C Dm E

4 beats to the bar, capo on 2nd fret if you want to be in pitch

Easier said than done EK

Anytime I have tried to learn / practice on accoustic / electric, I look down and see twenty strings, not six (HELP :guitar: )

3 x 20 minutes a day is also better than 1 x 1 hour per day. Takes time to build up strength and callouses. Don't overdo it be patient you should always be enjoying it or take a break.

It does lead to serial guitar buying but. I own three now and I'm pish!

Practice is everything, try to pick up your guitar at least once a day even if it's just for ten minutes.

I know mate. . . .just have never sat down long enough, always other things to do, would love to learn & play the basics, probably too old now to do that at 49.

Learning electric guitar at the moment Any good websites /you tube channels Tamb can recommend ?

Good advice others have given re learning on acoustic.

However - you've got an electric and it is possible to learn a lot on an electric.

You tube is brilliant. Just type into search box "electric guitar tutorial" - that should find you some stuff to practice.

What tunes to learn - depends on what you like - but the simpler the better. Loads of guitar riffs using barre chords etc.

You can do a lot just using 5th and 6th strings - metal, 12 bar blues etc

I found I was hitting strings I didn't want to when trying to play notes.

So my tip is do as I did, and remove the strings you don't use.

If there is one string you particularly like though, double it up so there are two of them for a fatter sound.

Also, there is no law saying you have to tune your guitar E A D G B E, tune it how you like.

My other tip is learn bass guitar. It has fewer strings and they are wider apart, which is obviously a good thing.

Alternatively you could always learn to play it properly. Depends on the kind of music you want to play.

If you only want to play repetitive punk songs you've written about people having microchips injected into their nervous systems and barcodes on their arms, then my tips will see you alright.

I found I was hitting strings I didn't want to when trying to play notes.

So my tip is do as I did, and remove the strings you don't use.

If there is one string you particularly like though, double it up so there are two of them for a fatter sound.

Also, there is no law saying you have to tune your guitar E A D G B E, tune it how you like.

My other tip is learn bass guitar. It has fewer strings and they are wider apart, which is obviously a good thing.

Electrical guitar strings are generally set closer than steel string acoustics - this makes it more probable that you'll hit the wrong string - it also makes it difficult to finger pick an electric guitar. Classical guitars usually have the strings set further apart and they also have a longer scale - this makes a standard classical guitar very difficult for those with smallish hands but much less likely that you'll hit two strings instead of one.

String size may be an issue for you. Currently I prefer a thinner string (e.g. Light, Custom Light) but not sure if others would say it is easier for a beginner or just a taste thing.

Also you will be better off using a thin more bendy pick when you start out. But I would encourage you to try without a pick as soon as possible as well.

Being comfortable also helps - unless you are performing you don't need a big body acoustic - pick something you find wieldy something comfortable to sit on the couch with.

Practice slow to get fast.

3 x 20 minutes a day is also better than 1 x 1 hour per day. Takes time to build up strength and callouses. Don't overdo it be patient you should always be enjoying it or take a break.

It does lead to serial guitar buying but. I own three now and I'm pish!

Tell me about it - I've got 9 now (8 bought whilst pished).

Try ultimateguitar.com for tabs.

Search for a song you like (more likely to stick at it if you actually like it), and if the difficulty level is set at novice then give it a bash and watch a youtube video lesson (most songs will be on there) of it being played.

I learned by playing easy basslines on an electric, then moving onto power chords, and then standard chords. And if you've got a mate who plays, ask them to show you the basics.

As others have said, you need to persevere and pick it up every day.

Some good advice, esp starting slow to play fast. Basically do what you want in slow motion and within a couple if days you'll be moving between chords at speed.

Start with G, C and D. There are thiusands of songs you can play with just those three chords. Then add in Em and A7). Then A and E. Finally B and F. Then you can add in the greatest chord of them all - G7.

Creedence are great for the three chord stuff. Dylan's stuff is usually quite complicated, but someone online will have broken them down to three or four chords.

Edited by Stapes

And when it comes time to learn the tricky F chord, learn the barre chord F (if that is the right description) and don't waste time on the other ones.

It looks daunting but actually is easier to master, sounds better, and gets you started on doing barre chords.

What I find great is that when you play it yourself you discover every tune has its own integrity. Even if you are playing a Britney Spears tune (not that I ever would... nooooo) it does not matter when it is reduced to a few chords on a guitar. You realize then if a tune sounds naff it is the artist who has added that naffness, a tune is just a tune.

The whole experience has also added a much richer appreciation of music I listen to, a confidence even.

Plus you can be stressed out, pick your guitar and 20 minutes later put it down in a completely different frame of mind. It is great thing even if no one but you will ever hear you play.