Learning Guitar - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Ahhh they are beautiful things, like a piece of art almost. Which is why they are so collectible. I could develop a bad guitar buying habit...

edit: In fact better than a piece of art as they have both craft and function.

Edited by thplinth

thanks for all the tips etc so far.
I'm taking lessons, so hoping to use these websites etc as extra practice.

Buy a half decent guitar even if it is your first one. It is all about the sound even when you are starting. Get a good entry level one one and it will encourage you more than anything.

I bought an Epiphone les Paul standard pro in scotland blue of course...ok for beginners ?

10603853_10152901794805739_6923487468211

I bought an Epiphone les Paul standard pro in scotland blue of course...ok for beginners ?

Oh aye I would think so... but I have not allowed myself to buy an electric guitar yet so I was talking more for an acoustic ones.

I was told it is easier to form chords on an electric versus acoustic guitar and thus if you learn on an electric you will struggle to transition into playing an acoustic whereas it works the opposite if you learn on an acoustic (which is less forgiving).

Oh aye I would think so... but I have not allowed myself to buy an electric guitar yet so I was talking more for an acoustic ones.

I was told it is easier to form chords on an electric versus acoustic guitar and thus if you learn on an electric you will struggle to transition into playing an acoustic whereas it works the opposite if you learn on an acoustic (which is less forgiving).

It's not just the fact that it's easier to form chords, the sound is completely different too and as a beginner you really should start by learning to strum chords and learn time but that sounds awful on an electric guitar while a decent acoustic with a rich tone will make even a beginner sound good and that's where the encouragement comes from.

Lovely guitar.

I think you can tap the pups by pulling out the two controls nearest the neck. This changes the coils to single and gives you a thinner tone and makes the guitar more versatile. :guitar:

I had one of those, different colour though. Ridiculously heavy though, I managed to snap a couple of guitar straps with it.

It's not just the fact that it's easier to form chords, the sound is completely different too and as a beginner you really should start by learning to strum chords and learn time but that sounds awful on an electric guitar while a decent acoustic with a rich tone will make even a beginner sound good and that's where the encouragement comes from.

Good point.

Gaz you need to buy another guitar, an acoustic. You really do, don't fight it....

I started on a Seagull but I have heard you won't go far wrong with a Yamaha as a starter. But get a half decent one as EK Celt is correct, a good quality sound is the best encouragement.

I learned on an electric and can't remember struggling when I made the transition to acoustic, and I'm no maestro. Might be a slight adjustment but I wouldn't imagine it being a big problem. Wouldn't do any harm to pick up an acoustic though and learn on both.

I still cannae play a steel string guitar cos the necks too narrow after I learned on a nylon string acoustic.

I didn't really learn chords - more just scales and then picked up more and more on my way.

I've got a classical electro acoustic now which sounds good unplugged but it's better when I put it through reverb and a delay pedals.

Well, here is another tip.

I have had this very lovely sounding but quite hard to play new guitar for about 6 months and recently I finally worked out that the 'action' was too high. (apparently quite a common problem with factory shipped guitars). 'Action' is the gap between the strings and the (14th) fret board I understand.

So I took the guitar to a 'luthier' today, 25 mins later he was done. He said he lowered the strings by 1mm (or "maybe less"). I took it home played about with it and I swear it is like it is a new instrument. The difference is (not amazing) pleasing.

Edited by thplinth

Phuqqing hell, Plinthy are you Eric Clapton ?

I am pure pish Flora. (This is why having three guitars is lunacy.) Compulsive (possibly drunken) guitar buying as it was on sale (any feckin excuse) and then gradually noticing it was harder to play than my orginal guitar. Finally noticed the strings were sitting higher, which led to a bit of internet rummaging where I found out this is quite a common problem. What a difference one mllimeter makes. (Not sure what went wrong with my post above becasue it is amazing.)

Where did you go and, more importantly, how much did it cost you?

I have a contact locally who does it but any guitar shop with a service department should be able to do it. He chraged a fiver which was ridculous so I gave him a tenner. A shop might try and screw you a bit but really it is not a big job. 30mins max.

edit: considered doing it myself using this method.

http://www.stuartbriggs.co.uk/how-to-lower-the-action-on-acoustic-guitar/

Edited by thplinth

wow - he recommends going electric on your first guitar - and then not buying an amp for a good while.

For the very reason it is easier to learn on.

edit: this has convinced me I need to buy another guitar, electric this time, be stupid not to really.

Edited by thplinth