Some general info about Cologne - Page 2 - Scotland v Switzerland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Some general info about Cologne

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Reidster78 said:

Nice one @TA-West Germany!

We're booked into a hotel for 2 weeks in cologne, booked before the draw and it's worked out well! 

A holiday inn express koln mulheim, somewhere to sleep is all that's needed! 

Mülheim very central. Good choice. You will be everywhere very very fast from there.

15 hours ago, TA-West Germany said:

You're better getting to Hermülheim by bus and then take train no 18 to city centre (Neumarkt). I think that will be easier than going all the way by 978. Gleuel is a bit off as no direct trains from there but once you hit train no 18 you are good to get to centre fast.

15 hours ago, TA-West Germany said:

You're better getting to Hermülheim by bus and then take train no 18 to city centre (Neumarkt). I think that will be easier than going all the way by 978. Gleuel is a bit off as no direct trains from there but once you hit train no 18 you are good to get to centre fast.

Thanks , i'll look into that 👍

16 hours ago, TA-West Germany said:

Hi again , can only see a tram 18 is that the one ? Also what is the uber/taxi  situation in Cologne centre versus from Hermulheim if we're a bit late getting back ? 🍻

I was in Cologne about 15 years ago on the way to Nature One techno festival near Koblenz, really enjoyed Cologne, stayed near Barbarossaplatz back then, was nice, this time staying in Ruby Ella Hotel at Hohenzollernring, Neustadt Nord, seems to be plenty of bars close by 🍻

28 minutes ago, SY Cove said:

I was in Cologne about 15 years ago on the way to Nature One techno festival near Koblenz, really enjoyed Cologne, stayed near Barbarossaplatz back then, was nice, this time staying in Ruby Ella Hotel at Hohenzollernring, Neustadt Nord, seems to be plenty of bars close by 🍻

Good old nature one 😎 Hohenzollernring perfect for all the action 

On 12/19/2023 at 1:56 PM, Tartan granite said:

I booked ICE from Frankfurt to Düsseldorf today (just day tripping to Cologne for the game). Do we get allocated a seat for the journey on ICE or is it just a case of piling on to the carriages and standing like in the UK?

Seat reservations have a cost on top of the price for the ticket itself. Can be done when making the booking, but also separately.  

5 hours ago, SteveMcD said:

Seat reservations have a cost on top of the price for the ticket itself. Can be done when making the booking, but also separately.  

Thanks very much, I’ll maybe look into reserving a seat in more depth later. I had a quick look on the db app and i can’t see an option to add that retrospectively. Not a big issue if I can’t figure it out as it’s just 90 minutes 

On 12/19/2023 at 12:56 PM, Tartan granite said:

Do we get allocated a seat for the journey on ICE or is it just a case of piling on to the carriages and standing like in the UK?

On 12/19/2023 at 1:15 PM, Rich NATA said:

Have you received an email with an attachment? The ticket.

It should say sitzplatz followed by WG number, which I presume to mean wagon number i.e. carriage number.

Then PL number, which I presume to be place (seat) number.

On my ticket, all of this is located on the right hand side; half way down.

Of course, you can always set up camp in the buffet car 🍺🍺🍺

Following on from the above, I have now booked my second train (Munich to Koln) but my ticket does NOT show a carriage or seat number.

Both booked with DB... My first train ticket does, but my second train ticket does not.

I've fired off an email to DB and will let you know what they come back with.

46 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

Following on from the above, I have now booked my second train (Munich to Koln) but my ticket does NOT show a carriage or seat number.

Both booked with DB... My first train ticket does, but my second train ticket does not.

I've fired off an email to DB and will let you know what they come back with.

Then you simply did not book with seat reservation eh?

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/21/2023 at 2:54 PM, Rich NATA said:

Neglected to reserve a seat at time of booking??

Add it here >>>

https://int.bahn.de/en/offers/seat-reservation/seat-reservation-long-distance-services

Cheers for sharing this. I had booked munich to cologne train and cologne to stuttgart train but only the second one had a seat reserved. Added now. 

On 12/19/2023 at 1:33 PM, Ally Bongo said:

Anyone asked where the gas cookers are ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascha_(brothel)

Right on the aptly named Hornstrabe.

Hi @TA-West Germany you’re advice is much appreciated. Top guy!

Looking for somewhere to stay for a couple of nights between Munich and cologne. Preferably not a host city due to the price. The nicest gaff I’ve seen is in Koblenz. Is it any good? Also been looking at Mannheim, Mainz and Bonn.

18 minutes ago, mwng said:

Looking for somewhere to stay for a couple of nights between Munich and cologne. Preferably not a host city due to the price. The nicest gaff I’ve seen is in Koblenz. Is it any good? Also been looking at Mannheim, Mainz and Bonn.

6 of us based in Koblenz for 15 nights, me and Marky who posts on here occasionally done a little recce there 4 months ago, great town, plenty bars and restaurants as well as a great location right on the Rhine.

1 hour ago, Jersey Jim said:

6 of us based in Koblenz for 15 nights, me and Marky who posts on here occasionally done a little recce there 4 months ago, great town, plenty bars and restaurants as well as a great location right on the Rhine.

Thanks for the reply. We’ve had to pay a small fortune for basic hotels in Munich and Cologne, so looking for some decent digs to chill and recharge our batteries for a couple of days. Koblenz sounds perfect.👍

2 hours ago, mwng said:

Nürnberg, Bamberg, Bayreuth, Rothenburg a.d. Tauber. Koblenz nice but almost in Cologne and guess booked more frequently due to distance to Cologne. 

31 minutes ago, TA-West Germany said:

Nürnberg, Bamberg, Bayreuth, Rothenburg a.d. Tauber. Koblenz nice but almost in Cologne and guess booked more frequently due to distance to Cologne. 

Cheers👍. I’ll have a wee look.

• 1 month later...
32 minutes ago, AlbaDeano said:

Hi Guys, theirs 5 of us, 3 adults and two laddies heading 13th to 21st staying in Liro Munchengladbach,flying into Dusseldorf 

Any travel tips would be great 

• 3 weeks later...