Cologne F.C. Tartan Army West Germany may… - Page 3 - Scotland v Switzerland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Cologne F.C. Tartan Army West Germany may…

Hi David. My pal and I are coming to Cologne for the game. Just wanted to thank you for all the posts and information - realise you don't need to be doing this but it is hugely helpful. Maybe let this group know where you'll be and your favourite pub as I'm sure quite a few on here will be buying you a beer.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, TA-West Germany said:

Very easy. ICE will bring you from Frankfurt airport station straight to Cologne central or Cologne Deutz. Both Braunsfeld and Ehrenfeld are nice neighbourhoods. Close to city centre. Braunsfeld quite close to stadium 

@TA-West Germany

Brilliant, much appreciated. Booked hotel, buzzing and looking forward to it

9 hours ago, WeeJohnny said:

Hi David. My pal and I are coming to Cologne for the game. Just wanted to thank you for all the posts and information - realise you don't need to be doing this but it is hugely helpful. Maybe let this group know where you'll be and your favourite pub as I'm sure quite a few on here will be buying you a beer.

Ah, no worries mate. Just really happy to help. I don’t want to share too much now, but am thinking about organising one or two Partys around game. 😎

one of my best friends is running a night club so should be easy to sort sth out.

more to come in the new year though. First everyone should sort out accommodation and travel details 

Hi David, really helpful info! A little of piste, but you may be able to help. I'm flying to Frankfurt on the 14th, get in around 1105, then looking to get ICE train to Munich. I was thinking 1hr 30 would be sensible amount of time to get from airport to train station (I believe it is actually adjacent to the airport). Have you any knowledge on this?

1 hour ago, Saint Steve said:

Hi David, really helpful info! A little of piste, but you may be able to help. I'm flying to Frankfurt on the 14th, get in around 1105, then looking to get ICE train to Munich. I was thinking 1hr 30 would be sensible amount of time to get from airport to train station (I believe it is actually adjacent to the airport). Have you any knowledge on this?

I do. Flown to and from Frankfurt many times. From terminal one to train station it’s very close. Like 10 minute walk. ICE from there goes straight to Munich so if your flight’s on time very smooth. ICE from Frankfurt airport to Munich central should be about +- 3.5 hours

Hi David. My pal and I have been following Scotland together for 40 years so really going for it this trip budget wise as who knows how many finals we will get to see (gawd that sounds morose). We've got nice ish hotels booked in munich, Leipzig, Stuttgart and Nuremberg for the trip but big Mike (the pal) has us booked in to the urban loft in Cologne. It's no cheap (£817 for the two of us for three nights without breakfast) but is cancellable. When I've looked at it it looks a bit like an ibis / travel lodge level hotel. Any thoughts as it's kinda in our budget but elsewhere we've got nice looking hotels with a pool or the like. But there doesn't appear that much in Cologne. Would Bonn be a better shout or is that likely to be too quiet ? We like late ones. 

14 hours ago, TA-West Germany said:

Ah, no worries mate. Just really happy to help. I don’t want to share too much now, but am thinking about organising one or two Partys around game. 😎

one of my best friends is running a night club so should be easy to sort sth out.

more to come in the new year though. First everyone should sort out accommodation and travel details 

Sign me up for the party pal

14 hours ago, TA-West Germany said:

+2 more for that please - sounds superb.

We're staying in Cologne for the group stage (Nr Media Park). Arriving 13th. We have tickets to all 3 games plus Spain v Croatia on the 15th. What's the best option for two traveling to and from Munich, Berlin and Stuttgart. I think we'll be living on the trains Friday and Saturday 😬

Been to Berlin for a city break 5 year ago and loved it!

59 minutes ago, WeeJohnny said:

Hi David. My pal and I have been following Scotland together for 40 years so really going for it this trip budget wise as who knows how many finals we will get to see (gawd that sounds morose). We've got nice ish hotels booked in munich, Leipzig, Stuttgart and Nuremberg for the trip but big Mike (the pal) has us booked in to the urban loft in Cologne. It's no cheap (£817 for the two of us for three nights without breakfast) but is cancellable. When I've looked at it it looks a bit like an ibis / travel lodge level hotel. Any thoughts as it's kinda in our budget but elsewhere we've got nice looking hotels with a pool or the like. But there doesn't appear that much in Cologne. Would Bonn be a better shout or is that likely to be too quiet ? We like late ones. 

I checked urban loft‘s location. Very close to main central station on Eigelstein. Also there’s a few pubs on Eigelstein. You are also in walkable distance to old town. Price seems a bit high though for 3 nights. But I guess most hotels will now take more money as they realise people will travel like crazy. You could stay in Bonn. It’s about 30 minutes by RE/RB to Cologne but Bonn is a nice little city and rich of history, loads to do there. Regular trains several times hourly from there to Köln mate. Urban loft looks like a travel lodge hotel yeah. For late ones the good place though 

18 minutes ago, D4v1eC said:

We're staying in Cologne for the group stage (Nr Media Park). Arriving 13th. We have tickets to all 3 games plus Spain v Croatia on the 15th. What's the best option for two traveling to and from Munich, Berlin and Stuttgart. I think we'll be living on the trains Friday and Saturday 😬

As said a lot ICE trains will be your home as much as hotels mate. Direct ICE trains going to all your destinations. Media park is in fair walking distance to main railway station. Max 20 minutes. Big cinema is in media park so few restaurants but not many pubs 

8 minutes ago, TA-West Germany said:

As said a lot ICE trains will be your home as much as hotels mate. Direct ICE trains going to all your destinations. Media park is in fair walking distance to main railway station. Max 20 minutes. Big cinema is in media park so few restaurants but not many pubs 

Thanks @TA-West Germany

11 hours ago, TA-West Germany said:

I checked urban loft‘s location. Very close to main central station on Eigelstein. Also there’s a few pubs on Eigelstein. You are also in walkable distance to old town. Price seems a bit high though for 3 nights. But I guess most hotels will now take more money as they realise people will travel like crazy. You could stay in Bonn. It’s about 30 minutes by RE/RB to Cologne but Bonn is a nice little city and rich of history, loads to do there. Regular trains several times hourly from there to Köln mate. Urban loft looks like a travel lodge hotel yeah. For late ones the good place though 

Thanks David. 

On 12/3/2023 at 7:20 PM, TA-West Germany said:

…be able to help with questions around our group game here in CGN.

I will share more stuff within next few days.

Just post your early on questions here an I will gladly try to answer.

Cheers,

David

Hi David, don’t suppose you know if Cologne is in the catchment area for the free match travel to/from Gelsenkirchen?  (planning to go up for Spain-Italy the day after our game). 

1 minute ago, AlfieMoon said:

Hi David, don’t suppose you know if Cologne is in the catchment area for the free match travel to/from Gelsenkirchen?  (planning to go up for Spain-Italy the day after our game). 

It's two different networks. Cologne Area is VRS and Gelsenkrichen is VRR. I do not know how strict they will handle that but would say you should be fine if you have a match ticket and will be checked on train in the Cologne area.

1 minute ago, TA-West Germany said:

It's two different networks. Cologne Area is VRS and Gelsenkrichen is VRR. I do not know how strict they will handle that but would say you should be fine if you have a match ticket and will be checked on train in the Cologne area.

Thanks mate!  That’s the technical answer I’m looking for! 👍 

We have Interrail pass, but don’t want to consume a day of it if not necessary. Will prob get a Deutschlandticket anyway just to cover us either way. I see that the RE trains from Cologne-Gelsenkirchen take the same time as ICE more or less so easy to sort either way.  

On 12/9/2023 at 10:32 PM, D4v1eC said:

I have my eye on the Spain-Croatia game as well.  Bit of a jaunt the day after the opening but would be good to go to Berlin and the Olympic stadium during the euros. 

7 minutes ago, AlfieMoon said:

Thanks mate!  That’s the technical answer I’m looking for! 👍 

We have Interrail pass, but don’t want to consume a day of it if not necessary. Will prob get a Deutschlandticket anyway just to cover us either way. I see that the RE trains from Cologne-Gelsenkirchen take the same time as ICE more or less so easy to sort either way.  

Yeah, don't use the ICE for going from Cologne to Gelsenkirchen. More expensive and will not bring you a time advantage.

Hi Dave,

There’s a group of us staying in Achen from Mon 17th to Fri 21st for this game.

Do you know much about Aachen and will the train be our best bet for travel to and from Cologne?

cheers

RD

Edited by Rinky Dink

2 hours ago, Rinky Dink said:

Hi Dave,

There’s a group of us staying in Achen from Mon 17th to Fri 21st for this game.

Do you know much about Aachen and will the train be our best bet for travel to and from Cologne?

cheers

RD

I know Aachen kind of well. Good little old town, enough pubs and bars etc. Also a wee bit to see with the Aachen cathedral etc. Train will be your best option - one way with RB/RE is about 50 Mins to 1h depending on how busy the trains are. You will get to CGN really easy on matchday. Going back the same. Worst case take first train and have a good time in old town before going back