Georgian Lari currency - Georgia v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Georgian Lari currency

DesiScotsman

For the life of me, I can’t find any place here in Scotland or even UK in general that you can exchange your pounds for Georgian Lari. Any suggestions? Was thinking Paris airport as I stop off there to get my flight to Tbilisi?

I don’t mind using my card over there as Virgin Money don’t have any transactional fees applied when you do use your card abroad but I do like to take some foreign currency with me whenever I do go travelling outside the UK.

Edited by DesiScotsman

Its 2023, I struggle to understand why money exchange is needed.

When you land at  the airport, go to the ATM, take out money. Easier, cheaper, safer than swapping money.

Tbilisi is a modern city, almost everywhere takes card payments.

As said just go to an ATM however the line at the ATM at Tbilisi arrivals is horrendous and best avoided. Taxi drivers or transfer companies if you've not paid in advance know this and will be fine stopping at an ATM on the way if you say before you get in.

I'm assuming you'll get a taxi or transfer since unless you're on the Wonky Sheep flight pretty much every flight gets in too early for public transport.

On 10/26/2023 at 5:57 PM, DesiScotsman said:

For the life of me, I can’t find any place here in Scotland or even UK in general that you can exchange your pounds for Georgian Lari. Any suggestions? Was thinking Paris airport as I stop off there to get my flight to Tbilisi?

I don’t mind using my card over there as Virgin Money don’t have any transactional fees applied when you do use your card abroad but I do like to take some foreign currency with me whenever I do go travelling outside the UK.

Manor FX sell Lari 

On 10/28/2023 at 6:44 PM, kumnio said:

Spend £108.96 to get 285 Lari, plus £7.50 postage. So effectively £116.46.

Official exchange rate for Lari is 3.277, so you should get 381.

Thats a 25% loss straight away. Thats absolute madness.

It’s not great , but depends how much you want to have some going into the country . Airport exchange rates usually aren’t good either , you’ll not be getting 3.277 anywhere including ATM s . And the foreign bank will often charge for withdrawals , even if your own bank doesn’t . But feel free to come back on and tell us what a great rate you get / find elsewhere online 

3 hours ago, tattiescone69 said:

But feel free to come back on and tell us what a great rate you get / find elsewhere online 

Do you have shares in them or something 😂.

You won't get 3.277, youre correct in that, but it will be about 98% of that, plus a £3ish fee. Which works out significantly better.

Ive been to Georgia 4 times, there are ATMs everywhere, including at least 3 in the arrivals hall, and more in the general concourse.

Almost everywhere takes cards.

If you really need cash...

Take $US or € and change at the hotel, or ask them to point you to a bureau. Should get a better rate than the official one.

Or,get from ATM, most hotels have them. Airport ATMs usually a rip off.

Buy a local SIM at the airport for about €7 as data roaming on UK phones is ridiculous cost.

Was there in April for 4 days and it is as cheap as chips

Edited by GLOSTA
typos

On 10/27/2023 at 6:23 PM, Barry89 said:

As said just go to an ATM however the line at the ATM at Tbilisi arrivals is horrendous and best avoided. Taxi drivers or transfer companies if you've not paid in advance know this and will be fine stopping at an ATM on the way if you say before you get in.

I'm assuming you'll get a taxi or transfer since unless you're on the Wonky Sheep flight pretty much every flight gets in too early for public transport.

Navigating the ATM situation at Tbilisi arrivals can be a hassle due to long lines. It's often best to avoid it. Taxi drivers and transfer companies are aware of this issue and are usually willing to stop at an ATM if you haven't prepaid.

• 2 weeks later...