Any Questions For Your Trip To Dublin? - Page 24 - Republic of Ireland v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Any Questions For Your Trip To Dublin?

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are not arriving until lunchtime on the Saturday so by time we get in from airport and checked into hotel it will likely to be about 1.30ish. My thoughts was just to jump a taxi and head up to a bar near the ground. From looking on Google maps there seems to be about 4 roundabout the Bath Avenue area on the way to the away end.

Slatterys

The Chop House (looks like a restaurant but I am sure I had a couple of pints outside it on the night of the Ireland Aviva Cup game before heading back into town)

The Old Spot

The Bath Pub

How busy do they get on match day? Any of the above recommended/not recommended? Or anything else roundabout that area recommended? Just looking for something for a couple of hours drinking, get served well enough and a short walk to ground.

We are not arriving until lunchtime on the Saturday so by time we get in from airport and checked into hotel it will likely to be about 1.30ish. My thoughts was just to jump a taxi and head up to a bar near the ground. From looking on Google maps there seems to be about 4 roundabout the Bath Avenue area on the way to the away end.

Slatterys

The Chop House (looks like a restaurant but I am sure I had a couple of pints outside it on the night of the Ireland Aviva Cup game before heading back into town)

The Old Spot

The Bath Pub

How busy do they get on match day? Any of the above recommended/not recommended? Or anything else roundabout that area recommended? Just looking for something for a couple of hours drinking, get served well enough and a short walk to ground.

slatterys and the bath are great boozers, they will probably be jammers though. another shout is to go to the other side of the aviva...paddy cullen's mary mac's the horsehoe tavern etc. all two minutes from the stadium and will probably be slightly quieter as theres more space outside to drink

slatterys and the bath are great boozers, they will probably be jammers though. another shout is to go to the other side of the aviva...paddy cullen's mary mac's the horsehoe tavern etc. all two minutes from the stadium and will probably be slightly quieter as theres more space outside to drink

Thanks very much for the reply Studo. Will have a wee look at the ones you mention on Google. I had thought most places would be busy so the bigger the outdoor space etc the better.

We went to a pub that looked like an old house last time. Not far from ground.quite an old looking place and a few auld locals in it.had a great sing song. Haven't a scooby what it was called though..

Is the 51 Bar still open ? We drank in there at the Carling Cup games & its not too far from the Aviva.

We've gone cheap and are staying in the Citi Hostel by the train station, few questionable reviews on Trip Advisor but we've got a room for 8 of us. As long as the door locks and the showers work we should be fine, not expecting a lot. Any idea if its as much of a hole as some of the reviews make out? Near enough to centre of town?

Is the 51 Bar still open ? We drank in there at the Carling Cup games & its not too far from the Aviva.

It is indeed...lot of great bars on baggott street just round the corner from there, slightly further away from the stadium but might not be quite as busy.

Slatterys

The Old Spot

The Bath Pub

All of the above are great bars before games but will be packed especially for Scotland game as massive crowd expected around that weekend

Slatterys is now the hone of ybig so will be plenty happening around it on the day. Bes a great atmosphere about it and doesn't take that long to get served as usually have 3 or 4 people going around taking orders so you don't have to go in and stand at the bar to be served.

*if all else fails there's a spar shop across the road from it that serves cans. If it good weather go in get a carry out and drink it on the streets

We've gone cheap and are staying in the Citi Hostel by the train station, few questionable reviews on Trip Advisor but we've got a room for 8 of us. As long as the door locks and the showers work we should be fine, not expecting a lot. Any idea if its as much of a hole as some of the reviews make out? Near enough to centre of town?

It's not the best but grand for getting a few hours kip at night fact yous have the room to yourselves makes it even better. It's on gardiner street which is a few minutes walk to oconnell street. Be about 10 minute taxi to harcourt street which is 1 the main places to go for nightlife in Dublin (has good few nightclubs on it)

It's not the best but grand for getting a few hours kip at night fact yous have the room to yourselves makes it even better. It's on gardiner street which is a few minutes walk to oconnell street. Be about 10 minute taxi to harcourt street which is 1 the main places to go for nightlife in Dublin (has good few nightclubs on it)

Thanks mate, much appreciated.

All these will be packed, Beggars Bush is another close to Slatterys. But i have found, the ones I've been in, is that service is very good and you won't be waiting too long for a pint.

All of the above are great bars before games but will be packed especially for Scotland game as massive crowd expected around that weekend

Slatterys is now the hone of ybig so will be plenty happening around it on the day. Bes a great atmosphere about it and doesn't take that long to get served as usually have 3 or 4 people going around taking orders so you don't have to go in and stand at the bar to be served.

*if all else fails there's a spar shop across the road from it that serves cans. If it good weather go in get a carry out and drink it on the streets

Cheers again. Seems enough choice from those mentioned and as long as service is decent as you say then shouldn't be a problem getting a few drinks pre game. Or worst case, Spar :ok:

different areas have different rules, there is no legislation for drinking in public. however you can be fined for drinking in a public place as different authorities have different byelaws, you can also fined if your blootered. last time we were there remember garda taking booze of a lad along the boardwalk at the liffy, if yer unsure dinny do it. :beer2:

Obviously lads the guards will turn a blind eye to you drinking on the street out near the stadium etc but that doesn't mean can crack open a few cans anywhere in the city. Our guards are generally grand on match days and nowhere near as strict as the police were over in Glasgow

Obviously lads the guards will turn a blind eye to you drinking on the street out near the stadium etc but that doesn't mean can crack open a few cans anywhere in the city. Our guards are generally grand on match days and nowhere near as strict as the police were over in Glasgow

You say that, I remember after the 2-1 friendly (we won by the way!) back in May 2000. At chucking out time outside St John's O'Gogarty's pub the band piped up and an improptu caileigh started in the street. Before you knew it, half a dozen Garda polis cars, sirens and blue lights, screached to halt as the polis jumped out their cars ready for action.......

Someone thought there was a riot taking place!!!!! :yikes3: