Norway v Scotland, Glasgow boozers and Elton John - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Norway v Scotland, Glasgow boozers and Elton John

Wanted a catchy title but that was the best I could come up with.

I'm heading to The Hydro on Saturday for the Elton John gig. Obviously want to watch the Scotland game at 1700, before Elton hits the stage at 1930, so says the Hydro website!!

Anyway, Glasweigan friends, any good boozer recommendations for watching the game in? Added bonus points if anyone points us in the direction of somewhere within reasonable walking distance of The Hydro.

Cheers in advance.

The Grove is good but quite small.  Park Bar is just up the road from it with plenty of screens.  Also likely to be busy mind you but much bigger so you should get in.  Another option might be Dockyard Social.  It's a big street food venue and they'll be showing the game on a massive screen.  Both of those latter options are about a 15 minute walk from the Hydro.

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Biggest issue will be making sure the pub has Viaplay on. 

The Villiage Hotel might be a shout, it has huge screens and i was in yesterday for the gym and they had flags etc up so assume showing the game. 

Dockyard Social are definitely showing it as they were advertising themselves as a kinda fanzone.  We were thinking of going but going to my mates in Ayr instead.

https://dockyardsocial.com/collections/all-products/products/saturday-17th-june?variant=44697353617728

17 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Heard Morrie has decided to bin Elton John and is currently getting ratarsed in The Grove

Ha ha. Morrie was indeed enjoying the hospitality of The Grove. I was pretty drunk by the time we left. Of course the excitement of the end of the game probably contributed to that. We did make it to Elton John although we did miss his first song due to his sharp stage time of 1930.

Excellent recommendation re The Grove. Was busy, but not overly so. Just a good atmosphere. Nice variety of drinks and fairly reasonably priced. Cheers.

8 hours ago, morrie21 said:

Ha ha. Morrie was indeed enjoying the hospitality of The Grove. I was pretty drunk by the time we left. Of course the excitement of the end of the game probably contributed to that. We did make it to Elton John although we did miss his first song due to his sharp stage time of 1930.

Excellent recommendation re The Grove. Was busy, but not overly so. Just a good atmosphere. Nice variety of drinks and fairly reasonably priced. Cheers.

Did elton mention the fitbaw?

20 hours ago, morrie21 said:

It's a good boozer. Bam free too which is a help. 

Finnieston in general is bam free. Night and day from the city centre. 

Just now, Squirrelhumper said:

Well I drink there from time to time so it's not entirely bam free....

1 minute ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Yeah quite enjoyed the walk around that area. Plenty of boozers too. Good part of the city.

3 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

I heard a bit of Off The Ball yesterday and they were going on about EJ asking someone about Ryan Porteous but I didn't catch the context.

He said at the end he has always felt an affinity towards Scotland and when he was young many of his family holidays were in Scotland, just travelling around. He said that now his touring days are coming to an end he's looking forward to taking his boys around Scotland sometime in the near future.  

2 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Ha, i'm known to frequent it too tbf. 

Actually watched the OF semi final in there before Six by Nico!

I was in there last week, finally got to try their Chippie menu.  Cracking scran.