Retirement...... - Page 12 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Tartanarmy retirement has worked for me 🤣🤣🤣 many happy memories but fk me alot of regrets , now I'm happily married just making the occasional thistle game , Poland was my last game at hampden for the dark blue 9-10 years ago

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, buckfast warrior said:

Tartanarmy retirement has worked for me 🤣🤣🤣 many happy memories but fk me alot of regrets , now I'm happily married just making the occasional thistle game , Poland was my last game at hampden for the dark blue 9-10 years ago

Ffs thought you were deid 😆

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2024 at 11:41 PM, buckfast warrior said:

Fuck me there's a blast from the past!

Why did you sack off Scotland games, just fed up?

Don't think i could ever give up Scptland or Killie games. I will probably cut down on aways at some point as i rarely miss a Killie game and do maybe 3 or 4 Scotland trips a year but don't think i could go cold turkey!

• 1 month later...

some days I like the idea of retirement but think I would get bored pretty quickly and I still like the pace and cut and thrust of business.  I like the idea of going part time some point in my 50s but quite difficult in my line of work. Phased retirement would be ideal I think.

15 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

some days I like the idea of retirement but think I would get bored pretty quickly and I still like the pace and cut and thrust of business.  I like the idea of going part time some point in my 50s but quite difficult in my line of work. Phased retirement would be ideal I think.

problem nowadays due to IT, is you never get peace to work and never get fecking peace - folk booking meetings at 7am to marry APAC or 8pm at night to marry them when WH Side or 8/pm to marry US side when EH side   - 3 weeks back I had calls finishing at 11.30pm/12 midnight Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday + people are virtue signalling by always calling meetings - 10 years back had about 2 main meetings a week - not it can be 2-3 a day - and everyone throws the lame excuse they never been trained - so the people who never got trained but worked it out have to lose time to train folk who are not self motivated  

Be glad to see back of it - cheerleading myself out 

I'll find plenty of things to occupy my time - like going on holidays  

39 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

I went part time (phased retirement) last year, my work rota is now 1 week (7 12 hour shifts) working then 18 days off 1 week on again then 38 days off, repeat throughout the year. Best thing I've ever done work wise ☺️☺️☺️ 

7 hours ago, RDFH64 said:

I went part time (phased retirement) last year, my work rota is now 1 week (7 12 hour shifts) working then 18 days off 1 week on again then 38 days off, repeat throughout the year. Best thing I've ever done work wise ☺️☺️☺️ 

that sounds very part time but great!

8 hours ago, euan2020 said:

problem nowadays due to IT, is you never get peace to work and never get fecking peace - folk booking meetings at 7am to marry APAC or 8pm at night to marry them when WH Side or 8/pm to marry US side when EH side   - 3 weeks back I had calls finishing at 11.30pm/12 midnight Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday + people are virtue signalling by always calling meetings - 10 years back had about 2 main meetings a week - not it can be 2-3 a day - and everyone throws the lame excuse they never been trained - so the people who never got trained but worked it out have to lose time to train folk who are not self motivated  

Be glad to see back of it - cheerleading myself out 

I'll find plenty of things to occupy my time - like going on holidays  

yeah, exactly same here.  I work for a global organisation and emails come in constantly through the day and night.  Even when you are not working you are expected to be “on” 7 to 11 during the week.

the other challenge is with zoom you can literally have every minute booked for meetings from 9 to 5 with no break and then be doing your day job and actions at night.

I have now been doing 3 day weeks since January and I cannot remember a time in my life that went by so quick. It’s without a doubt the best decision I have made for a while .

I still intend retiring fully at the end of the year however my husband retired almost 2 months ago and is struggling a bit getting used to it. Although he was truly fed up with his work I think he misses the structure it gave him. He isn’t really one for taking up hobbies or joining clubs,  though he is lucky that his skillset still allows him to  do work from time to time, albeit a bit random . 

I think its very important to make sure you have a plan as its a massive change to your life. Much as you might not love your job it does give you focus, something that is probably under valued. 

3 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

I have now been doing 3 day weeks since January and I cannot remember a time in my life that went by so quick. It’s without a doubt the best decision I have made for a while .

I still intend retiring fully at the end of the year however my husband retired almost 2 months ago and is struggling a bit getting used to it. Although he was truly fed up with his work I think he misses the structure it gave him. He isn’t really one for taking up hobbies or joining clubs,  though he is lucky that his skillset still allows him to  do work from time to time, albeit a bit random . 

I think its very important to make sure you have a plan as its a massive change to your life. Much as you might not love your job it does give you focus, something that is probably under valued. 

yeah, I agree with that.  That’s why I like the idea of part time to allow me to do more fun stuff but keep some structure.  It’s not easy to arrange unfortunately.

Question. Over here in Canada, we have to pay for health care benefits, unless you are lucky enough to have an employer that has benefits paid for. Is this the same in Scotland? I do believe everyone is covered whether you have a health plan or not no?

I work for the Ottawa International Airport in the winter now, it's a 5 month contract, but they cover my benefits. Between April and November until I report back for duty, I have NO benefits, but I was offered the option of carrying them through if I pay £100 a month.. I took the option, not worth it if something happens.... Is this similar in Scotland when you retire? Or do you always have Health Care benefits.....

1 hour ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Question. Over here in Canada, we have to pay for health care benefits, unless you are lucky enough to have an employer that has benefits paid for. Is this the same in Scotland? I do believe everyone is covered whether you have a health plan or not no?

I work for the Ottawa International Airport in the winter now, it's a 5 month contract, but they cover my benefits. Between April and November until I report back for duty, I have NO benefits, but I was offered the option of carrying them through if I pay £100 a month.. I took the option, not worth it if something happens.... Is this similar in Scotland when you retire? Or do you always have Health Care benefits.....

you would always have healthcare in scotland (universal healthcare)  - although US based Scots/Irish might say "you never get a doctor/surgeon as quick"

I did get a Urologist in Houston in 2 days i woudl have waited 1-3 months in UK, and a $40K operation was available within 3-4 weeks but i kicked it back to go to Cape Town on vacation for 2 months (they cut out 6 inches of my colon)

Love it !! Since I retired the most stressful thing is remembering the bring my cycle helmet l... I'm not bragging troops, I hope you understand life is short, enjoy it... I'm glad I'm retired, yes I make less money, but who gives a fuck. I'll hold my grandweans, mibbee get to Australia, always wanted to go there... No regrets... 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

PXL_20240528_213316991.MP~2.jpg