SNP leadership election - Page 115 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

SNP leadership election

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

48 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

GCi___CXwAAiEiL.jpg.49b2587bece72130e24e0f567bc52e93.jpg

I once read (and i might be wrong on this, as can't find any confirmation after a quick google) that the Scottish members of the House of Commons voted in favour of reversing the Act of Union a couple of years after it came into effect. This led to the speaker of the house declaring "We have catch'd Scotland and will hold her fast".

So, if the above is true, why didn't they just stop attending?

Maybe they never really meant it of course.

11 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

I once read (and i might be wrong on this, as can't find any confirmation after a quick google) that the Scottish members of the House of Commons voted in favour of reversing the Act of Union a couple of years after it came into effect. This led to the speaker of the house declaring "We have catch'd Scotland and will hold her fast".

Did some more googling... The quote from the English HoC speaker was said on the day the Act of Union passed.

My main point still stands though. The union was nearly ended in 1713, instigated over an argument about tax on malt.

The vote to dissolve the union was only lost by 4 votes.

https://thehistoryofparliament.wordpress.com/2013/05/31/there-has-been-all-along-something-odd-in-this-affair-the-malt-tax-and-the-1713-attempt-to-repeal-the-union/

17 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

Aye, there was a vote in WM in the very early days of the union about dissolving it, after there's was a stushie about something, but it was defeated by a baw hair (by, like, nine votes or something).

I can't remember what the issue was or exactly when it happened - but it definitely did! 😂

6 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

Did some more googling... The quote from the English HoC speaker was said on the day the Act of Union passed.

My main point still stands though. The union was nearly ended in 1713, instigated over an argument about tax on malt.

The vote to dissolve the union was only lost by 4 votes.

https://thehistoryofparliament.wordpress.com/2013/05/31/there-has-been-all-along-something-odd-in-this-affair-the-malt-tax-and-the-1713-attempt-to-repeal-the-union/

That was it!

Cheers Dave.

13 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Aye, there was a vote in WM in the very early days of the union about dissolving it, after there's was a stushie about something, but it was defeated by a baw hair (by, like, nine votes or something).

I can't remember what the issue was or exactly when it happened - but it definitely did! 😂

Glad i wasn't just imagining it!

Regarding the thing Ally posted about de jure independence, i just don't see it.

I don't think there are any shortcuts to independence. The only way to secure independence in today's world is a show of democratic will, i.e. a referendum, defacto or otherwise.