Sweetheart Stout - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Sweetheart Stout

41 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

and i thought it was only for auld mannies ..... : )

was working in the palm court 86-87 '  - lots of 'mature' locals - but also West End FC used it as clubhouse - been back a few times in the years past and quite a big difference ; never as busy (tv football aside) even with the fact that loads of pub in that area of city have gone forever ......

It was my grandfather who told me to try one but got to say what I remember it was alright.

Must have been the Pittodrie bar or the Old Bobbin Mill as we used to go there before or after the football. Good times back in the early 80s.

2 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Yes - McEwans Pale Ale (light) on draught was green and McEwans Export (heavy) was Red

I think you could mix and match a black and tan with light or guinness

Sweetheart stout is a different colour to Guinness

stout.jpg

Thanks ; yeah that makes sense - did think there would be regional variations of it too

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

5a8c3fd973d89_McEwansPaleAle.jpg.51e8551

Remember enjoying a pint of draught light in certain pubs.

am fairly certain that the earlier version of this was called India Pale Ale - am talking 1970s billboard mental imagery here - decades before the camra and hipster bearded types popularized the IPA revolution

6 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

am fairly certain that the earlier version of this was called India Pale Ale - am talking 1970s billboard mental imagery here - decades before the camra and hipster bearded types popularized the IPA revolution

although see there is a firm making Red McEwans IPA now

- and to further confuse things / poke holes in my memory ; it is from wikipedia tho ....

"the North of England.[22] From the 1960s, the company began to style itself MacEwan's in export markets, in order to make pronunciation easier.[23] The company's McEwan's Strong Ale was the highest gravity beer on general sale throughout the world.[23] McEwan's Export was alternatively sold as India Pale Ale or Scotch Ale overseas.[23] William McEwan Younger retired in 1970.[22]"

and they changed the Spelling !

Lead Zeppelin of the brewing world ?

What shores ?

2 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

and i thought it was only for auld mannies ..... : )

was working in the palm court 86-87 '  - lots of 'mature' locals - but also West End FC used it as clubhouse - been back a few times in the years past and quite a big difference ; never as busy (tv football aside) even with the fact that loads of pub in that area of city have gone forever ......

between 1980 -84 I worked in the queens bar(back wynd) ruffles and mr g's (in that order) and a black and tan was 1/2 heavy/export and stout,a green monster as served by me in ruffles was 1/2 cider 1/2 lager,measure of blue bols and a measure of vodka

12 minutes ago, davierobbsagod said:

between 1980 -84 I worked in the queens bar(back wynd) ruffles and mr g's (in that order) and a black and tan was 1/2 heavy/export and stout,a green monster as served by me in ruffles was 1/2 cider 1/2 lager,measure of blue bols and a measure of vodka

queens became the O Neils ? (the first one in UK i think) - although am thinking it was the tappit hen

ruffles  ; ive got about 4 guesses at - diamond st / the beach / crown st or shiprow .....

Gs though i was very familiar with ; lounge bar saturday 8.30(pm) sat meeting place before hitting Cousins / just as Joey Harper had sailed .... altho Gs upstairs quite often during the week with work folk

town went through a few changes after that ; where different areas became popular for bars - windmill brae / fairly dodgy ; belmont st / bigger student vibe - by late 90s early 2000s , holburn jct & Queens road was as far as we'd travel to town

glad i dont have to do it now tbh .......

3 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

queens became the O Neils ? (the first one in UK i think) - although am thinking it was the tappit hen

ruffles  ; ive got about 4 guesses at - diamond st / the beach / crown st or shiprow .....

Gs though i was very familiar with ; lounge bar saturday 8.30(pm) sat meeting place before hitting Cousins / just as Joey Harper had sailed .... altho Gs upstairs quite often during the week with work folk

town went through a few changes after that ; where different areas became popular for bars - windmill brae / fairly dodgy ; belmont st / bigger student vibe - by late 90s early 2000s , holburn jct & Queens road was as far as we'd travel to town

glad i dont have to do it now tbh .......

ruffles was diamond st,queens was first bar on back wynd,changed to busbys I think after queens,the queens bar was pretty eclectic in the 80's clientele were criminals,drug dealers and it had a busy gay scene.In my time there they gay guys would throw 50p's on the floor so I had to bend over to pick them up (they were winding up the young loon) I had a fork held to my throat by a dealer when I lifted his glass too early and had my engagement suit stolen to order from burtons  (pastel green.. miami vice style) people would steal to order for you,I asked a guy if he could get me a watch from the jeweller round the corner ,he came back and said " couldn't get a watch will this do " it was a carriage clock.

our go to pub crawl was also queens road,

simpsons,queens hotel,cafe society,dutch mill ,cafe society,and dizzys sometimes No 10 and turn around and go home,cos I (ahem...) live in the west end

1 hour ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

I remember it too, gave me a chuckle when IPA suddenly became trendy.

On 12/16/2022 at 10:39 AM, TDYER63 said:

😁

When I was a barmaid in the 80’s it was quite popular as a mix but known as black and tan. Or was that a different ‘cocktail’ ? …

It wasn’t as popular as a snakebite though in crazy Paisley 😊

👍

No you're right Sweetheart and Guinness is a black and tan