Hickey V Patterson - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Hickey V Patterson

Burj_Alba

3 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

What about the many posters who were saying Hickey should never play for Scotland because he took the decision to concentrate on his club development rather than playinf for the U21s. I hope they are man enough to accept that they were totally wrong and that Hickey knew best, and was actually very mature and single minded to make such a big call.

Said it a while back, Hickey is going to be a massive talent. Look at his physique now and compare it to Bales at the same age. I can only see him going from strength to strength. He is already strong, fast, 2 footed and can read the game. He is street smart with things like body positioning and drawing fouls.

Patterson has bags of potentil aswell. Very similar to Hutton and I think both have a big future for Scotland. Its not about one or the other. They can both play at different stages in different types of games.

I never said that about his decision not to play U21, but I did say I was unconvinced he was a rightback (as he hadn't played extensively there at the time) and also particularly that I didn't think he had the strength or athleticism to play at the absolute top level. I am happy to eat humble pie now on those two opinions, both look to be well and truly left behind with his assured performances at rightback as well as the massive change in body shape over the last year or so. A remarkable transition to be honest.

7 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

What about the many posters who were saying Hickey should never play for Scotland because he took the decision to concentrate on his club development rather than playinf for the U21s. I hope they are man enough to accept that they were totally wrong and that Hickey knew best, and was actually very mature and single minded to make such a big call.

Said it a while back, Hickey is going to be a massive talent. Look at his physique now and compare it to Bales at the same age. I can only see him going from strength to strength. He is already strong, fast, 2 footed and can read the game. He is street smart with things like body positioning and drawing fouls.

Patterson has bags of potentil aswell. Very similar to Hutton and I think both have a big future for Scotland. Its not about one or the other. They can both play at different stages in different types of games.

I have just minutes ago compared Hickey with a young Gareth Bale on another thread. I wonder if we could teach him to take free kicks?

This is the Robertson/Tierney conundrum redux, but on the opposite flank. And I would like to see a similar solution which accommodates both. With his rampaging runs Patterson is a fantastic attacking threat. But Hickey is far too good to be left out of any Scotland team, and so I would play him in central midfield. Of course he can also cover on the left if Robertson or Tierney is unavailable. I would not swap full-backs with any other nation.