We Need Goals - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

We Need Goals

the flying scotsman

The current system is a lot more sophisticated than the one Kenny Miller had to slog his guts out for.

Aye, if Miller had been 5 or 6 years younger and in the team just now, he would fit straight in to the current system and shine no problem!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually feel a bit sorry for MIller - suspect the current team and strategy would suit him and us. Bad timing!

Agreed. I think he retired at the right time, after THAT goal.

But, as with McFadden, his peak came too soon. If only we had both of them at their best in the current team. I think they got about 35 goals between them in a very poor decade.

Rhodes fell out with Strachan, common knowledge.

Common knowledge implies that everyone is routinely aware of the situation. However you would seem to be the only person aware of a falling out - unless you mean "Rhodes fell out with Strachan, I don't know this for sure but it would seem the most obvious explanation for his continuing exclusion from the squad".

Rhodes has scored over 55 goals in 2 in a bit seasons at Blackburn. If that isnt prolific enough to earn a call up then I dont know what is.

Imo Rhodes is a better player than S Fletcher

Rhodes is a different player to Fletcher....Fletcher provides more, Good in the air, and has been fairly consistent in the premiership, but unlucky with injuries.

No doubt about it rhough, Rhodes is a great finisher and instinctively gets into great positions.

Could be a great partnership! I would play them both up to in the home games.

I cannot split them as very different players, but for Rhodes to not be in the squad is a bit mental in my view, a great option off the bench if chasing a game?

Would Rhodes have been able to switch the play the way Fletcher did that led to our first goal?

Fletcher could still have been deep to ping the cross ball, anya could still be there to receive the ball, and Rhodes would be in the same place as Maloney to finish....so I am guessing yes...

Edit due to typo...

Edited by WeLuvIrnBru

I wouldn't mind seeing Rhodes involved again, maybe by making a squad first if not starting, not a bad option if chasing a goal as others have said. I was at the Luxembourg friendly a couple of years ago where he scored 2 goals, would have loved it had he got his hat-trick that night, been a long time since a Scotland player scored one. More importantly though, we are scoring goals, if we had a prolific scorer then brilliant, at present we don't but lets not panic, it's not as if we can't find the net lately.

You'd only know RhodesHeScoresGoals was right footed from his unerring, emphatic penalties into either corner

He scores with both feet - again, note how often he finds the corner

He scores going near post and across the keeper

He scores with his head - nod ins and improvised headers - see brilliant debut goal v Australia

He scores through the centre as often from wide

He doesn't rely (as WGS suggested over a year ago) on 50+ crosses a game

His goalscoring record is far superior to Martin's (also a proven finisher) as shown with 8 in 8 for U-21's - our national record. He's younger too.

He's earned the opportunity to be in the squad

You'd only know RhodesHeScoresGoals was right footed from his unerring, emphatic penalties into either corner

He scores with both feet - again, note how often he finds the corner

He scores going near post and across the keeper

He scores with his head - nod ins and improvised headers - see brilliant debut goal v Australia

He scores through the centre as often from wide

He doesn't rely (as WGS suggested over a year ago) on 50+ crosses a game

His goalscoring record is far superior to Martin's (also a proven finisher) as shown with 8 in 8 for U-21's - our national record. He's younger too.

He's earned the opportunity to be in the squad

Spot on.

Far too many folk on this board speaking negatively about Rhodes's adaptability (and just his ability) without having the first clue about what he is or isn't capable of. All the vast majority of us have to go on is the odd live Blackburn game on telly and possibly potted highlights on a Saturday night.

With that in mind, I'm prepared to let the only facts that exist do the talking i.e. his proven record at every level he's played at so far, be that League One, Championship, U21 international and full international. The boy may be on a bit of a lean spell at the moment by his own ridiculous standards, but whatever way you cut it he's a born goal scorer. That's good enough for me.

As someone pointed out earlier, we need a squad made up of horses for courses. No point in all our squad strikers fitting the same profile. This is why I feel there simply must be more to this than meets the eye, because I don't believe for one minute that WGS doesn't value the thought of a bit of diversity in his squad.

Would like to see Jordan Rhodes get the nod against Gibraltar. At the moment I like the way Strachan has us set up with Naismith in behind Fletcher and using Anya as a long ball option. It's not broken so I see no reason to fix it. Especially with arguably one of our biggest games of these qualifiers next.

I'm unconvinced by Jordan Rhodes. He has been prolific in English League 1 and had a good couple of years at Blackburn. Yet to be proven at a top level. Hope he proves me wrong.

I do find it strange that Rhodes pulled out of a couple of squads before eventually not being part of the squad at all. Could all be legitimate of course.

Anyway, I don't think goalscoring has been a problem for us recently. If anything it's the other end of the park that has room for improvement.

I'm unconvinced by Jordan Rhodes. He has been prolific in English League 1 and had a good couple of years at Blackburn. Yet to be proven at a top level. Hope he proves me wrong.

I do find it strange that Rhodes pulled out of a couple of squads before eventually not being part of the squad at all. Could all be legitimate of course.

Anyway, I don't think goalscoring has been a problem for us recently. If anything it's the other end of the park that has room for improvement.

And Martin of course has done it all at the top level?

I don't quite get the obsession with Rhodes. He's scored half the goals Chris Martin has this season, and is third top scorer at Blackburn.

Chris martin is no the answer though,

after getting back from poland i watched the game again and when he came on he never broke out of a jog the whole time he was on the park and that let the poles time to play out from the back,

Strachan got it wrong for me he should have put may on and told him to keep closing down and harassing the back 4!

May has pace to burn and is a big physical boy too,

martin scores goals but when ive seen derby on the tele russel looks a better all round player for the sort of system strachan wants to play!!

after getting back from poland i watched the game again and when he came on he never broke out of a jog the whole time he was on the park and that let the poles time to play out from the back,

Strachan got it wrong for me he should have put may on and told him to keep closing down and harassing the back 4!

martin scores goals but when ive seen derby on the tele russel looks a better all round player for the sort of system strachan wants to play!!

I'm not saying he is the answer; just highlighting that he is scoring more this season (in Strachan's preferred system) than Rhodes - who seems to be a messiah to some.

I don't know what you've seen of Stevie May, but whilst he does put in a helluva shift, he's not particularly fast.

On Russell, he is fast, but he seems to drift in and out of the Derby starting 11, and as far as I'm aware he plays on the wing for them.

Have to agree.

I was curious to see what Martin can offer, but he was pushed off the ball far to easy and just unable to find space for himself when he came on.... as you said, May would have a better impact than him.