Oban eateries - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Oban eateries

Evening folks,

Wind permitting, me and Mrs C are off to Oban tomorrow for a couple of days.  Can anyone recommend a couple of good restaurants?  We're fairly flexible as to different cuisines, but we'd certainly want to try some local produce at some point.  I'll wager the fish is smashing, although being an exiled North-East loon there's a high bar to hit!

I have been told the main chipper there is run by a pretty horrible piece of work, more than your average "Proud Scot but..", and I seem to vaguely recall something about a woman being slung out of a chipper for wearing something which indicated she was a Yes voter.  My memory could easily be wonky, and what I've been told could also be nonsense, of course, and I'll happily stand corrected if so.

Any recommendations, and equally places to avoid, would be very welcome.

Cheers!

Maybe it’s just me, but I couldn’t give a fuck what the political leanings of a restaurant owner were. 

Anyway, Tam Cowan has been stoating about that area this week and he highly recommends The Oban Fish and Chip Shop and also Cuan Mór. Plenty info on his Instagram page if you want to take a look 👍🏼

17 hours ago, McTeeko said:

Maybe it’s just me, but I couldn’t give a fuck what the political leanings of a restaurant owner were. 

Anyway, Tam Cowan has been stoating about that area this week and he highly recommends The Oban Fish and Chip Shop and also Cuan Mór. Plenty info on his Instagram page if you want to take a look 👍🏼

I couldn’t give a fuck either, but if I had the choice of spending my cash in a chippy that serves everyone,  or a chippy that turns away a 79 yr old woman because she has her country’s flag round her shoulder,  I know where my money would go. 

Thankfully Tam’s chippy doesn’t discriminate  😉

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

or a chippy that turns away a 79 yr old woman because she has her country’s flag round her shoulder,  I know where my money would go. 

What’s G-Man doing wearing a flag round her shoulder? You sure it wasn’t just a cape? 😆

Edited by Tiny Tim

15 hours ago, Tiny Tim said:

What’s G-Man doing wearing a flag round her shoulder? You sure it wasn’t just a cape? 😆

😂 if she is reading this you should  be more concerned about what she is going to do with the flag pole if she catches you in that cape of hers. 

On 2/19/2022 at 12:17 AM, McTeeko said:

Cuan Mor was decent. 

The fish tacos places was good too. It's a converted storage container. Maybe not ideal in this weather though!

• 4 months later...
On 2/19/2022 at 12:17 AM, McTeeko said:

On 2/21/2022 at 6:40 PM, Squirrelhumper said:

Cuan Mor was decent. 

The fish tacos places was good too. It's a converted storage container. Maybe not ideal in this weather though!

Thanks for this chaps, and apologies for not acknowledging your comments sooner, very rude of me. We took the Cuan Mór option in the end, and it didn't disappoint.

It's not just you McTeeko, I wouldn't generally care about the political leanings of a restaurant owner either. Perhaps I didn't put it over well enough, but as Tyder alluded to subsequently, the issue is the treatment of people.  I'd be none too chuffed with a 'Yes' supporter who ejected a 'No' voter either, although of course it resonates a bit more when the person on the receiving end is one of your own 'camp'.  I'm not going to give custom to someone who behaves like that, apart from anything else I'd be sitting there wondering if I was going to be asked to leave at any moment.  Who would want to be in an environment like that?  Also, behaviour like that makes it quite clear that they don't want me there either; message received and understood, no problem.

Anyway thanks again for the responses, we're going back to Oban soon, for a bit longer and in better weather (probably). Delightful place and this time hopefully the wind won't stop the ferry running!