Happy Winter Solstice Everybody - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Happy Winter Solstice Everybody

3 minutes ago, phart said:

I was learning that it's the shortest day but not the day where suset is earliest or dawn latest, or vice versa in the southern hemisphere.

Same up here. Our sunsets started getting slightly later a few days ago but the sunrises will continue to be later for a few days.Ā  All to do with how the earth is tilted by the moon apparently.Ā  I'm sure we had a physics boffin on here at one time who could probably explain it better.

33 minutes ago, daviebee said:

Same up here. Our sunsets started getting slightly later a few days ago but the sunrises will continue to be later for a few days.Ā  All to do with how the earth is tilted by the moon apparently.Ā  I'm sure we had a physics boffin on here at one time who could probably explain it better.

It's cause a day isn;t quite 24 hours. As we have anĀ elliptical orbit so it's not a constant. This discrepancy causes it. :)

Edited by phart