Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 341 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

48 minutes ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Will be interesting to see how Karamoko Dembele gets on tonight against premier league opposition. 

Has done well at league 1 but this is the level he’ll want to be playing at. 

I still think theres a chance he will become a good footballer. Hes only 20 and doing reasonably well in league1. Still very much time for him to make it at a decent level.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, dan cake said:

Cascarino’s grandad wasn’t even Irish his mother discovered the man she thought was her biological dad wasn’t, he’d already been capped 3 times by then

Irish didn't give a shit tbf. Just wanted a team to cheer on. 

28 minutes ago, BryanBlessed said:

Some are. Were Ché Adams and Tommy Conway? Word is Scott McTominay couldn't wait to play and his dad was probably drumming it into him. This is what makes a blanket rule so tough but surely the starting point should be at least one parent and/or raised in Scotland?

Right now, it doesn't bother me that much as most of our key players were actually born and/or raised in Scotland.However, the way I look at the grandparent rule is would we be happy if our first 11 were all English with a Scottish grandparent even if that meant doing well in tournaments?

Tommy Conway has never played football for any other country apart from Scotland, as far as I'm aware. In my eyes that makes him far more Scott McTominay than Che Adams.

The way demographics are going it could be that its the grandparent rule that helps keep us competitive in the decades to come (if it still exists).

22 minutes ago, dan cake said:

I’m not claiming anything he was born in Jamaica which isn’t in England 

This was the question: Who do England put in that isn't really English? 

If your answer was Sterling, how could we take that as anything other than saying he isn't really English?

26 minutes ago, Marky said:

It's not the ones that "feel some affinity" that people are worried about and (just my opinion), players should never be allowed to change allegiance just because they don't think they'll get a game for the country that they really want to play for.

Are you sure about that? I've noticed people (on here anyway) tend to shape-shift on this subject. The starting position is: "if we're their first choice, that's okay"; but even when we are it changes to "ugh, he's English!".

16 minutes ago, dan cake said:

Just England rejects or would 11 Australian ones be ok? 

Australians would be fine, it's just the English - or those perceived as English - that some cunts have a chip on their shoulder about. 

1 minute ago, scotlad said:

Are you sure about that? I've noticed people (on here anyway) tend to shape-shift on this subject. The starting position is: "if we're their first choice, that's okay"; but even when we are it changes to "ugh, he's English!".

Australians would be fine, it's just the English - or those perceived as English - that some cunts have a chip on their shoulder about. 

The two usual suspects will be weighing in later I would imagine 😉

Clarke and the SFA will have had the discussion before he even took the job regarding their “capping” policy, I doubt he’d have taken the job if he felt he was going to be restricted in who he could pick 

32 minutes ago, dan cake said:

The two usual suspects will be weighing in later I would imagine 😉

Clarke and the SFA will have had the discussion before he even took the job regarding their “capping” policy, I doubt he’d have taken the job if he felt he was going to be restricted in who he could pick 

Bound to mate, after their remedial classes have finished.

Aye, like anyone in his position, Clarke will pick the best players available to him and who want to play for him. I look at someone like James Morrison, who was born and raised in England, represented them up to U21 level (I think) and "only" qualified for Scotland through a grandparent, but once he was on board he always turned up for squads and tried his best whenever he played. I've more respect for someone like him than certain players in the not-too-distant past who might satisfy any test you could apply in terms of defining being Scottish - birth, upbringing, accent - but once they were selected for Scotland could take it or leave it. 

2 hours ago, dan cake said:

Just England rejects or would 11 Australian ones be ok? 

No. I'm not sure if this is a reference to Dykes (who has two Scottish parents) or that people wouldn't be bothered if it were another nationality rather than English. I'd feel the same way about any other nationality but it just so happens that the players in question will most likely be English given it's our biggest neighbour and the number of people (including myself) who have English family. We don't get many Wales/Irish/Northern Irish rejects for obvious reasons.

2 hours ago, scotlad said:

Tommy Conway has never played football for any other country apart from Scotland, as far as I'm aware. In my eyes that makes him far more Scott McTominay than Che Adams.

The way demographics are going it could be that its the grandparent rule that helps keep us competitive in the decades to come (if it still exists).

Suppose that is a fair point but it might be that Scotland were the only ones who offered. I understand we have to operate as best we can within the rules but I'm not a big fan of the rules.

14 minutes ago, BryanBlessed said:

I'm sure you don't mean like it sounds but I'd maybe revise this statement.

Don't be silly or try and virtue signal. The statement I made doesn't have any racist or xenophobic overtones. I have no problem with immigrants or different races. I am usually the first one to slate right wing idiots like Tommy Robinson or the edl. 

It's simply a fact that France relies on it's immigrant population to produce footballers and their squad is largely made up of children of immigrants especially from the African colonies. 

I have no problem with that and wish we had that as resource but currently we don't although maybe in 10 or 20 years we might have a more diverse squad. 

24 minutes ago, BryanBlessed said:

Anyway, I wonder how Jack Hendry is feeling as looks like Jordan Henderson is taking a massive financial hit to get out of Saudi Arabia. I've had friends who work in oil and gas say they'd never live there even if were quadrupling their salaries.

Genuine question would you go there if Scotland qualify for the World Cup that’s likely to be held there?, on a personal level I wasn’t in the slightest bit bothered about Scotland not being in Qatar. 

Just now, dan cake said:

Genuine question would you go there if Scotland qualify for the World Cup that’s likely to be held there?, on a personal level I wasn’t in the slightest bit bothered about Scotland not being in Qatar. 

Personally I didn't want us going to Qatar. I watched next nothing of the Qatar world cup and still can't believe that it was allowed to take place. I wouldnt attend a world cup there either. 

Saying that it would of been hard not to watch Scotlands games if we had made it to Qatar.

2 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Personally I didn't want us going to Qatar. I watched next nothing of the Qatar world cup and still can't believe that it was allowed to take place. I wouldnt attend a world cup there either. 

Saying that it would have been hard not to watch Scotlands games if we had made it to Qatar.

That’s pretty much where I am, don’t think I seen a single fan I could relate to and Messi’s cape was the ultimate “games gone” for me

I'd rather pick Scottish players for Scotland. or else international football is meaningless,its just like club football.

Just look at our rugby team, all English, South Africans, Aussie and New Zealanders with a minority of scots in the squad as our country can't produce rugby players anymore.

Fair enough the likes of McTominay with a Scottish Dad can reasonably claim to identify as Scottish but granny rule has always been a joke and I'd rather not see us use it. I'd sooner see the likes of Daniel Armstrong - who is performing well week in week out- get a call up than the likes of Harvey Barnes who are just taking us as a back up option because his national team doesn't seem interested. Where's the pride left when you're resorting to that?

Edited by mcnish
add

4 hours ago, BryanBlessed said:

Who do England put in that isn't really English? The last one of note was Owen Hargreaves. I suppose someone who say Jack Grealish and Declan Rice, but, despite their origins, they both grew up in England and probably always regarded themselved as English.

They've a huge pool of players to choose from, it's really not a valid argument comparing them to us . I'll say it again as I guess I might have posted a similar statement before but we will NEVER qualify for another world cup, that's 99% certain, Euro champs would be possible but probably only every other or third tournament if you can live with that qualification record then let's stick to only Scottish born players😪

5 minutes ago, mcnish said:

I'd rather pick Scottish players for Scotland. or else international football is meaningless,its just like club football.

Just look at our rugby team, all English, South Africans, Aussie and New Zealanders with a minority of scots in the squad as our country can't produce rugby players anymore.

Fair enough the likes of McTominay with a Scottish Dad can reasonably claim to identify as Scottish but granny rule has always been a joke and I'd rather not see us use it. I'd sooner see the likes of Daniel Armstrong - who is performing well week in week out- get a call up than the likes of Harvey Barnes who are just taking us as a back up option because his national team doesn't seem interested. Where's the pride left when you're resorting to that?

Let's just be a nation of losers then, let's get pissed & not even bother attending the game because we're only going to get humped when we play anyone that's decent, again if your happy with that good for you but I'm certainly not.

44 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Don't be silly or try and virtue signal. The statement I made doesn't have any racist or xenophobic overtones. I have no problem with immigrants or different races. I am usually the first one to slate right wing idiots like Tommy Robinson or the edl. 

It's simply a fact that France relies on it's immigrant population to produce footballers and their squad is largely made up of children of immigrants especially from the African colonies. 

I have no problem with that and wish we had that as resource but currently we don't although maybe in 10 or 20 years we might have a more diverse squad. 

"Virture signalling'? On an anonymous forum?

I was trying not to be confrontational about it but if you  don't think the most obvious interpretation of following isn't a racist one then we're obviously not on the same planet and we'll leave it there.

Also most of the French team are the children of immigrants. Hardly many indigenous Frenchmen in their squad.

21 minutes ago, theabsentee said:

They've a huge pool of players to choose from, it's really not a valid argument comparing them to us . I'll say it again as I guess I might have posted a similar statement before but we will NEVER qualify for another world cup, that's 99% certain, Euro champs would be possible but probably only every other or third tournament if you can live with that qualification record then let's stick to only Scottish born players😪

It wasn't my argument. The OP said that England take players who aren't English when they rarely do. The only one you could confidently say wasn't English was Owen Hargreaves.

47 minutes ago, dan cake said:

Yes, without question. I'm not saying I agree with their laws or society but I've visited lots of countries where that's the case. Sport is sport and politics is politics.  That's not to say Jordan Henderson isn't a hypocrite because he is. 

30 minutes ago, mcnish said:

100% agree and I think this is an entirely uncontroversial opinion. I say this as, dare I say it, a unionist but the whole point of international football is to represent your country.

1 minute ago, BryanBlessed said:

"Virture signalling'? On an anonymous forum?

I was trying not to be confrontational about it but if you  don't think the most obvious interpretation of following isn't a racist one then we're obviously not on the same planet and we'll leave it there.

Stop being an idiot. I think most sensible ppl in here will understand the point I was making and you trying to point score over racism is pathetic. 

Feels like the mask is slowly starting to slip with you as it always does.