Steve Clarke interview - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Steve Clarke interview

Taylor1996

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/steve-clarke-shrugs-scotland-pressure-22975057

Scotland pressure as he insists he'd deserve NO credit for Euro 2020 qualification

The national team are 90 minutes away from ending the long wait for a place at a major tournament.

Steve Clarke insists he can handle the pressure of getting Scotland to a first major tournament in 23 years.

The national boss, though, says that if we
beat Serbia to reach Euro 2020 on Thursday he WON’T deserve any credit.

Clarke believes his players should get all the plaudits for turning our fortunes around if they make history in Belgrade.

Scotland are four days away from their biggest game in more than a decade – knowing victory will seal qualification for the first time since the 1998 World Cup in France when Craig Brown was the boss.

Clarke is well aware of what’s at stake.

But he claims he’s ready to shoulder the weight of expectation.

He said: “Listen, I don’t put myself under any extra pressure.

“When you take the job you also take on the
responsibility to put a winning team on the pitch.

“We’re unbeaten in eight games now but we’re going into another run of matches and if the run stops at eight, we don’t qualify for Euro 2020.

“It’s important for me to stay focused on the job, to make sure I get the team selection and substitutes right on Thursday. Hopefully, I can do that and the players can produce on the park.

“People speak a lot about managers and coaches. But football is about players.

“They’re the guys who cross the white line and have to turn everything I talk about in meeting rooms and training pitches into reality.

“If we’re good and lucky enough to be
successful, there’ll be no credit coming my way.

“And if it does, I’ll be pushing it on to the
players as they will be the ones who deserve it.

“I’ve never been in this position before as national team manager.

“So come game time on Thursday I will feel the weight of the expectation.

“But with the experience I’ve got and the games I’ve been involved in during my career as a player, coach and manager – and there’s been a lot of big ones – I’m sure I’ll handle the pressure.

“If I concentrate on my job and make sure the players are properly prepared, everything else takes care of itself.”

He's showing incredible humility.

He's wrong, though. These players, playing in a failed system (4-2-3-1. And four at the back, in general) and were easy to play against, easy to score inti and easy to beat. Since he switched it to a 3-5-2, we've improved rapidly.

He ignored the knee-jerk response and the basic misunderstanding of football, by a section of the fans and the media, by sticking to his guns.

If he won't take the credit, I will. 

I've been beating the 3-5-2 drum, on a lone furrow, for a long, long, long, long time. I knew that i'd be proven right if a Scotland manager had the testicular fortitude to play, and stick, to that system.

I have been proven completely right.

The more times that people here mention "three at the back", and set out their first XI with a three, the more vindicated I become.

You're welcome.

Edited by Taylor1996

12 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

He's showing incredible humility.

He's wrong, though. These players, playing in a failed system (4-2-3-1. And four at the back, in general) and were easy to play against, easy to score inti and easy to beat. Since he switched it to a 3-5-2, we've improved rapidly.

He ignored the knee-jerk response and the basic misunderstanding of football, by a section of the fans and the media, by sticking to his guns.

If he won't take the credit, I will. 

I've been beating the 3-5-2 drum, on a lone furrow, for a long, long, long, long time. I knew that i'd be proven right if a Scotland manager had the testicular fortitude to play, and stick, to that system.

I have been proven completely right.

The more times that people here mention "three at the back", and set out their first XI with a three, the more vindicated I become.

You're welcome.

Why do you keep saying “you’re welcome” as if you have done anything worth thanking you for?

You are not Steve Clarke and Steve Clarke has not been getting results because of anything you have done. 

10 hours ago, Tiny Tim said:

Amazing. And you’ve been beating that drum since before 1996? Unbelievable. :wink2:

No. I've been beating that drum since 2001 when Berti ripped up Craig Brown's successful template. (That's apparently when I was 5 years old, according to your paranoid brain)

Dude. You have an unhealthy obsession with my age. 

Edited by Taylor1996

11 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

No. I've been beating that drum since 2001 when Berti ripped up Craig Brown's successful template. (That's apparently when I was 5 years old, according to your paranoid brain)

Dude. You have an unhealthy obsession with my age. 

How could Vogts be doing that in 2001 when he became Scotland manager in 2002 ?

Btw Vogts had no choice but to dismantle Brown's team.

There were far too many ageing players in Browns final Scotland team and others who were on the verge of retirement. Unfortunately for us there were hardly any young Scots with talent to succeed them.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

Just now, Taylor1996 said:

Attention seeking would suggest that I want people to respond.

I do not.

Whatever you say. 

Thanks for getting us to the euro playoff. You are a complete fuckwit but we are all forever in your debt.

2 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Why do you keep saying “you’re welcome” as if you have done anything worth thanking you for?

You are not Steve Clarke and Steve Clarke has not been getting results because of anything you have done. 

I am aware that you blithely ignore the abuse that I receive here, so I won't engage, too much.

Over x amount of time I have received untold amount of ridicule for my preference for three at the back. I have every right to shove the words back down the throat of the detractors.

Have you got evidence that Steve Clarks doesn't browse here? I don't. 

1 minute ago, Taylor1996 said:

I am aware that you blithely ignore the abuse that I receive here, so I won't engage, too much.

Over x amount of time I have received untold amount of ridicule for my preference for three at the back. I have every right to shove the words back down the throat of the detractors.

Really??? Thats terrible, you should have mentioned it

16 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

How could Vogts be doing that in 2001 when he became Scotland manager in 2002 ?

Btw Vogts had no choice but to dismantle Brown's team.

There were far too many ageing players in Browns final Scotland team and others who were on the verge of retirement. Unfortunately for us there were hardly any young Scots with talent to succeed them.

Jan 2002. Many apologizes, Mr Pedantic.

Disagree. Just because there wasn't an abundance of young players, so we go back to a four? If anything, that was even more reason to keep to what we knew.

Just now, Taylor1996 said:

Always remember.

What's your first XI for Serbia? Is it with a back four?

Nope, ive posted what i expect the team to be in the squad thread. What the formation is means fuck all to me or anyone else......except you.

Scotland getting to the euros is all that matters, if clarke gets that job done with 9 defenders ill still be happy.

8 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

You bring most of the “abuse” you receive on here on yourself. 

I am not a moderator on this board so it’s not my place to get involved anyway and it wouldn’t do any good even if I did. Why would anyone listen to me if I asked them not to rise to your bait?

If you are seriously suggesting that Clarke has changed to 3 at the back because he has been reading your posts on here then you are just making yourself look silly and any last ounce of credibility you had on here has been lost.

15 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

You bring most of the “abuse” you receive on here on yourself. 

I am not a moderator on this board so it’s not my place to get involved anyway and it wouldn’t do any good even if I did. Why would anyone listen to me if I asked them not to rise to your bait?

If you are seriously suggesting that Clarke has changed to 3 at the back because he has been reading your posts on here then you are just making yourself look silly and any last ounce of credibility you had on here has been lost.

Really? https://www.tamb.net/forum/index.php?/topic/15531-a-supporting-scotland-thread-a-case-study-in-optimism-and-positivity/

Four pages. One or maybe two of the replies were about the subject. The rest was abuse. And a nice gentleman saying that I was worse than cancer.

Lovely that you condone that.

Rise to my bait? Ok. I think it's clear what you are.

Bye.

Edited by Taylor1996

I don’t condone the abuse. Or agree with folk on here who constantly shout for people to be banned.

I don't have an obsession with your age either, I just think that you being born in 1996 explains your posting style. I have kids and nephews your age and so I give you a bit more understanding.

You won’t admit to it though because of one of your previous posts that said you were advising Craig Brown on 3 at the back. That would make you full of shite unless you were very advanced for your age. Toddler1996.

9 minutes ago, Tiny Tim said:

I don’t condone the abuse. Or agree with folk on here who constantly shout for people to be banned.

I don't have an obsession with your age either, I just think that you being born in 1996 explains your posting style. I have kids and nephews your age and so I give you a bit more understanding.

You won’t admit to it though because of one of your previous posts that said you were advising Craig Brown on 3 at the back. That would make you full of shite unless you were very advanced for your age. Toddler1996.

My posting style? What? Taking the high road and not childish name calling?

Yeah. I don't really abuse people online, as it's cowardly and cringe-worthy.

I was advising Craig Brown to play three at the back? I don't know Craig Brown. Besides, Brown played 3 at the back 90% of the time.

When?

What are you talking about?

Edited by Taylor1996

1 hour ago, Taylor1996 said:

Really? https://www.tamb.net/forum/index.php?/topic/15531-a-supporting-scotland-thread-a-case-study-in-optimism-and-positivity/

Four pages. One or maybe two of the replies were about the subject. The rest was abuse. And a nice gentleman saying that I was worse than cancer.

Lovely that you condone that.

Rise to my bait? Ok. I think it's clear what you are.

Bye.

I don’t condone abuse of any sort but if you’re going to act the way you do on here people are going to call you on it. Do some people go too far? Yes they probably do but that’s up to the board moderators to manage, not me. 

7 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I don’t condone abuse of any sort but if you’re going to act the way you do on here people are going to call you on it. Do some people go too far? Yes they probably do but that’s up to the board moderators to manage, not me. 

How do I act?

I don't recall ever abusing anyone. My only crime is posting my opinion. But you appear to be saying that I should be abused for that.

Fair enough.

You aren't a mod? Oh please.

That's akin to saying you wouldn't intervene if you saw a mugging, because you aren't in the police.

Nice.

Edited by Taylor1996

2 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

Jan 2002. Many apologizes, Mr Pedantic.

Disagree. Just because there wasn't an abundance of young players, so we go back to a four? If anything, that was even more reason to keep to what we knew.

Vogts tried out three, four and five men at the back.

Unfortunately, a lot of the players he had to work with - Rab Douglas, Lee Wilkie, Scott Severin, Gavin Rae, Russell Anderson, Maurice Ross, Stephen Crainey, Paul Devlin, Gareth Williams, Scott Dobie, Robbie Stockdale, Stevie Crawford, Kevin Kyle, Stevie Thompson - simply were nowhere near good enough for international football.

5 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

How do I act?

I don't recall ever abusing anyone. My only crime is posting my opinion. But you appear to be saying that I should be abused for that.

Fair enough.

You aren't a mod? Oh please.

That's akin to saying you wouldn't intervene if you saw a mugging, because you aren't in the police.

Nice.

You’re condescending and quite often rude. Possibly not on purpose but you are. I haven’t once said you should be abused for that but if your going to be rude to people they will likely be rude back.

As far as you being abusive, I didn’t say you were but you have sent me abusive DMs on here in the past. You have called me a pussy on more than one occasion. 

There’s a big difference between stepping in when someone getting mugged and not getting involved in petty spats on a daft football forum. 

19 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Unfortunately, a lot of the players he had to work with - Rab Douglas, Lee Wilkie, Scott Severin, Gavin Rae, Russell Anderson, Maurice Ross, Stephen Crainey, Paul Devlin, Gareth Williams, Scott Dobie, Robbie Stockdale, Stevie Crawford, Kevin Kyle, Stevie Thompson - simply were nowhere near good enough for international football.

I can't remember him playing anything but a 4. I remember being apoplectic that he changed to a four.

You're not mentioning Neil Alexander, Graeme Alexander, Scott Booth, Craig Burley, Gary Calwell, Colin Cameron, Christian Dailly, Callum Davidson, Don Hitchinson, Alan Johnstone, James McFadden Jackie McNamara, Gary Naismith, David Weir, Kenny Miller, Barry Ferguson, Paul Lambert, Stephen Pearson and Darren Fletcher.

People talk about how Berti Inherented a bunch of men that were close the nursing home age. It's a fallacy. The aforementioned squad is easily comparable with today's squad.

Edited by Taylor1996

16 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Some of the guys you’ve mentioned are on a par with some of the guys in the squad at the moment.