Same footed centre backs - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Same footed centre backs

Diamond Scot

1 hour ago, Diamond Scot said:

When did it become a problem to have two centre backs who kick with the same foot?

For years teams played with two right footed CBs. We have a bunch of left footed CBs. It really shouldnt be an issue.

You're right it shouldn't but with a back three it becomes awkward for the right CB if he's a leftie and he has to tackle on his wrong side. Also what makes it worse for Scotland is that we are over-subscribed for left-footers all over the park. In midfield we have Christie, McGinn. Mclean, Fleck  and McGregor with only Jack and er..hum McTominay as right sided midfielders. Think Armstrong is right sided too though. Once Turnbull and Gilmour come through it will be less of a problem.

I don't see it as a problem in any position, especially since they are professionals and should really be able to kick, tackle etc with both feet. If anyone here plays any level of football im pretty sure they are capable of this, I know I certainly can and all I do is play 5s. Yes it probably helps to have some balance but at the end of the day good players should be able to play either side comfortably. 

1 hour ago, Diamond Scot said:

When did it become a problem to have two centre backs who kick with the same foot?

For years teams played with two right footed CBs. We have a bunch of left footed CBs. It really shouldnt be an issue.

I think we have bigger problems than having two left feet, lack of flair, imagination, 1st touch and the ability to make a defence splitting pass are more relevant, the constant side & back passing takes any momentum & passion out of our play. Time for a bit more get intae them style play with pace & passion. Before anyone says the worlds progressed past that type of football all the top teams play with pace, aggression & a high tempo pressing style  🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

6 hours ago, RDFH64 said:

I think we have bigger problems than having two left feet, lack of flair, imagination, 1st touch and the ability to make a defence splitting pass are more relevant, the constant side & back passing takes any momentum & passion out of our play. Time for a bit more get intae them style play with pace & passion. Before anyone says the worlds progressed past that type of football all the top teams play with pace, aggression & a high tempo pressing style  🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

I am right up for that..

high temp, aggressive, physical football.

and in answer to the op it’s more of a problem in a three than a two as the centre half’s split out to the wings

6 hours ago, Kirk said:

I don't see it as a problem in any position, especially since they are professionals and should really be able to kick, tackle etc with both feet. If anyone here plays any level of football im pretty sure they are capable of this, I know I certainly can and all I do is play 5s. Yes it probably helps to have some balance but at the end of the day good players should be able to play either side comfortably. 

They should, but they don’t. That’s why the interest in Hickey was considerable, if inexplicable to some. I remember David Robertson having a shocking right foot and Andy’s not much better. He takes up a horrible stance when his opponents block off his left side, leaving himself no option but to play it backwards in field.