Migraines - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Anyone else suffer from these? Any tip on how to stop them occurring or calming them down when they do happen?

Mine are awful, they finish me off for the day. Been to the doctor numerous times and any drugs they give me don't seem to make much difference.

Thought I'd try here as it has the answers for everything else.

Nope, don't suffer thankfully.

Due to no known cause it is difficult to treat and the standard of painkillers seems to be the mitigation, and wait up to 72h

Doesn't help you, but The one thing I do however love about migraines, is they are great example to use when people don't accept brain/mental disorders such as depression /bipolar. No cause, no definitive cure, little physiological observations can be made and annoys the hell out of sufferers when it's claimed it's nothing, get over it.

Good luck, nasty stuff. I'm sure quite a few of us will have similar self induced symptoms on Sunday morning.

Anyone else suffer from these? Any tip on how to stop them occurring or calming them down when they do happen?

Mine are awful, they finish me off for the day. Been to the doctor numerous times and any drugs they give me don't seem to make much difference.

I had them since i was a kid, medicine didn’t work, make sure you get your eyes tested, my prescription being off just a bit made them a lot worse, but im now on insulin every day for type 2 diabetes and now rarely get one, worth getting a blood sugar check too, makes me wonder if i had diabetes when i was younger and that was the root of the headaches

Edited by Al2014

Usually get a really bad one evey 6 months and has put me off work for upto 3 days at a time really horrible stuff. If you work with computers etc best to get an eye test. didnt help myself but someone I know got prescribed glasses and has stopped her getting them.

Codeine Tablets are what ive used, If you take them when you first get a migraine it will usually get rid of it pretty quickly.

Dont think there is a definative answer on a cure but thats my experience

I used to get them when I was younger, never found a cure other than go to be, lie in a darkened room and shut myself off from the world. Horrible things.

Allegedly they are brought on by stress, which I never quite bought into. Some one the worst migraines I had where when I was happy as larry, and there have been other times in my life when I've been really stressed and never got one.

The wife of one of my colleagues used to get them so bad she hadn't been able to go away on any holidays for over 20 years. Couldn't even manage their honeymoon. She went to the Chinese herbal doctor up near Kelvinbridge and he totally cured her. Went there 2 or 3 times and she never got one again.

Have you looked at your diet? quite often they are caused by diet. i.e. chocolate, cheese etc. also eyesight, and too much screen usage. stuff like that. i assume you have done all this though? a lot of the time it is a lifestyle thing but then other times they are inexplainable. you have my sympathy.

I get them when I drink too much coffee. After I had a few I went to the doctor and she told me no caffeine. Find if I stick to one coffee in the morning I'm fine but 2 or more and I'm pretty likely to get one. Luckily for me I don't get the blinding headache, just bright flashes in my eyes and I can't focus on anything

Have you looked at your diet? quite often they are caused by diet. i.e. chocolate, cheese etc. also eyesight, and too much screen usage. stuff like that. i assume you have done all this though? a lot of the time it is a lifestyle thing but then other times they are inexplainable. you have my sympathy.

Yea done all that. Don't eat chocolate. Gave up cheese for about 4 months and that made no difference. Eye prescription is up to date. Spend half I'm week in front of a screen due to work but can't help that!

Tried taken drugs every day from the doctor (which was turning me blind so had to stop). Had drugs I take when the symptoms begin, these sometimes took the sting out of them but not everytime.

I have a heart condition (and my mother has a different one that can be genetic but iv not been diagnosed with due to it being difficult to find, they found out she had it after a stroke) that sometimes causes migraines but the heart doctor basically said "yea that could cause them but there is nothing that can be done"

So live with it :)

Yea done all that. Don't eat chocolate. Gave up cheese for about 4 months and that made no difference. Eye prescription is up to date. Spend half I'm week in front of a screen due to work but can't help that!

Tried taken drugs every day from the doctor (which was turning me blind so had to stop). Had drugs I take when the symptoms begin, these sometimes took the sting out of them but not everytime.

I have a heart condition (and my mother has a different one that can be genetic but iv not been diagnosed with due to it being difficult to find, they found out she had it after a stroke) that sometimes causes migraines but the heart doctor basically said "yea that could cause them but there is nothing that can be done"

So live with it :)

as I say you have my sympathy. take it you have tried wheat based products/dairy etc to see if cutting them out helps? do you drink lots of water?

as I say you have my sympathy. take it you have tried wheat based products/dairy etc to see if cutting them out helps? do you drink lots of water?

Not cut out wheat before but have cut out dairy. Drink on average 1.5-2.5 L of water a day Edited by Gothenburg83

I used to get them when I played fitba or trained in really cold, wet and windy conditions. Shocking things. Eyesight would go to pot, unbelievable heid would come on and when I was younger I'd quite often throw up. Would be out for around two days. Because of the football, I was really fit then, pretty slight and ate carefully. Used to get about one every two months. Now I've stopped playing fitba, put on about two stone, drink Guinness like it's my last pint and haven't had a migraine for about 10 years!

Red wine seems to be a trigger for a couple of folk I know.

You have my sympathy. On a brighter note (and maybe an old wife's tale), the doctor told me only intelligent people get them. There may be some truth in that though - given the lack of posts on this subject from certain board regulars....

Edited by SMcoolJ

I used to get them when I played fitba or trained in really cold, wet and windy conditions. Shocking things. Eyesight would go to pot, unbelievable heid would come on and when I was younger I'd quite often throw up. Would be out for around two days. Because of the football, I was really fit then, pretty slight and ate carefully. Used to get about one every two months. Now I've stopped playing fitba, put on about two stone, drink Guinness like it's my last pint and haven't had a migraine for about 10 years!

Red wine seems to be a trigger for a couple of folk I know.

You have my sympathy. On a brighter note (and maybe an old wife's tale), the doctor told me only intelligent people get them. There may be some truth in that though - given the lack of posts on this subject from certain board regulars....

Interesting. I had a very similar thing as a child which gradually became less and less and disappeared altogether. I was told it was because I had malaria as a baby. used to get a very sore head and then throw up and quite often a temperature. especially worse if i was stuck in the house on a rainy day for some reason - seemed to exacerbate the symptoms, whereas getting out into the fresh air helped. spoken to someone else who suffered in a similar way after having malaria but was never sure if that was the cause.

You didnt have malaria as a young child by any chance did you?

I suffer from them.

The one sure fire thing to cure it is to make myself sick. Down a pint of water and bicarb soda, then another of salt water.... I know it's brutal but it will make you go and then clear the migraine.

There goes my theory then. :-))

Depends, there are many different kinds of migraines, I get them once ever few years, often correlate with hunger& stress. Make me go blind for about 20mins then I get a belter of a headache!

A quick rattle and a few pints always helps aleviate the pain...

I take a funny reaction to caffeine, can make me fall asleep but generally just makes me very sleepy and horny...