Taxing A Car - Buying Privately? - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Taxing A Car - Buying Privately?

With the new laws I am trying to find an answer and appear to be going around in circles!!

I am picking up a new, used, car on Saturday and I think I now need to tax it (and insure it obviously) before I drive it away but what do I need and how do I do this?

Is it as easy as getting the V5C Document number for the car and doing it online or do I need to be already the registered owner of the vehicle before I do this?

#lost ! :blink:

If the car is already taxed by the old owner you don't need to do anything until the tax runs out. The remaining tax is transferred to you with the car. Phone the person you are buying it from and ask how much tax is left on the car.

You need to make sure you are insured before you drive it though just in case you have an accident or get stopped by the fuzz.

If the car is already taxed by the old owner you don't need to do anything until the tax runs out. The remaining tax is transferred to you with the car. Phone the person you are buying it from and ask how much tax is left on the car.

I'm almost sure that this now does not apply.

The new rules say that the Road Fund Licence (or whatever its called) does NOT transfer on ownership. The AA have been complaining that the Govt may actually get extra revenue because of this. Because the buyer has to "tax" the car and the seller might forget to claim his refund.

The new rules say that the Road Fund Licence (or whatever its called) does NOT transfer on ownership. The AA have been complaining that the Govt may actually get extra revenue because of this. Because the buyer has to "tax" the car and the seller might forget to claim his refund.

You don't need to claim, it will be refunded automatically (apparently!).

Though it is only full months that will be refunded, so that's where they will make more money.

This is correct, if you buy the car on say the 15th of the month you have to backdate the tax to the first of the month as tax discs run on a monthly basis, when reclaiming tax you can only reclaim full months. So the new owner has to pay for half a month they have not used, and the seller can only reclaim a full month so loses out on two weeks they have already paid for.