Scott Brown retires from international football - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scott Brown retires from international football

CNelson

16 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Most footballers want to play as much as they can because it’s a short career for them or they want to drag their club career on for longer because that’s where they get paid.

He doesn’t want to play for Scotland anymore, that’s fair enough if he wants to use the time to rest his body more and concentrate on Celtic, I’m absolutely fine with that but I’m not buying the family reasons.

Its three weeks away....four at the most. It’s nothing.

You're probably right about prolonging his club career being  the main reason for his decision. 

However, 3/4wks on holiday with your kids when you have little other time off is everything! It's some of the best times of your life. (as I'm sure playing for Scotland is as well). Hardly nothing. 

That being said I don't really care that much about scott browns kids or his club career as much as I care about qualifying for Euro 2020. So disappointed he has retired. 

I think it's possible brown would have continued had strachan stayed on. But ultimately the manager selection can't revolve around what Scott Brown wants. Although, I'm sure he thinks it should.

I and others have consistently said on here he is our best centre mid option and that's not yet changed, so this is a bit of a (expected) blow. Be interested to see our win ratio with and without brown over the last say 30 games. My gut feel is that we win much more with him leading the team. Although could be wrong.

9 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

According to Keith Jackson this morning we've to blame Regan's decision to sack Strachan as the reason for Brown retiring again.  Now I'm not Regan's biggest fan but you don't pick and choose whether you play for your country or not based on who the Manager is.  That's the same thing that Kris Boyd, rightly, got slated for!

Exactly what I said about Boyd and it goes for anyone as you say. :ok:

Scott Brown has always been the type of player that opposing fans hate and his club fans love. I think that is a testament to him as a player.

I am ignoring all the theories and tabloid rumours about this and go on the facts. He played for us for a decade earning 55 caps and his commitment to the cause in a Scotland jersey in no way can be questioned. He always gave his all. Scotland fans should be big enough to thank him for his service, wish him well and move on to the next player they choose to love to hate.

Thanks Broonie.

10 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

According to Keith Jackson this morning we've to blame Regan's decision to sack Strachan as the reason for Brown retiring again.  Now I'm not Regan's biggest fan but you don't pick and choose whether you play for your country or not based on who the Manager is.  That's the same thing that Kris Boyd, rightly, got slated for!

Today's Daily Record has the spin "great for Celtic/disaster for Scotland" on not one but three different pages.

The media has always been at the forefront of pushing "club v country" nonsense although usually they are more subtle.

Edited by stactuso85

28 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Scott Brown has always been the type of player that opposing fans hate and his club fans love. I think that is a testament to him as a player.

I am ignoring all the theories and tabloid rumours about this and go on the facts. He played for us for a decade earning 55 caps and his commitment to the cause in a Scotland jersey in no way can be questioned. He always gave his all. Scotland fans should be big enough to thank him for his service, wish him well and move on to the next player they choose to love to hate.

Thanks Broonie.

it really can

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

He always put in a shift for us. Okay he has had off days but his effort I won't question. If that is meant about his retiring - every player retires sometime. I recall Dalglish retired a year or two before he retired from club football too.

Dalglish was before my time and its irrelevant to this conversation. The perception of Brown is that he give everything for every game, he had a few off games and I he often gave me the impression he didn't really want to be there. Strutting around like a tough guy and getting silly bookings does't equate to giving your all. He had some good games for us and some poor games but he will be replaced. 

9 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

it really can

Absolutely. 

He walked away from us before then decided when he could be arsed that he fancied a crack at England. For Cale Craig to say his commitment cannot be questioned is just silly.

1 minute ago, Ormond said:

Absolutely. 

He walked away from us before then decided when he could be arsed that he fancied a crack at England. For Cale Craig to say his commitment cannot be questioned is just silly.

I am talking about when he wore the jersey on the pitch. If you feel he never gave his all when he walked across that white line then you are wrong. And the last I checked retiring is not a crime.

Just now, Caledonian Craig said:

I am talking about when he wore the jersey on the pitch. If you feel he never gave his all when he walked across that white line then you are wrong. And the last I checked retiring is not a crime.

I feel he never grew up as a player. Letting us down on the park with stupid immature behaviour. Fuck, he was at it only as recently as the England game at home. 

3 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Dalglish was before my time and its irrelevant to this conversation. The perception of Brown is that he give everything for every game, he had a few off games and I he often gave me the impression he didn't really want to be there. Strutting around like a tough guy and getting silly bookings does't equate to giving your all. He had some good games for us and some poor games but he will be replaced. 

I am not saying he is irreplacable - not for a moment. I just find it pretty pathetic when a player earns over 50 caps for us, retires and gets criticized for it. FFS id McTominay et al came here and read posts they'd be put right off playing for us.

2 minutes ago, Ormond said:

I feel he never grew up as a player. Letting us down on the park with stupid immature behaviour. Fuck, he was at it only as recently as the England game at home. 

I give up. 

Okay if you say so he was a bad player for us even though he got 50+ caps and thank god he has retired as he did nothing for us and gave nothing for the team and would have qualified if he had not been in the side. Happy now?

Edited by Caledonian Craig

Just now, Caledonian Craig said:

I give up. 

Okay if you say so he was a bad player for us even though he got 50+ caps and thank got he has retired as he did nothing for us. Happy now?

Show me where I said he was a bad player? Or just continue to make shit up. :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Show me where I said he was a bad player? Or just continue to make shit up. :rolleyes:

Okay but FFS man just be gracious enough (at this time) to say thanks for the service and leave it at that. Months dowwn the line is the time to pick apart what he was. Is there really a need to say anything else other than thanks and wish him the best. 

For the record he was not my favourite player and I have criticized him several times on here and I am not a Celtic fan. I am just gracious enough to thank him for ten years of service.

4 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Okay but FFS man just be gracious enough (at this time) to say thanks for the service and leave it at that. Months dowwn the line is the time to pick apart what he was. Is there really a need to say anything else other than thanks and wish him the best. 

For the record he was not my favourite player and I have criticized him several times on here and I am not a Celtic fan. I am just gracious enough to thank him for ten years of service.

I will not offer thanks to someone who used us as his toy. I also couldn’t give two hoots what his club was. No idea why you even had to mention that. 

Edited by Ormond

5 minutes ago, Ormond said:

I will not offer thanks to someone who used us as his toy. I also couldn’t give two hoots what his club was. No idea why you even had to mention that. 

I mentioned it in case you felt I was a Celtic fan posting through nothing but club loyalties so dinnae read things that aren't there.

54 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I am not saying he is irreplacable - not for a moment. I just find it pretty pathetic when a player earns over 50 caps for us, retires and gets criticized for it. FFS id McTominay et al came here and read posts they'd be put right off playing for us.

Are you new to football? Every player has critics or fans who dislike him. I’m also sure players hear and see a lot worse than you see on here. You’re being very dramatic.

I think Scott Brown will be a massive loss. He is a driving force and inspirational figure and would be so in most teams in my opinion. I’ve watched him often in the past couple of years and he’s been fantastic at every level he’s played, with a couple of exceptions I’m sure.  I remember watching the capitulation in Slovakia and thinking no way would this be happening if he was on the pitch.Taking him out and putting anyone else available to us in his place will leave us down massively, but unfortunately that’s tge decision he’s made. I don’t think he deserves any criticism for this, he stated why and he’s been through enough in his personal life to know that real life is more important. Happy retirement Scott, back to hating you on a Saturday ( he was awesome on Sunday tho!!)

On 27/02/2018 at 8:01 PM, vanderark14 said:

Are you new to football? Every player has critics or fans who dislike him. I’m also sure players hear and see a lot worse than you see on here. You’re being very dramatic.

Perhaps. But are we not all Scotland supporters? Okay I get that doesn't mean we think every player is the dogs bollox regardless of whether they are or not - I get that. All I am saying this was our skipper with 55 caps so one of our most capped players (in top twenty) so to not wish him the best and respect his decision to retire is just a wee bit mean. As I said he was not my favourite player either but am willing to thank him for his service.

50 minutes ago, Langtonian said:

Its club allegiances and the dislike/ hatred of certain clubs that determine some folk opinion on players.The player/ person ability is secondary

Not for me,Gordon Tierney, mcgregor and Armstrong should all be in our squad if on form. I’m no fan of brown because I thin’ his style of play isn’t outdated. I think he’s a ned and a thug, he proves it time and time again yet our outdated media and some of the Scotland support heep praise on him for it.

He has talent but he could have been more if he wasn’t so obsessed with his hardman image.

Edited by vanderark14