So no game till march 2019 then. - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

So no game till march 2019 then.

bonny78

18 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I was sceptical when I first heard about it and thought it would be better if third place in qualifying still got a playoff. 

Now I know how it’s going to work I think it’s a great idea. If we make the playoffs (hopefully we won’t need them) then we know we’ll definitely be playing a team of a similar level to us. 

I think it would also take some pressure off of us in the qualifiers if we knew we already had the playoffs in the bag in case we don’t get second place. 

It also means more competitive games to travel to and it will be something different. 

Double-edged sword this. Sometimes you need pressure. I could see us obtaining a playoff NL place, then going into the qualifying groups proper, suffering a mediocre start and instead of fighting tooth and nail to get back into it, just taking our foot right off the gas - similar to teams playing in the League Cup who have one eye on another competition/prize.

Edited by Rude Gullit

5 hours ago, Rude Gullit said:

Double-edged sword this. Sometimes you need pressure. I could see us obtaining a playoff NL place, then going into the qualifying groups proper, suffering a mediocre start and instead of fighting tooth and nail to get back into it, just taking our foot right off the gas - similar to teams playing in the League Cup who have one eye on another competition/prize.

Could work that way I suppose but I think having a playoff place secured before the qualifiers start will allow us to relax against the so called lesser teams that we tend to struggle against (Lithuania and Georgia spring to mind). 

Put it this way, I’d rather get to the playoffs than not reach them. We’d also be full of confidence going into the qualifiers if we finish top of our NL group. 

2 minutes ago, bonny78 said:

When have we ever secured anything by the way?????

We secured qualification in 1954, 1958, 1974, 1978, 1982, 1986, 1990, 1992, 1996 and 1998. 

We also secured a playoff in qualifying for Euro 2000 and 2004. 

We’ve been a bit quiet on the old securing things front recently right enough. :lol: