Does This Place Not Allow Different Opinions? - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Does This Place Not Allow Different Opinions?

This is a website for the Scottish 'national' team. If you believe Scotland is a region then perhaps you were looking for teamGB.obeyyourqeen.com

A bit of an ignorant attitude, don't you think?

We've all been supporting the Scottish 'national' team for the past 150 years, no matter our political beliefs.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There have been union flags burned and pictures posted on here before, i seem to remember Bzzzz posting a few pictures of his mate burning one hanging off some sort of sword. I seem to remember great delight from quite a few. Looking from the outside the Yes and No vote have been as bad as one another no voters are called quislings, selfish C**ts, loyalist scum etc beofre and after the vote no i dont know about you but if you want to change my opinion calling me names isnt likely to win me over. Speaking as someone who has frequented this board for a number of years as a guest I get that is likely to have a lot more nationalist leanings than average but this really should be rebranded as the SNP TAMB.

Sorry nobby. We shall select a fair proportion of members and make sure they change their political leanings because that would make the board a fairer place. Hmmm..,

Lots of nationalists of the national team board...duuuh.

With the best will in the world i would suggest that pretty much everone in Scotland would want England to lose againt you later this year but not everyone wants to be independent. I get there will be more nats on here for independence, however what this board had done is batter down and away anyone that differed from that viewpoint. I have no issue with that but spare me the pretence that this board is welcoming to all Scotland fans regardless of political view because that isnt true. there have been a number of posters over the years that have walked away because of it . Like i said I am a guest here and it is your board but as an outsider looking in the Tartan Army couldnt be described as the worlds friendliest fans.

A bit of an ignorant attitude, don't you think?

We've all been supporting the Scottish 'national' team for the past 150 years, no matter our political beliefs.

Suddenly we are all supporters and posters together are we Barry. After you come on here and slate dozens of members for their opinions following what was a very emotional time for alot of us.

it was a stupid post to make regardless of your leanings, and done deliberately to wind people up. says a bit for your character I am afraid.

Sorry nobby. We shall select a fair proportion of members and make sure they change their political leanings because that would make the board a fairer place. Hmmm..,

you dont need to do that , just encourage people to debate without referring to one another as quislings, selfish c*nts etc

Edited by Nobby

With the best will in the world i would suggest that pretty much everone in Scotland would want England to lose againt you later this year but not everyone wants to be independent. I get there will be more nats on here for independence, however what this board had done is batter down and away anyone that differed from that viewpoint. I have no issue with that but spare me the pretence that this board is welcoming to all Scotland fans regardless of political view because that isnt true. there have been a number of posters over the years that have walked away because of it . Like i said I am a guest here and it is your board but as an outsider looking in the Tartan Army couldnt be described as the worlds friendliest fans.

That Nobby is complete bollocks. prior to and during the referendum there was plenty of debate on here and differing opinions given for a lot of the policies and arguments being made. the majority favoured the Yes side due to the political beliefs of a lot of people on here, but it was far from exclusive. I think most people on here appreciate a well thought out argument form whichever side - you included seeing as you regularly get involved in the debate.

What most of us object to is being wound up by idiots using the No result to have a go.

you dont need to do that , just encorage people to debate without referring to one another as quislings, selfish c*nts etc

that was a reaction to a wind up post and well you know it Nobby. always going to happen giving the rawness of feelings at the moment. wrong yes, but predictable.

If you see a post that crosses the line report it or if you prefer quote it and point out that it is rude or offensive.

I notice you and others complaining about all this 'abuse' are never specific, never actually quote anything...

A few are losing their tempers with people doing trolling. The mods appear to be dealing with it.

Like I say if you can find anything other than anger and despair in the immediate aftermath of the most disappointing day in many of our lives I invite you to do so.

You are just trying to shut down the justified rage using all this pish it looks to me.

Edited by thplinth

Suddenly we are all supporters and posters together are we Barry. After you come on here and slate dozens of members for their opinions following what was a very emotional time for alot of us.

it was a stupid post to make regardless of your leanings, and done deliberately to wind people up. says a bit for your character I am afraid.

I wasn't particularly slating anyone to be quite honest.

I most certainly wasn't on the wind-up.

I haven't posted on here for years but occasionally pop in for a browse, especially before big games.

Whilst I wasn't all that surprised by the reaction to the vote, the urge to split our support is a tad unsettling so I felt the need to comment.

If you see a post that crosses the line report it or if you prefer quote it and point out that it is rude or offensive.

I notice you and others complaining about all this 'abuse' are never specific, never actually quote anything...

A few are losing their tempers with people doing trolling. The mods appear to be dealing with it.

Like I say if you can find anything other than anger and despair in the immediate aftermath of the most disappointing day in many of our lives I invite you to do so.

You are just trying to shut down the justified rage using all this pish it looks to me.

Justified rage !!! you lost fair and square you can moan all you lke that the media didnt like you and that westminster offered more powers at the last minute. You lost because your argument wasnt strong enough and had a fair few holes in it no matter what those impartial russian observers said. Next time make sure you get all the money questions sorted first including pensions, mortgages and currency etc and I reckon you might pull it off but I cant see that being for at least 10-15 years .

Justified rage !!! you lost fair and square you can moan all you lke that the media didnt like you and that westminster offered more powers at the last minute. You lost because your argument wasnt strong enough and had a fair few holes in it no matter what those impartial russian observers said. Next time make sure you get all the money questions sorted first including pensions, mortgages and currency etc and I reckon you might pull it off but I cant see that being for at least 10-15 years .

May I ask, what were the issues on pensions and mortgages that hadn't been "sorted out"?

The sort of No voters on this board are Loyalists....their twisted political views are tied up with the team they support.

There's not a snowball's chance in hell that any of them would consider voting yes, ever.

That is complete rubbish Rossy, and also completely unfair to some posters.

The union flag burning the night before didn't happen. A no voter copied it from a stock image and posted it on Facebook. The picture was taken in Tehran in 2011. And thanks for the lesson in hand gestures, now I know it was a red hand and not a nazi salute that makes it ok then. Seriously this has got to be another wind up!

The union jack wasn't burned the day before you ing m0rOn. There was a picture going around twitter but it was found out to be from Iraq about ten years earlier!

Both complete rubbish - there was a Union flag burned at the Cenotaph in George Square on either Wednesday or Thursday night, I can't remember which. There were also other pictures circulated on twitter - the one I saw was from some ritual that is carried out at Bannockburn every year apparently.

Think it was glasgowmancity who said he voted no but was close to voting yes.

Yeah, it was.

May I ask, what were the issues on pensions and mortgages that hadn't been "sorted out"?

No control over interest rates, plus the possibility of exchange rates coming into the equation. It basically all still boiled down to currency.

Edited by Glasgowmancity

I wasn't particularly slating anyone to be quite honest.

I most certainly wasn't on the wind-up.

I haven't posted on here for years but occasionally pop in for a browse, especially before big games.

Whilst I wasn't all that surprised by the reaction to the vote, the urge to split our support is a tad unsettling so I felt the need to comment.

Fair enough. But you could have done it Ina slightly less antagonistic manner could you not?

You only have to compare the Yes campaign gatherings in George Sq with the No's gatherings. The idea that it is the YES side that is intolerant of others is just another reversal of truth. This is what they do. Bleating on about folk being nasty when they are the nastiest group imaginable. Complaining how the hhun word is bigotted when they themselves are the bigots. On and on with this tedious crap. They must think we button up the back.

Both complete rubbish - there was a Union flag burned at the Cenotaph in George Square on either Wednesday or Thursday night, I can't remember which. There were also other pictures circulated on twitter - the one I saw was from some ritual that is carried out at Bannockburn every year apparently.

A union flag was not burned in George Square. The image circulated 'proving' that it was also had a US and Israeli flag in it. A quick google revealed the original picture (before cropping) which was taken somewhere in the middle east a few years ago.

To go back to the original point though, of course you can have a different opinion.

However, seeing as its a message board and is full of discussion, I think it's to be expected that if you express a different opinion from some then you will be questioned on it by them.

Is that not the nature of discussion?

If NO voters come on a board for Scotland supporters just after a negative vote for independence spouting unionist views then.....well, I think you can finish that sentence for yourselves.

I really don't see why the NO lot feel the need to come on here and constantly be putting your point of view across, they did win the vote after all. Why do they need to be comforted? Are they worried that they wont be welcome at matches? In Dortmund there was hardly a mention of the upcoming vote, so I think the TA separate politics from football for the most part when at games...there were plenty of YES flags but no songs that I heard.

Therefore I would say that it's a free world, but if one joins debates which are clearly aimed at those who sided with the YES campaign, and gives forth Unionist views, then one shouldn't be surprised when people get miffed, and one should strap a pair on forthwith.

Edited by Hessen

I still can't get my head around how you can be proud of the union, vote no, and support Scotland. I have never understood it. Is it just for the atmosphere?

Would Unionists follow a UK team and wear the kilt?

It's perfectly plausible to support Scotland and vote No.

There's no reason why you can't feel pride in being Scottish and all that is great about this nation, support our teams in sport etc., but also be content with the Union.

It amazes me that some people can't get their head around this.

It's perfectly plausible to support Scotland and vote No.

There's no reason why you can't feel pride in being Scottish and all that is great about this nation, support our teams in sport etc., but also be content with the Union.

It amazes me that some people can't get their head around this.

It's because many of recognise Scotland as a country.

You don't, we get that.

But if you can't see that there's an irony in supporting Scotland as a sporting 'nation', and then voting to deny the right for it actually to be a nation....then you need to open your eyes.